It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
(female)

chongo HB User
Whats up with me?

hey all.

i need some advice.... i am currently a size 10/12. this may sound slim but im really not. im extremely curvy. huge hips n thighs. i have a lot of fat on me. =[ i hardly eat. well i eat when im supposed to eat. only eat when im hungry and im always watching what im eating, but im not loosing any fat! a few years a go i was a size 16 and lost a lot of weight. but now i cant shift any! i need to loose a nit of weight because its really affecting my confidence.
Ive heard that i could have an underactive thyroid gland? cud this be the case?
any suggestions.?

x

Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Whats up with me?

chongo,

Arnold Schwarzenegger, governor of California, once said that he watches what he eats. He said: "I watch it and then I eat it."

Seriously, what you have described is difficult to deal with. It might call for extreme measures. Have you ever considered going on a plant based diet? The advantage of a plant based diet is that you get to eat a greater volume of food but the food is generally lower in calories. At the same time, it raises your consumption of fiber (animal protein does not contain fiber).

Consuming more fiber from NATURAL WHOLE FOODS will help you to excrete calories. On average, you will eliminate 7 calories for every gram of fiber you consume. Try to get about 35 to 50 grams of fiber per day from NATURAL WHOLE FOODS.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-21-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Ok...this may sound like a silly question on a weight loss board but...are you getting enough exercise? You don't mention exercise or working out in your post, so I apologize if that came off sounding a bit harsh. There are 2 components to successful weight loss - diet & exercise. It's a pretty straight forward concept - there has to be a calorie deficit in order for weight loss to occur.

To answer your other question regarding underactive thyroid...yes, it certainly can be possible that you have hypothyroidism. The only way to know for sure, is to have a doctor run a complete thyroid panel to check your TSH, Free T4 & T3, and the antibodies for Hashimoto's.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

It's possible, but you'll need to visit a doctor to get some tests done to find out for sure and rule out any underlying health conditions.

I agree that exercise is a huge factor. I work out HARD 5 times a week to stay in shape. If I work out only a few times a week, I am not able to maintain the size I am now. Definitely make sure to exercise b/c that will help your metabolism! I go running and lift weights. You'll want to make sure the workout isn't too easy for you and that you aren't doing the same thing every time for months. You have to change it up occasionally or you'll hit a plateau as your body gets used to the routine.

What kind of foods are you eating? I hear many people say "I don't eat much" but sometimes it's about the kinds of food you are eating and not how much. People always tell me I eat like a bird, but honestly I feel like I eat a good amount. I just eat smaller meals, but more often, so it just seems that way. Let us know what a typical day of meals looks like for you and maybe we can offer some more advice! I'd love to help if I can!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

chongo HB User

yeah i use the gym 3 times a week. sorry for not mentioning it Lol =]

x

Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

chongo HB User

i live on salad lol. i eat a variety of foods and i limit out fatty foods. Yeah i think it is best to visit the doctor. =]

Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

But what is in the salad? Also, many foods with no fat are still rather junky (e.g. soda, fat free processed snack foods, etc.).

As far as the gym goes, it depends on what you do there. Also, it depends on how active you are outside the gym.

Remember also that weight includes both fat and lean mass. If you have little lean mass, you may be light, but still have too much body fat. And not having much lean (muscle) mass reduces your metabolism, making it harder to lose body fat. If you have little lean mass, you may want to try to gain muscle, which could make you heavier but (as the added muscle increases your metabolism) less fat in the future.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Well, I think a doctor's visit is a good idea anyway! It's good to make sure and rule any of that out first.

If you work out 3 times a week and have been doing that for a while, you might have to change it up. I used to work out 3-4 times a week and now HAVE to go 5 times a week for about an hour to get results. I do vigorous cardio for about 30 minutes and strength train for about 30 minutes. I used to only do cardio and didn't get as good results either. So, I do both. I also had to switch from elliptical machine to running. The elliptical wasn't really giving me good results even though it's usually a good form of exercise.

With your salads, do you put meat in them? Salads alone with just lettuce and veggies often doesn't give you the nutrients your body needs. I like to use grilled chicken in my salads, or crumple up veggie bacon in them. I also prefer to eat spinach leaves instead of lighter lettuce since it's better for you. Then of course, I watch the salad dressings (I like the South Beach ranch and don't like to use a lot at a time, or a light vinaigrette) and don't put cheese in my salads, or use very little reduced fat shredded cheese. I love salads b/c you can change them up and do so much with them!

Hopefully you can get your doctor's visit soon and make sure there isn't anything going on. I know that is frustrating! I also find it helpful to find a free online calorie tracking tool. You just enter in your foods and it adds it all up for you! Easy and fast!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
(female)

chongo HB User

thanks for the advise =]

x

Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
(female)

chongo HB User

yeas i use grilled chicken in salads.... im quite active outside of the gym too. i play girls football and walk to and from college? =S

x

Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

goodlou HB User

I've tried many diets over the last few years and i don't believe in them - i love food and can't deny myself for the rest of my life. the only way i've found that works for me is to do the following things

Only eat when you're hungry - sounds so simple but i eat all the time when i'm not hungry for various... bored etc

Chew your food slowly, a recent study in the british medical journal found that people who ate at a leisurely pace consumed 35% less calories than people who ate quickly

Stop when you're full - these three things by themselves make sure that i'm only eating the amount of food my body needs to produce energy

I also cut back on meat because (as someone already posted) you can eat more food for less calories, and I exercise as much as possible

I'm not doing them religiously (yet) but i've lost 10 pounds with little effort over the last 4 weeks

good luck!

Last edited by goodlou; 05-25-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
(female)

chongo HB User

Thanks =]

x

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
(female)

MsAffliction09 HB User
bodywrap this weekend to lose inches

Hi, I just was posting elsewhere about a supplement that helps with weight loss. I'll post what I wrote. Really why I wanted to post is I just bought a new treat for myself, a wrap. Supposedly I'm going to lose inches without any work..I will let you know. Anyone try them before? do they work?
Hi everyone, I've been out of an exercise routine now for over a year and I've recently returned to the gym to try to make muscle tone. In addition, (I work for a supplement company so I know the answer to one of the questions you guys are asking) I am trying on myself a new product I am seeing a lot of called a "bodywrap". It smells minty and I've been told I wrap myself like a mummy wherever I want to get smaller and it works.
Anyone here done it? I haven't yet, so I was wondering about some feedback..I will post my results in a few days.
I have a personal opinion about supplements and weight loss. Firstly, exercise is #1, the other lady posting is correct. But after that, assuming you are limiting your breads, pastas, rices, and sugars, I would personally use a product that contains r-ala. The most important thing is the r...because there is r and s versions. The s is cheap, the r is not. It is a strong ingredient that is used in 3rd world countries for diabetes where insulin is too expensive. To me, this means if I eat right, exercise right, and can't resist a small bag of fries, I don't feel so bad because I know this supplement makes my body more sensitive to insulin and therefore processes the junk more efficiently.
I hope that was good info for you and any ladies that have done these wraps, please let me know. It seems so thin and minty...I can't see it working. I plan on trying it this weekend.

Closed Thread