It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
(male)

citycrawler HB User
Any ideas on why I'm not losing?

25, male ~260 pounds. 5'10".
Started dieting 2 months ago. About a month ago I started to exercise. I use a stationary bike 30min in the morning and 30min the evening. Using different set programs so I have to bike fast at certain parts and bike against resistance. The bike says I'm doing about 10miles a day (5 each time I bike) and that I'm burning about 400 calories total. I also try to lift weights every other day. I've lost 20-30 pounds but nothing in the last month. I don't think I'm losing inches because my clothes fit the same.

Here's what I ate today:
morning - cereal and milk. or oatmeal, milk with a banana. use skim milk
lunch - 2 chicken legs, mashed potatoes, peas
dinner - whole grain lean cuisine or a kashi frozen meal with a salad
dessert - nonfat frozen yogurt sometimes no sugar added as well.
Snacks - popcorn or baked lays and fruit and maybe something else.
Drinks - 1-2 diet soft drinks. maybe some orange juice. the rest water all throughout the day.

Is this too much or too little? I guess I probably need more fruit/veggies. I've tried increasing what I ate because since I exercise for about an hour each day, I thought I needed to consume more. I'm going to stay exercising and some dieting regardless with how much I lose. Just wondering what I can do to improve.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Any ideas on why I'm not losing?

1. You may want to try to track your body fat percentage, or some proxy like waist size, instead of just weight.

2. You may want to track your eating more accurately, at least for a week. Some of the things you list could be higher calorie than you think. For example, what is in the "salad", and was the "cereal" something wholesome like oatmeal or some sugary junky cereal?

Yes, try to eat more vegetables. Stay away from junk foods. Baked junk food is still junk food. Eat skim milk plain yogurt only -- flavored yogurts are typically high in added sugar. Avoid sweet drinks -- even artificially sweetened diet sodas may stimulate your hunger and cause you to eat more other calories (and it is better to eat whole fruits rather than drink fruit juice, which concentrates the sugars and loses the fiber).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

XOX HB User
Re: Any ideas on why I'm not losing?

[QUOTE=citycrawler;3989207]25, male ~260 pounds. 5'10".
Started dieting 2 months ago. About a month ago I started to exercise. I use a stationary bike 30min in the morning and 30min the evening. Using different set programs so I have to bike fast at certain parts and bike against resistance. The bike says I'm doing about 10miles a day (5 each time I bike) and that I'm burning about 400 calories total. I also try to lift weights every other day. I've lost 20-30 pounds but nothing in the last month. I don't think I'm losing inches because my clothes fit the same.

Here's what I ate today:
morning - cereal and milk. or oatmeal, milk with a banana. use skim milk
lunch - 2 chicken legs, mashed potatoes, peas
dinner - whole grain lean cuisine or a kashi frozen meal with a salad
dessert - nonfat frozen yogurt sometimes no sugar added as well.
Snacks - popcorn or baked lays and fruit and maybe something else.
Drinks - 1-2 diet soft drinks. maybe some orange juice. the rest water all throughout the day.

I would say don't eat yogourt at night but instead eat it after lunch or like a snack before dinner time. Don't eat popcorn, baked lays, and soda.
Your breakfast and lunch seems fine. But your dinner seems heavier than your breakfast and lunch. I think you should eat lightest for dinner.
If you eat dessert, you should eat it during day time like after breakfast or after lunch. No desserts after dinner. I would say if you are really craving for sweets just eat a slice of fruit.
Since your body is stronger now you may try to exercise even harder. I also have the same problem I stopped losing weight after the sixth month because I am doing what I was doing six months ago maybe that's why there is no weight change.

Closed Thread