It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
(male)

dalektoast HB User
Medication

Hi,
I have recently been prescribed on predisnone and have to take 30 mg per day for four weeks as I have a months supply of them. However, I have been reading that it can lead to damage to the adrenal glands and also cause weight gain. I am particularly worried about the weight gain as apparently it makes you put on loads of weight and I wanted to remain consistent as what I am at now. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to keep my weight down and so it does not alter? I don't eat a great deal and do walk my dog every evening, twice a night and three times at weekends. Any advice would be appreciated. I am very worried about the side effects. I have a months supply to take and have been on them since Saturday.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Medication

I've been on prednisone before, and while it is true that weight gain is a side effect...it's mostly due to the bloating that occurs with taking prednisone. I would just make sure to keep drinking lots of water.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree that lots of water is a good idea to keep away bloating. My brother used to take quite a high dose of predisone for his asthma and had a lot of bloating. I'd avoid too many salty foods and try to not eat too many frozen or canned dishes, as those also may contain more salt than fresh foods.

I notice that some people will eat more when taking prednisone, so just keep an eye out on your eating habits. It's common for some medications to cause hunger and increased appetite. My dog actually is on prednisone for skin allergies (small dosage for a pet of course), and we notice him having a higher appetite. We just keep his portions the same and give him plenty of water (he drinks more water too) and he is doing fine. Our vet said to make sure to give plenty of water and watch the food portions or he will gain weight, so it's pretty similar to what happens with humans.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

One of the side effects of prednisone is it can raise your blood sugar and that may lead to weight gain. I agree to drink plenty of water stay away from salty foods and try to cut carbs a little.

As for adrenal gland damage- as long as you taper or wean the dose towards the end (which your doctor should prescribe) it should not be a problem. The problem occurs when you abruptly stop the medication because it hasn't had time for the gland to start working again.

Closed Thread