It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

PinkFlower HB User
Is it normal to gain 12lbs in a year?

Hi everybody, in 2005 I weighted 156 pounds but with diet and exercise I managed to lose about 40 pounds. I was down to 108 pounds but over this last year my weight has shot back up to 120 pounds. I have been exercising every other day and eating pretty much the same foods as I did when I lost the weight. Does anyone know if there could be a problem with this?

Last edited by PinkFlower; 05-26-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Is it normal to gain 12lbs in a year?

Weight alone is not enough to know what is going on. To gain 12 pounds, the following could have occurred (possibly in combination):

* You got fatter. (usually a bad thing, unless your body fat percentage was below essential amounts)
* You got more muscular. (usually a good thing)
* You got pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

PinkFlower HB User

Thanks for your help tjlhb. I wasn't smart enough to take my BMI when I lost all that weight but I defiantly feel a lot flabbier than I did before. If it matters I am a 25 year old female.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlower View Post
Thanks for your help tjlhb. I wasn't smart enough to take my BMI when I lost all that weight but I defiantly feel a lot flabbier than I did before. If it matters I am a 25 year old female.
BMI is just a calculation based on height and weight (BMI = (mass in kilograms) / (height in meters)^2 ). As such, it has the same limitations that weight alone has in assessing whether you are fat. Although if your BMI is 19 or less, you could be underweight, in which case gaining weight is generally suggested (but unless you have a body fat percentage that is very low, it is best to try to make much of the gains to be muscle).

What you may want to consider is tracking your body fat percentage, or some proxy like waist size. Waist size, measured at navel level, should generally be no more than half your height, and, for non-pregnant women, less than 0.8 times your hip size, measured at the largest part.

There are many ways to measure body fat percentage. The more convenient and less expensive ways are not that accurate in an absolute sense, but may be useful in giving trends over time.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Food diaries are an awesome idea. You just have to make sure to record every bite and every beverage. Then you can take a look at it and see what might be causing the problem. Or, you will eat better since you know you have to write it down!

You might be too used to your exercise routine, making it not work as well. I have to work our 5 times a week vigorously to maintain my weight. I used to work out 3-4 times a week and started gaining! I'm a healthy eater but am not naturally thin and have to work at it. You might want to change up your routine if you have been doing the same thing for a while.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

PinkFlower HB User

Thanks everyone for your help!

Closed Thread