It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
(male)

TimmyRA HB User
Smile Im trying to lose weight...

I am 5'8" and I used to weigh 265 but I now only weigh about 190 I lost the weight from eating healthy, cutting out fast food and soda. Now I wanna get down to about 170 and start working on my abs. I really want to do this and at least be close to 170 by august. Im starting to run, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips to achieve my goal. How many calories can I burn and it still be healthy and how long do I need to run before it starts burning fat?
Thanks for your help, I cant wait to hear from you.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

melody2181 HB User
Re: Im trying to loose weight...

hello im not sure if this will be of any help to you but i tried the nut diet well mixed nut and fruit i only ate small handfulls when i felt hungry but i also took a multi vitamin and i lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks along side this i walked for 4 miles a day but to achieve this i just walked around the house and garden i hope this might help a little and good luck x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Looks like you are really dedicated to reach your goal and good for you.

Please keep in mind that weight loss combined with muscle building is very specialized and special nutrition (additional protein) is usually needed in addition to eating healthy, to accomplish optimum results. You wouldn't want to do more harm than good to your health.

Try walking into a sports nutrition shop and get some free advice or consult with others in the know as to safe programs suited to you.

All the best,
choc

Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

melody2181 HB User

oh and you need to burn more calories than you eat to lose weight

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Im trying to lose weight...

Showing your abs means (a) having some muscle development there, and (more importantly) (b) getting to a low enough body fat percentage (typically under 10%). Few men have that low a body fat percentage, so if showing your abs is your primary goal, you have to be very dedicated at cutting the body fat (and that gets harder the lower you get).

You may want to consider adding weight training of your large muscles like back (e.g. pullups, rows), chest (e.g. pushups, dips, bench press), upper legs (e.g. squats) in order to make them stronger. Although be aware that as you get more fit and less fat, losing fat while gaining muscle becomes much more difficult, which is why those with good physical fitness sometimes alternate periods of cutting (losing mostly fat) and bulking (gaining mostly muscle), both of which take dedication (it is easy to lose muscle and gain fat), though different types of eating and exercise.

As far as running or any cardio exercise goes, the higher the intensity, the more calories you burn for a given amount of time. However, if you go at a very high intensity (anaerobic), you can only go for short sprints. Some people intentionally do that in intervals (high intensity interval training). But if you plan to have a long run, you need to stay at aerobic intensity.

Last edited by tjlhb; 05-21-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
(female)

trychocolate HB User

excellent post from tjhlb. It's the kind of information people really need who are serious about weight loss and gaining muscle mass and want to approach it the right way instead of guessing and not getting the right results, or like you say, losing valuable muscle mass.

Hope TimmyRA and others benefit from it.

choc

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

One other thing about running -- get good running shoes that fit comfortably and are designed for how much you pronate (roll your foot inward through your stride).

Closed Thread