It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

bigchapchunks HB User
New Member...and quite a confused one!

Hello,

I am new here so hiya

This is my situation. I am a young lad, weigh 22 1/2 stones and 6ft tall. My diet is poor if I am honest, and this is something I want to change, not only for my personal benefit in terms of looks, but also my long term health. My job is quite active and I find myself snacking quite a bit, which is never a good thing.

There are so many different methods and ideas about how to lose alot of weight (like I need to lose) but I just don't know where to start!

I am totally lost in terms of where to start and I am confused over which methods would suit me best and how I go about getting started.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: New Member...and quite a confused one!

Hi there! I find what works best is making little changes at a time. If you snack often, a good start for you would be to start bringing some healthy snacks for you to munch on during the day. I like to take an apple or light string cheese to work. I also like beef jerky and mixed nuts. Try swapping out unhealthy snacks for good ones! That's a good place to start.

At home, try to keep lots of healthy options around too. I like to keep salad around and love to add it to my meals. Eating in fruits and veggies helps make a diet better. Swap out fried/fattening meats for grilled or baked, lean ones. Swap your white bread for wheat. Also aim to drink lots of water.

Then of course, exercise is great to go along with a healthy diet. I used to hate running, but now I really like it. I get stressed and running helps calm me down and gives me energy to get through busy days. I also like to lift light weights. Doing something you ENJOY and not hate really helps make it easier! I keep a planner where I write down everything I need to do. I write down when I need to work out too so it's a priority. I used to slack off if I was busy and do other things first. Now, I work out during my lunch breaks or in the evening, and save my errands and things to do for afterwards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

monkeymome3 HB User

I think if you snack on the right things, snacking can be a good thing. Try some nuts or trail mix, string cheese or fruit. I, myself, don't care much for fruit so I have to force myself to find something. Having 3 kids, I keep a lot of fruit. I am also going to try yogurt.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymome3 View Post
I think if you snack on the right things, snacking can be a good thing. Try some nuts or trail mix, string cheese or fruit. I, myself, don't care much for fruit so I have to force myself to find something. Having 3 kids, I keep a lot of fruit. I am also going to try yogurt.
Be careful. While nuts, dried fruit, and trail mix made of nuts and dried fruit are healthy, they are also calorie dense, so they may not be appropriate if you are trying to restrict calories to cut body fat. Watch out for trail mixes that include sugary candy or other things with added sugar.

Also, yogurt is best eaten plain (skim milk version if you are watching the calories); add your own fresh or frozen fruit if you prefer fruit flavored yogurt. Preflavored yogurts are typically high in added sugar.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
(female)

Chelsea bun HB User

There is this great plan on the NHS website it's called couch to 5k. If you want to get into exercise it breaks it down into a manageable plan. Worked for me, I love to run and now run between 10-12 km a week whereas 4 months ago I could hardly run to the end of the road!!

Closed Thread