It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
(male)

Demodion HB User
Alcohol and weight

Hi all,

First time poster here.

My questions is as follows:

How much, if at all, should I be concerned about weight gain from drinking red wine?

I'm a 28 year old guy weighing roughly 70 kilos (150 pounds) and 186 cms tall (6,1 ft). I excersise three times a week and I really wanna get a bit trim, not looking to gain a lot of muscle but kinda wanna get rid of a little blubber on my belly, especially sitting around my waste line.

Anyway.

I like to have a glass of red wine or two a few weeknights a week (I will typically drink between 5-10 drinks per weekend so I'm no saint, but here I'm mainly asking about during-the-week stuff). I know that drinking beer is fattening, but what about wine?

I was just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot having my few glasses of wine in terms of wanting to lose a little fat around my stomach area.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Alcohol and weight

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, more than carbohydrates or protein (4 calories per gram), but less than fat (9 calories per gram).

But your five or ten weekend drinks are likely to be much greater in terms of calories than your weeknight wine.

Your stated height and weight put you on the low end of what is usually considered a "healthy" weight range. If you feel that you have too high a body fat percentage, you may want to remedy that by trying to gain muscle through healthy eating and strength exercise, since losing more weight (either fat or muscle) could put you in the "underweight" range, which is not that healthy. Increased muscle will burn more calories at rest, which will make losing excess body fat easier.

Last edited by tjlhb; 05-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

cocos421 HB User

6"1' and 150 pound???!!!!!
And you want to lose weight?

To answer you question, in my own opinion and experience, I never gained weight or got a belly from drinking beer or wine. And I was a big drinker, too.
Then again, I'm female, so I don't know if that makes any difference.
Only thing that put weight on me was eating too much.
I came to a point where I ate very little so I could drink more wine. I still lost weight.

I agree with what the other poster said.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
(male)

Demodion HB User

Thanks for the replies. Very informative :-)

Yeah well I don't wanna lose weight, I'm aware that, if anything, I'm a bit underweight. It used to be worse. I used to be 60 kilos (132 pounds) until I was like 25. I have however noticed some fat or blubber settling around my waist. Love handles I believe you call them in english - or the beginning of love handles. Now it's nothing horrible at all, and I'm not overly distressed about it, I was just curious if I'm countering my workout by incorporating alcohol more into my every day, even if it's just one glass of wine a couple of nights a week. I used to only drink on the weekends you see.

I run three times a week and no matter how many sit ups I try to do, the area around my waste just seems to keep bulging.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I understand! I know many very slim people who are underweight or near the lower end of their weight range who still have their trouble areas. Actually, you might want to consider having less alcohol because some people gain weight only in their midsection from the drinks. I tend to put on weight in my belly if I drink too much alcohol, eat too many carbs, or have too much processed foods. I'd limit yourself to one glass of red wine per day, then occasionally treat yourself to more. During my college years I had plenty to drink (lol!) but had to cut it down to about twice a month. Even once a week of 10+ drinks would make me gain weight, even with healthy eating. Alcohol calories really add up fast! Even just a shot has 100 calories without any mixers. So maybe try to have a smaller amount of wine during your weekdays and you may still be able to splurge on the weekends if you aren't overeating. Unfortunately some of us have a hard time losing weight in some areas without losing weight all over, so give that a try! I eat more fresh foods like fruits and veggies and limit my drinks and I've been getting my abs flatter.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodion View Post
I run three times a week and no matter how many sit ups I try to do, the area around my waste just seems to keep bulging.
Trying to spot reduce abdominal fat by doing situps won't be effective. Indeed, if you start out with very little muscle mass there, doing situps may make your abdomen larger, by causing the muscle under the fat the grow. While more muscle is good, having it just in the abdomen is not likely to be very helpful for strength or health.

You may want to add exercises for your larger muscles like pullups and rows (back), pushups and dips (chest), squats (legs), or similar exercises using weights.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
(male)

Demodion HB User

Thanks. Yeah I try to get as much of an all-round excersise when I go.

I just weighed myself today for the first time since I started my three-days-a-week excersise thingy, and my weight is exactly the same today as it was when I began. I had seriously expected/hoped that I would have gained maybe 8 pounds or so seeing as I feel like I've been eating more in this period as well as lifting weights as part of my work out routine.

It's funny, I feel borderline guilty for even bringing this up, but there is no 'weight gain' board here. In fact - not to whine - any discourse concerning weight focuses strictly on the people that need/want to lose weight and never on those that might be underweight and struggling to gain weight (yes, it can be a struggle).

Like I said previously, until I was 25 I weighed 132 pounds as a 6ft1 male. That is something I consider to be as much (or almost as much) of a hindrance socially (if not health wise) as being overweight.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
(male)

Demodion HB User

Thanks, hadn't spotted that!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodion View Post
I just weighed myself today for the first time since I started my three-days-a-week excersise thingy, and my weight is exactly the same today as it was when I began.
If you are a beginner, it is possible that you may have gained muscle and lost fat. If so, that would generally be considered a good thing, even if the weight scale shows no change.

You may want to read the other recent thread about "what is the ideal weight?" for a discussion on looking beyond just your weight when assessing your body composition.

Last edited by tjlhb; 05-12-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Closed Thread