It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

dayandage HB User
Anyone else seem that they can't lose weight no matter what they do?

Hi my name is Brittany!! Okay, I am getting extremely frustrated (I'm sure thats a frequent feeling amongst a lot of dieter hehe)

No one in my family has issues with weight, but I was a very heavy toddler. When I went through pueberty my body changed drastically and I dropped A LOT of the weight. Since then I have been in the normal range. I was very athletic in high school; I ran on varsity track, played varsity soccer, and was an equestrian. Nethertheless my weight has fluctuated (not good.) My junior year I severely restricted calories and became very thin. Yes, I did have an ED. Not eating anything seemed to be the only thing that worked to get rid of the pounds. My senior year I vowed to try to be healthy. I cut out all fast food, barely eat sweets, and continued with my exercise regime.

For the past year I've stayed at a weight in normal range. Around three months ago I became sick and was bed ridden. I gained weight due to the inactivity. Two months ago I was at 162. I have been feeling a lot better so I've started running again and really watching my diet. I have been running 3 miles everyday day at pretty decent pace. I haven't made an effort to count calories but I have stopped any snacking/binging and eat small meals mostly composed of veggies and carbs (I've cut out dairy and red meat.) Today I had a doctors appointment and alas, my weight has stayed THE SAME.

Both my doctor and the P.A. commented that I looked no where near 160. I have a larger frame. It is just so darn frustrating. I want to do this a healthy way and not fall back into bad habits. I've have had a whole list of blood work run (from when I was sick.) Nothing showed an electrolyte imbalance or any thyroid issues. What makes matters worse is about two weeks before my period I really balloon up. I can gain up to 15 pounds of water weight!

Idk If I am looking for advice, or if I am just venting. I just really want to be healthy! I don't know what im doing wrong. I have no desire to become a stick, I just hate being so flabby. COuld it be possible that I am predisposition to be this way forever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

milliamp HB User
Re: Anyone else seem that they can't loose weight no matter what they do?

Do you have your own scale? Sometimes your weight depends on the time of day.

I don't think weight is as important as body fat, but sometimes when you are working out your muscles tend to retain water/blood becasue they are inflated and building which can offset the fat lost when you get on the scale.

As for getting over your plateau, I think a 3 mile run every day is great cardio, but have you tried adding some resistance training to build a little more muscle?

If you want to improve your cardio, try sprinting for a short while in the middle of your jog, then slowing back down to a jog to recover your breath, then sprint again. This should kick your butt.

The body is designed to become efficient at things, it is possible that your body is just efficient at jogging so you have to throw it a curve ball to get over the plateau.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Anyone else seem that they can't loose weight no matter what they do?

If you do a lot of exercise or sports, you could have a lot of muscle, which is dense, heavy, and healthy.

Since it is excess body fat (as opposed to weight) that is associated with added health risks, you may want to use body fat percentage or some proxy like waist size to track your progress, rather than just using weight, which is confounded by healthy muscle.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

milliamp HB User
Re: Anyone else seem that they can't lose weight no matter what they do?

Because I put on muscle weight when I work out, it is difficult for me to track my progress with a scale too so I measure my body fat:

The ARMY measures body fat with measurements around the waist and neck etc. * link to commercial website and related info removed by hb-mod, moderator *

I also have a digital reader, there are several on the market, but the one I use is Omron HBF-306C Fat Loss Monitor. It provides decent results for a chap price ($27).

* link to commercial website, and website information, removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-29-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or information regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

gottaluvpink18 HB User

I feel like I have the same problem! Im the same height and oddly enough, the same weight. I'd like to get down to 145 but I dont know what else to do! Im getting discouraged because I eat healthy, exercise regularly and the scale wont budge!! Here's an idea of my work out routine:

3 miles (at least) every other day
Aerobic exercise with resistance for at least 30-60 minutes on the opposite day

Any further sugguestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

I had the exact same problem. i gained a whole bunch of weight from meds....and tried losing weight the conventional way. i started starving or eating less than 800 cals a day. worked for a bit. but when i went to join the military, i found that doing four days of 1200-1500 cals, then 2 days of 800-1200 (make sure with a vitamin) helped me lose weight more. i also varied what i did. one day i'd do my stationary bike for two hours, the next day i'd dance for two hours. i think it was the calorie cycling that helped the most. if you have any more questions, feel free to post. (you learn alot about weight in the military lol)
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Last edited by moderator2; 08-27-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: please do not solicit pm's, as per the posting policy

Closed Thread