It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

betttyblack HB User
Exclamation underactive thyroid (hypo) weight loss

i have an underactive thyroid and even though it's regulated now, i know i still have problems with losing weight. just wondering if anyone else out there has a hypothyroid problem and maybe found a solution to rapid weight loss? any suggestions, tips and links would be appreciated. i know i have to watch my weight very closely and it's difficult because it just means i cant enjoy much of anything in life thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: underactive thyroid (hypo) weight loss

betttyblack,

Why does weight loss have to be rapid? Those who loose weight fast seem to gain it back fast too.

Here's a tip: Believe it or not, you can eat healthy whole foods and still enjoy life! Yes, I have been doing it every day for years and I'm enjoying life just as much now as I did when I ate junk. If you exclude high calorie processed foods for a period of time (perhaps weeks or months) those foods will become less and less important to you. You will not crave them after a period of time if you stay away from them. And the foods you thought you wouldn't like begin to taste better. On the other hand, every time you eat the wrong foods (fast food) the good healthy foods will suffer by comparison.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-31-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: delete quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree that rapid is not the way to go! My fiance has an underactive thyroid and takes medication for it. The best thing is to make sure your medication has it under control, then a healthy eating and exercise plan. Aim for up to 2 pounds of weight loss per week. Losing any faster can lead to gaining it back easier and also stretch marks from losing weight too quickly.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

If your levels are controlled with medication and are within the normal ranges for you, you shouldn't have any more trouble losing weight than anyone else. I understand that you're feeling down right now, but there's plenty to enjoy in life besides food. You're getting healthy! I have been dealing with Hashimotos and hypothyroidism for about 3 or 4 years now. I feel amazing and my weight has gotten back under control. I do go through sluggish spells, but that just comes with the territory.

I also agree that once you eat healthy for awhile, the other types of foods will not taste as good. When I reached my weight loss goals I rewarded myself with my favorite all-u-can-eat buffet. I was sick for 2 days. My body couldn't handle it and I don't crave it anymore.

Closed Thread