It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User
Atkins 3rd time, not losing anymore...advice?

I did Atkins about 5 years ago and had major success. Then pregnancy and babies and breastfeeding. After I was finished breastfeeding, I did the Atkins diet about 2 years ago and successfully lost the weight and was down to the size I wanted to be. A whole year went by and I didn't cheat, then came Christmas the second year, so I gained some weight and started cheating about once a week. Still I only gained 5 lbs and maintained that for another whole year. Then this Christmas came and I thought, "What the heck, if I gain, I'll just to the induction diet and lose again". Well guess what? I'm 15 lbs heavier plus the 5 lbs from the previous year so that makes me 20 lbs heavier in two years and I can't seem to get that back off. I'm trying to stick with low carb and it's not coming off.

Must state that in the past two years, I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and take certain medications I didn't take before, but I maintained only that 5 lbs weight gain last year on that same medicine. It is Tramadol and Codone for breakthrough pain. Can that be part of the problem. Anyone else experience not losing the third go around on Atkins and does anyone know what I need to do to kick my weightloss back in gear?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Atkins 3rd time, not losing anymore...advice?

Hi there! I can't say I've tried Atkins 3 times or anything, but I can offer what I can. I am thinking that maybe your body got used to eating that way, so it doesn't work as well as it did in the past. Most people who try Atkins and it's a huge difference, so it may work better.

I don't do the Atkins diet (tried it once though!), but I do limit my carbs when I want to lose weight. I skip all fatty meats that Atkins allows you to eat and only eat the lower calorie, lean meats. Then I eat lots of salads, veggies, and I also let myself eat fruit (which Atkins doesn't let you eat!). I try to not eat too many carbs b/c they make me feel bloated and upset my stomach. I also don't eat a lot of dairy products because I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I have very little cheese and yogurt and I have lactose-free skim milk. So, I do a mix of lower carb, lower fat (other than healthy fats like those found in avocado), lower calorie, and low glycemic carbs only. I also cut out a lot of processed foods. All of that has worked best for me! However, it's difficult going out to eat or somebody else's home because most people don't eat that way. I also like to eat more often and have smaller meals or snacks. That helped me too!

You might have already tried that, but just an idea in case you haven't. What kind of exercise do you get? And when you DO eat Atkins-style, what does a typical day of food look like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User

On a typical day I eat only meat and cheese and salad. But lately I've incorporated All Bran snack crackers which are 14 carbs per 18 crackers and sugar free pudding with whipped cream which is 5 carbs and 2 carbs per serving of whipped cream. My downfall may be coffee also. I drink it all day and use a teaspoon of powdered creamer which is 1 carb and splenda as well. I'm going to try writing everything down that I take in and see if I'm still eating too many carbs. I'm probably going to have to be pretty strict and do some walking. I haven't done much excersize in the past two years due to fibromyalgia and CFS. It just seemed a lot easier even when I wasn't doing everything the way I was suppose to on the Atkins, for the weight to come off before, and now it seems I'm going to have to actually excersize and do the induction diet strictly until the ketosis kicks in. I just hope this medicine doesn't prevent my body to go into ketosis.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I hope everything works out okay for you too! Do you eat full fat cheeses? Try a lower fat version of Atkins and see if that helps too. You'll still keep it low carb, but low calorie as well. That might make a difference! Reduced fat dairy products and lean meats will be good.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

magickalme2 HB User

I understand your frustration. I actually have the same problem, less the meds. I did Atkins very sucessfully and lost about 75 lbs, then while in the process of moving, didn't stick to the plan very well and gained back about 15 lbs. No problem I figured I lose it quick, then got pregnant and since then I just haven't been able to start it again. I have tried everything and can't seem to stick to it. I think that part of the problem is that its harder to find low carb products than it used to be, and probably more than anything, its the fact that we know how it works and how well it works but instead of going through the steps, we try to go straight to the Ongoing Weightloss phase instead of sticking to the processess and doing induction. You should give it another go and stick to the program, it does work, we both know it does. Try sticking to the leaner meats like chicken, fish, extra lean beef and see if that helps. Also with summer, its a great time to bust out the grill, which will make cooking much easier.

Closed Thread