It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

yesitsme HB User
Really want to lose weight but food it always wins

Hi i have been over weight for years and i am forever thinking that tomorrow will be the start of my diet but all i can think about is chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc. No matter how much i think about having a gorgeous body and being able to wear whatever i want, i always put those thoughts aside and eat a bar of chocolate, thinking tomorrow i will be good. I think i have a serious problem with food which could stem from my mum NEVER allowing me to eat anything remotely unhealty when i was young, i wasn't even allowed diet pop only on sundays, but i am no psychologist. I am going on holiday in a few weeks to tenerife which i am dreading because i know i will be in a swimming costume but yet i still can't stop eating rubbish. Is anyone the same? Help.

Last edited by yesitsme; 07-09-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Really want to loose weight but food it always wins

Put an invisible mental zipper in closed position over mouth when in presence of food other than at meal time.

You can do it, this will help prevent temptation to eat things you should not.

Remove no-no foods from your house, keep only low calorie foods and lots of salads. However, do not use a serving size bowl for your salad, use a regular ceral bowl size. Do not add loads of extras and dressing, it will make your diet salad into a weight gaining salad.

I lost 65 lbs. by doing this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

XOX HB User

You can eat whatever you want but not in small portions. Take it slowly. I use to eat the whole bag of chocolate if I bought the whole bag or if there are more than I will just eat all of it until there's no more in the house. So what I do is just buy a small chocolate bar and that's all I can eat. And if I eat heavy one day, then the next day I eat a lot of veggies or just eat less the next day. The more you stop yourself from eating all the junk the more you crave for it.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

XOX HB User

When I tell myself its okay to eat all I want today because I am going to be on a diet the next day. Well that day is never going to come because I will start thinking the same thing and it repeats itself. So thinking or telling yourself that your going to be on a diet the next day its not going to work.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

zulton HB User
Unhappy Re: Really want to lose weight but food it always wins

hi all
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to willpower im last in the line and i need to lose weight for my kids sake and mine. my husband is so supportive, he even tells me he will join me on the diet though he's in perfect shape. when i do decide it, its still hard to get started. i keep questioning if i'll ever fit into my jeans i used to wear before pregnancy with my now 2year old son. im now 4 sizes too far . wish i can just take that first few steps towards losing just a kilo (to start with)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Really want to lose weight but food it always wins

It can be SO hard to not think about food, so honestly, you DO need to just remove these foods from your home. They are going to be TOO tempting! It's difficult to only eat a small portion of it when you have a bunch of it around the house. Keep around only healthy items and if you ever buy a treat, buy a small sized amount. For example, if you are going to have some chocolate, get only enough for ONE serving. Don't buy a whole box of chocolates and think to yourself that you will only eat one serving size, because that often won't happen. Try to find helathy foods that you really enjoy a lot and then you won't feel deprived. I really like protein bars and they are kind of like candy bars to me. I also will treat myself to a small (single serving) bag of baked chips to go with my lunch a couple days a week. Just not buying them in large portions helps a LOT.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

I used to think I'd give up food after a certain time of night, and that didn't work, because, man I'm hungry! Instead, I have a mental list of healthy snacks and stick to them as much as possible: any kind of fresh fruit, plain yogurt with frozen cherries, baked chips with salsa and shredded lettuce if craving salt... having a variety of only healthy snacks in the house works wonders!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
(female)

Mildred1260 HB User

I agree with the poster concerning buying only a serving of chocalate instead off a whole box of chocalates. I crave donuts and use to buy them by the dozens. There is no way I'm going to buy the whole dozen of donuts because I will eat all 12. In fact I won't buy none to stay on the safe side!

Last edited by Mildred1260; 07-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
(female)

brensea47 HB User

it seems that way for me to everytime i say thats it with over eatinging, food ,it always win. how do u make it work?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

Cobear HB User

This is a difficult question that everyone struggles with, but I have found some strategies which work for me. A few years ago I lost about 12 lbs, which doesn't sound like much but I went from a 14/16 to an 8. If you are totally out of shape and currently eat whatever you want then you can loose weight doing a few things. The diet I used was to eat a huge amount of veggies at the beginning of a meal, then eat a little of the high fat or sugar food I actually wanted. More specifically I eat green or waterlogged foods ie. cucumbers, kale, spinach, cabbage ect. I ate them sturfried raw, whatever worked. But, without much added topping, maybe a few squirts of olive oil or some vinegar (balsamic is sweet without the guilt). Then when I start to feel full I eat a small amount of the food I would want to eat for dinner. This strategy is great for people who love to eat because they feel super full and get to eat what they want. Trying to just eat a small amount of a high sugar/fat/taste food always left me feeling tortured. (I personally stay away from the high sugar veggies like corn or carrots, most of the warm colored ones have more calories)
If you have to eat in a public situation where starting with a huge bowl of steamed kale would look nuts, you can use another strategy. I generally try to eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or a small handful of peanuts (any nut should work) about 1/2 an hour before the meal. Then while eating out I eat slowly and take a sip of water between each bite. That way I feel full half way through the meal. As soon as I feel full I stop.
Its really important that you get the cookies and other high sugar foods out of your house. They will NEVER satisfy you. You could eat 5 and still want more. Eating waterlogged veggies and fruits will fill you up and leave you feeling healthy. If you try any of these methods let me know how it goes!

Closed Thread