It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

ejonesy HB User
Unhappy It won't budge!!!

I have been doing this pretty intense exorcise program with a coworker for a little over a month (it's called P90x). I try to watch my calories and intake no more than 1500. I eat pretty well balanced meals, watch my carbs and sugars, drink lots of water and don't eat out more than once a month with my husband. Anyway, my coworker (who just had a baby) has already lost 5+ pounds and it is so visible on her, but on me I see no change and I've only lost about 2 pounds. I exorcise 4-5 times a week for an hour+ each time. I sweat and I'm sore the next day, so I know it's doing something...but what!?!

I'm so frustrated I have never been able to loose more than a couple of pounds no matter what I do! I've tried every thing from yoga to this P90x thing and I really try to watch what I eat. I'm ready to give up and say bring on that tub of cookie dough ice cream because losing 2-3 pounds is not worth all this work.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: It won't budge!!!

Exorcise? Are spirits making you feel fat?

Oh, you probably mean exercise. It is possible that you gained muscle due to exercise. Muscle is healthy, although it is heavy. It is quite possible for a beginner to gain muscle due to exercise while losing fat (this becomes more difficult as one gets more physically fit). But that can make progress seem miniscule if you look only at the weight scale. That may be a source of beginner frustration and giving up early.

Remember, athletes can be "overweight" but healthy because their excess weight is muscle, rather than fat. On the other hand, some people are "normal weight" but have little muscle, so they actually have too much fat, and have higher health risks due to having too much fat.

You may want to use body fat percentage, or a proxy like waist size, as a means of goal setting and measuring progress. If you use waist size for goal setting, a common criterion for good health is waist / height < 0.5 and waist / hip < 0.8 (for women; 0.95 for men).

Last edited by tjlhb; 06-30-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

ejonesy HB User

Ya I meant exercise haha!

Thanks for your response.
I'm fairly athletic so you might be right about muscle, but I just feel so big. I'm not all dainty and slim looking like most women I know that are my age. I weight 185 and wear a size 14 jeans; yet I have a fairly flat stomach (no 6 pack or anything, just flat). I see other women who wear a size 14 and they have quite a belly on them. And although I am glad I do not have that same belly, I do feel like I must look like them because they are a size 14 and I am a size 14. So, we must look similar...right?

I guess my biggest problem is that I don't know how I should look <- Maybe this is the root of my obsession.

According to this:
waist / height < 0.5 and waist / hip < 0.8

My waist/height is .51 and My wist/hip is .81

What does that mean? According to the BMI calculator by the CDC I'm almost obese....am I?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonesy View Post
According to this:
waist / height < 0.5 and waist / hip < 0.8

My waist/height is .51 and My wist/hip is .81

What does that mean? According to the BMI calculator by the CDC I'm almost obese....am I?
By waist/height and waist/hip, you are slightly above what are typically considered "healthy" ranges, so it may help to lose a little body fat. Although if you are very muscular in the abdomen area, it is possible that there is not much fat to lose.

However, someone who is truly obese will likely have far higher waist/height and waist/hip ratios; it is likely that you have much more muscle than most women, so even if you lose a little body fat, you may still be heavy. But having more muscle is a good thing in general for health; besides making your stronger, it increases resting metabolism so that you won't pack on the fat as easily.

Note that most height and weight or BMI based criteria for determining "overweight" or "obesity" do not account for muscle versus fat weight, because most people's extra weight is fat. But if you are a muscular athlete, body fat percentage measurements may be a better way of finding out if you are carrying too much body fat (it is high body fat, as opposed to high body weight, that is really the health risk).

Don't worry so much about the jeans size (and remember that clothing sizes are often inconsistent), since if you and someone else wear the same size, but the other person has a fat belly hanging out and you do not, you are less fat and more healthy. And remember that everyone is different; try to make the best use of the advantages of your body type (more muscle => stronger, better sports performance) rather than try to become someone you are not (and some of those dainty and slim looking women have so little muscle that their body fat percentage is unhealthily high -- sometimes called sarcopenia or "skinny fat").

Last edited by tjlhb; 07-02-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
(female)

ejonesy HB User

Thank you so much for all this great information. This explains a lot and makes me feel a little better about myself. I'll just keep working to loose those few pounds that I would like (probably 10-15) and I'll try to stop worrying and obsessing so much over my weight. You really have helped explain somethings to me that no one ever has before. Thanks again, Have a great Fourth of July

Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
(female)

Cobear HB User

Just a thought that MIGHT work. What kind of meat/ dairy are you consuming? Unless your food directly states that it is organic, you have to assume that it is chuck full of growth hormones. While I don't know of the scientific data directly linking them to obesity, it seems that a Bovine Growth Hormone meant to bulk up cows would do something similar to women. I'm a poor student, but I make sure to buy meat and dairy that is not full of antibiotics/ hormones/ preservatives/poison (last night I learned it is common practice to feed arsenic to chickens....)
I just started a new program of working out 1.5 - 2 hours a day. That's what it takes for me to lose, otherwise I just maintain. I can totally identify with your feelings that all the work isn't worth it. But if you are feeling healthier and stronger then that is a great start! I wish you the best of luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
exorcise, fat loss, frustration, weight loss