HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Weight Loss (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/)
-   -   YUMMY low calorie snacks...not just carrot sticks (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/697788-yummy-low-calorie-snacks-not-just-carrot-sticks.html)

MrsBlack 06-11-2009 04:33 AM

YUMMY low calorie snacks...not just carrot sticks

I want some snacks that TASTE GOOD that are low calorie.

I don't just want to mindlessly gnaw on a carrot stick all day.

Here is a favorite:

Canned chicken, real mayo (just a little) olive oil, some onion, red bell pepper, lots of mushroom bits all rolled up into some spinach leaves instead of bread.

It's a good little snack.

I also like the above on Melba toast. Yum!!

Post your favorite low calorie snacks!! (Hope this thread hasn't already been done in recent times....if so.....sorry!)

rheanna 06-11-2009 10:35 PM

Re: YUMMY low calorie snacks...not just carrot sticks

MrsBlack,

I love your idea of including veggies in the snack. I try to eat a lot of filling low-calorie veggies as part of my lunch and dinner, but I forget about them when I am looking for something in the afternoon to stabilize my blood sugar so I don't go crazy before dinner.

I often cut up some fruit, and eat it with a bit of ground almonds and maybe some plain low-fat yoghurt or quark. A thin coating of nut-butter on a couple of whole-grain rice crackers is nice too.

--Rheanna

DaisieFit 06-14-2009 11:21 AM

For a quick snack, I have an apple and almonds

AThena53 06-15-2009 06:43 AM

I get canned chicken noodle soup (about 120 calories for the whole can) and chop up a lot of whatever veggies I have (spinach, onions, green pepper) and prepare. I also add a little hot sauce. Very filling. Use the low-sodium version if you're trying to watch salt intake, though.

And even though I usually avoid 100-calorie packs (overpriced for what you get, frequently the less-tasty version of the real thing), I like 100-calorie packs of microwave popcorn. When the version without all the trans-fats and additives is on sale, I get that type.

tUrRrRa 06-17-2009 02:44 PM

I really enjoy hummus for a snack! It's good to dip veggies in it or use a whole wheat pita. I also love grape tomatoes and can seriously eat the whole pack of them. Other snacks I enjoy include: apple with cashew butter, light string cheese, beef jerky, greek yogurt, walnuts (nuts can be high in calories if you eat too many though), a small turkey wrap with veggies, a whole wheat tortilla cut up and baked into "chips" with salsa, small protein shake, berries topped with fat free whipped cream, sugar free jello or pudding, and a small scoop of fat free frozen yogurt or low carb ice cream with diet orange soda to make an orange float (or with diet root beer).

I also enjoy making fun low-cal beverages. I recently tried a low-cal margarita recipe that is delicious even without the tequila! Great for summer!

x3lewisgina 08-07-2009 10:31 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful ideas. I've been eating low fat yogurt with fresh fruit cut up. Grilled chicken breast (lean mean grilling machine cooks it in 3 mins.) with fresh salsa is a great healthy snack and I love fresh fruit throughout the day as a filler.

Misty800 08-09-2009 03:22 PM

All of these suggestions sound delicious, however, I am not sure they would work for me. The total calories in each of these snacks plus regular meals would cause weight gain for me.

tUrRrRa 08-11-2009 02:34 PM

Misty800, I used to be the same way and had a difficult time losing weight (especially since I have never been overweight- just more trying to get into shape and in the past wanted to lose about 10 pounds). Now, I have to eat smaller meals and add in some snacks. If I just eat regular sized meals and no snacks, I seem to not do as well. My metabolism seems to get a boost if I eat smaller things throughout the day. I've also noticed that ever since I cut out a lot of processed foods (like 100 calorie packs, for example), I have gotten into my best shape. I eat a lot of natural foods such as fruits and veggies for snacks. If I limit my processed foods, I can actually get away with eating a little bit more calories. Our bodies all handle things differently, so it's all about finding what snacks work best for YOU and what eating plans work best for YOU :)