It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
what I am trying

I am a veteran dieter, so of course, I have now ballooned up to 199 lbs. This IS the heaviest I have ever been. I really don't like myself right now and all my clothes look just awful.

Seriously, I think I've been dieting on and off since I was a teenager. I've done Atkins very successfully -- THREE times, losing 25-40 lbs each time... and eventually gaining it back. That was the most successful plan I'd tried. But I've done Jenny Craig, Dr. Abravanel's Body Type diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, loads of other fad diets, etc. It always comes back.

I was about to start eDiets online, I had just signed up and paid my first installment, I was committed to at least 6 months at about $20 a month; But it looked very complicated and the recipes were ridiculously posh! Then I saw this infomercial for the Food Lovers. It's sort of like the GI diet, but... not. Anyway, it, too was about $20 a month for six months. So. I cancelled the eDiets and ordered this.

So, LAST HURRAH, I got the materials yesterday and started this morning. Reading through the boxload of materials and listening to the daily CD pep/informative talk, I think I'm learning more about metabolism and stuff. My "BEFORE" pictures and measurements are scary-- my waist is as big as my hips used to be! I see I can eat anything I want, just learn to eat it in the right proportion and combination... and on a schedule. I have to eat every 2-3 hours!@! That's going to be different. We'll see how it goes. It's a 21-day program with a 6 week unconditional guaruntee.

I'll keep you posted if this goes well.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Lisa_P
curious1chris (08-01-2011), LucyII (02-05-2011), MEBino (10-29-2011)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lisa_P For This Useful Post:
lisa7lee (02-16-2012), SealyTexas (12-28-2011), WannaBeBeachy (04-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: "Food Lovers Fat Loss System"

You've tried many diets. What you said reminded me of something I heard at a lecture. This doctor had a theory that all diets work for a time because they act like placebos.

I would say: The new diet is exciting because...well....it's new. At first you believe in it and you follow it because your desire and expectations have been built up. But after a period of time, it becomes routine and boring. After losing a lot of weight, your thoughts turn to rewarding yourself with occasional treats. Then it's not long before the treats become bigger and more frequent. There goes the diet.

Is that what it's like? Perhaps you might describe it differently.

Fad diets are attractive for some reason. It's like dieters think that a fad diet might have some special magic for them. My mother tried the grapfruit diet and the egg diet. But she stopped after she blacked-out while gardening. She said, "when I went to stand up, everything went black". So that was it for the fad diets.

I suspect there might be something wrong with the idea of a diet in the first place. A diet, by it's very nature, is something that people start and then stop at some later time. Instead, it should be something that one does because it's the right thing to do all the time.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think that's what makes this system so interesting. Robert Fergusson doesn't like the word "diet" either. For three weeks you do the snacks and "Fat Loss Plate" portioning and then it should be habit. You've learned the basics of HOW to eat and life goes on...

One of the premises is that your body is genetically conditioned to store fat for future use because ancient man never knew when his next meal would be. According to this system, if you eat every 2-3 hours your brain finally gets the message that there is no shortage of future meals... And the portions/combinations is explained by the GI Load thing.... If you eat "slow carbs" and "fast carbs" with your protein, everything takes longer to digest so there is a very small chance for insulin spikes and fat storage. He gets very detailed about this and I'm not explaining it well...

I'm crossing my fingers. Today (Day 2) has gone well.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

beyondclueless HB User

Lisa,
I am interested in ordering this system as well. Can you give me an idea of what a suggested sample menu ?
Best of luck and thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's the best part! You can eat everything you're already eating -- the things you're "not supposed" to eat. Except you make sure you're on a schedule and that you're getting all the food groups. Oh, and it's best to have breakfast within 30 minutes of rising. But a sample menu... He wants you to start using fat and cheese and stuff more as a condiment and less as a smothering thing, but there are no hard and fast rules... For example, you would have a hamburger and a side salad. Then two hours later it's a piece of fruit or some cheese and crackers -- basically anything that is in the right proportion. Like I said before, the kit is kind of expensive, but it is very thorough and "takes you by the hand" through the whole process.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
(female)

beyondclueless HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_P View Post
That's the best part! You can eat everything you're already eating -- the things you're "not supposed" to eat. Except you make sure you're on a schedule and that you're getting all the food groups. Oh, and it's best to have breakfast within 30 minutes of rising. But a sample menu... He wants you to start using fat and cheese and stuff more as a condiment and less as a smothering thing, but there are no hard and fast rules... For example, you would have a hamburger and a side salad. Then two hours later it's a piece of fruit or some cheese and crackers -- basically anything that is in the right proportion. Like I said before, the kit is kind of expensive, but it is very thorough and "takes you by the hand" through the whole process.

Thanks for the response.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's a diet-free lifestyle. How liberating!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

"One of the premises is that your body is genetically conditioned to store fat for future use because ancient man never knew when his next meal would be."

That reminds me of the book I'm reading now: "The Paleolithic Prescription". I can't say much more than that because I'm only up to chapter 2. This book came out in 1988. Talk about ancient.

Anyway, almost everything you said reminds me of the Zone diet. Dr. Sears put a lot of emphasis on controling insulin. "The Zone" is ancient too.

Here's something newer: "Dr Gundry's Diet Evolution". It's also based on ancient man. I found it to be entertaining and infromative. He had amusing sayings like "bitter is better" and "vegetables are good for you because they're bad for you". It might be interesting for you to compare Grundry's diet plan with the one you've started because they both claim to be based on ancient man.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date on how you're doing.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am now finishing Day 9 of this 21 day induction. It's getting a little restrictive, but I'm assured that this won't last after the 3 weeks. We're resetting our metabolism in this first 21 days. I dunno.

Had a hard time yesterday when I made a quick Hamburger Helper for hubby and me. Made me sick. Was that because I'm getting used to less processed foods? Again, I don't know. BUT I'm sticking it out, darn it!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
(female)

LadyBug8164 HB User

I would love to hear how this "diet" is going. I saw only a few minutes of the ad on TV a few days ago and it got me interested, though I can't find much about it on line other than the basics about how it works. Have you lost any weight since starting it? Whatever you want to spill about it I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today I'm on Day 15. OMG. I have never eaten so much food in my life! The restrictions are just common sense -- eat whole grain when possible. Avoid highly refined and sugar loaded foods, a little moderate exercise, drink lots of water.

And I can't weigh for another week. This 21 day "induction period" is about resetting the metabolism and re-learning.

All my clothes are looser. I sleep better (except for a few days of up all night using the bathroom-- all that water!). I am just SO happy with this. I'm eating everything I was eating before, just "tweaked" to avoid the bad stuff like bleached white flour and sugar/corn syrup... Eating more veggies... And all this while eating something every 2-3 hours! I had ice cream yesterday! And it wasn't "cheating!!"

Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
(female)

zacaboo HB User

I am soooooooooo excited for you Lisa, I saw the infomercial this week and have been searching for a "real" person who can give me a honest opinion of this plan! PLEASE keep us updated on everything, and I am so impressed that you have stayed away from the scale!!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
(female)

bogie12 HB User

I, too, am thinking of trying the Food Lovers Fat Loss System. It sounds very interesting and it's nice to know someone else is trying it who I can ask questions about it. Anyways, good luck Lisa! Keep us informed, anyone else going to try it? If I do, I'll let you know how I'm doing on it, also.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm on Day 20 tomorrow!!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-16-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: do not discuss what is not allowed - everyone is responsible to know the rules

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
(female)

zacaboo HB User

I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for you Lisa! Aside from the scale, how do you feel?

Closed Thread