It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
(female)

Carena HB User
Question Peanut butter calorie information

There's this really nice organic peanut butter sold in one of the health stores where I live. But it had a wrong nutritional information on the bottle, like a misprint sort of, where they put that the calorie content per serving was 128calories, but in the serving size they wrote that 1 serving is 100g.

So I called them and said there must be misprint on the label because 128 cal for 100g of peanut butter was way too low and I requested that they give me accurate information. They promised to go to the lab. and do a testing. And today they called me with this information:

100g contains 499 calories
32.4 g fat, 46.3g carb, and 28.1 gram protein.

I've compared this info to the info of the peanut butter in the nutrition tracker that I'm using as well as the roasted peanuts calorie content. The info for the peanut butter (average brand) in my nutrition tracker is 593 calories while its got only 19.3g of carbohydrates. And peanuts have 585 calories.

Is it possible to make peanut butter with a calorie content less than of the peanuts themselves? Do you think 499 cal per 100g sounds too low?

And can there be such a huge difference in the amount of carbohydrates from one peanut butter to another?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Peanut butter calorie information

Peanut butter is a highly processed product and very seductive. You might want to think about trying raw peanuts instead. Raw peanuts don't taste as good as roasted peanuts so there's less chance of eating too many. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

I'm a little confused by your statement, John..that PB is "highly processed". I only eat 100% natural PB...the kind without any added salt, sugar, oils, anything! The only ingredient is peanuts...that's it. The peanuts are grinded into PB...there is nothing more done to them. How can this be considered a "highly processed" food?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
(female)

Carena HB User

I wish any of this would answer my question, but it doesnt.

I'm not asking for advice on how or what to eat.

I just want to know if that information for that particular peanut butter sounds correct. Do you think I can trust it?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carena View Post
I wish any of this would answer my question, but it doesnt.

I'm not asking for advice on how or what to eat.

I just want to know if that information for that particular peanut butter sounds correct. Do you think I can trust it?
Carena,

When they called back with the corrected number of calories the number was substantially higher. So evidently they do make mistakes. A mistake so big doesn't do much to help consumer confidence so I don't blame you for still being doubtful.

Here's a possible explanation: It's likely that not all peanut plants are the same, not grown in the same location and not harvested at the same maturity. I used to work in citrus processing and it's very true for citrus trees. There can be huge differences in quality and sweetness from one orange grove to another.

Usually we have no choice but to rely on what food processors tell us. It's unfortunate but true.

Closed Thread