It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
(female)

Panndy1 HB User
Obesity & Unwanted Hair

I am a 61 year old woman who is obese. I also have problems with unwanted hair, in the chin and below chin area. My question is would losing weight help the unwanted hair problem? Has anyone had this problem, lost weight and found out that some or alot of the hairs disappeared. I am thinning on top of my head. I jokingly have said that my head hair has moved to my chin. Not funny. I know losing weight is in my best interest and would help other problems. I just want to know about this particular one.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: Obesity & Unwanted Hair

I used to be overweight. Not terribly so, but I was pretty pudgy. When I was still pudgy I started growing hairs on my chin and underneath it (mostly underneath my chin). Well, I lost a lot of weight and am now slim, but I still have the same hair problem. It's like it's there for good for me. It's not soooo bad though. I just have to check it a couple times a week.
Arg...I hate hair in unwanted places!
Do you have a LOT of hair on your chin? Do you use tweezers for it? I have some good tweezers I keep on hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

At 61, your hair can be caused by your weight, but just as likely age related. If you have insulin resistance, diabetes, metabolic syndrome X, or PCOS, losing weight could prevent currently inactive hair follicles from being stimulated into growing new hairs. BUT, if your hair is age related, you will probably grow new hair off and on, like many other post menopausal women.

Have you had spoken to your physician regarding this? You should have at the very least a C-peptide test to test for insulin resistance.

Thinning scalp hair is also a symptom of insulin resistance, diabetes, metabolic syndrome X, and PCOS.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
(female)

Panndy1 HB User

Thanks to both of you for your nice responses. I will answer both of you at once. Kind of discouraging to think that even if I lost alot of weight, that I would still have all the hair. Yes I do have tweezers. Recently have been shaving the mustache area that I did not mention. It is not bad but I do get 2 or 3 long hairs there. I get some dark course ones right near the chin and under that the tweezers works good for. Then I get alot of lighter softer ones farther below that are hard to get with the tweezers. Lately my hubby has been lightly running the razor over that area and that seems to help alot. Not like regular harsh shaving though.

I don't have Diabetes or PCOS. Probably not insulin resistance either since no Diabetes or pre Diabetes. I don't know what Metabolic Syndrome X is. Guess I should look that up. Guess it is just an age related thing. As for menopausal. I had a complete hytsterectomy when I was 23 and took hormones for 35 years. Prior to stopping the hormones I had the hair problem. Not sure if it has gotten worse since I stopped the hormones a few years ago or not.

Thanks again for both of your help. Guess this is just something I have to put up with like some other older woman.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

You don't have to put up with it. Many women opt for electrolysis (permanent hair removal). My grandmother had some chin whiskers, and I remember her being in a nursing home and so self conscious about visitors seeing these hairs. I was only 10 years old, but she would ask me to bring my mother's tweezers with me and pluck her chin when I visited. My mother, not wanting to be in that situation, had her hairs removed by electrolysis. I'm now following in my mother's footsteps and have my chin, neck and lip treated with electrolysis. Had my brows done when I was 14 by my mother's electrologist. I wish my grandmother would have had electrolysis so she would not have been embarrassed by the hairs.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
(female)

Panndy1 HB User

Thanks for the helpful advice. I told my hubby if I ever ended up in the hospital or some place, he would have to make sure he had the tweezeers or razor handy. I have really sensitive skin so am leery of electolysis. Also isn't it quite expensive? We don't have insurance. Have you had the process done more than once? I know you said permanent. But new hairs could grow in. Did you have any bad reaction to it?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

It's fine to do electrolysis on sensitive skin. I have very sensitive skin and many allergies, one being nickel. My electrologist uses a 24k gold probe which helped to reduce the redness.

Electrolysis is a cosmetic procedure and not covered by insurance. Expensive is a relative term. Not having to worry about these hairs is priceless for me. My treatments are usually less than 15 minutes which in my area are around $25-30 dollars. I spend more a month on my internet connection. Hair removal is a priority for me. Something like having pedicures on a regular basis is not. Every woman is different.

In the beginning you go more often, and then the frequency tapers down as the hairs disappear. The electrologists have to treat the hairs in the right phase of the growth cycle in order to damage them.

I have not had an electrolysis treatment on my brows since I was a teen. Those hairs are not triggered by hormones. I do expect to develop some new facial hairs as I age. Most women do. They go in a few times a year for a clean up treatment.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

Hi Panndy,
I have had electrolysis for over 30 years and was still having to go...so to me...it does NOT work, but I used it as a quick fix on a reg basis most of my life. I am 56, overweight, with PCOS, diabetes, and thinning hair on top. My electrolysis is a retired nurse and finally one day she told me to take SPIRONOLACTONE....an innocent non risky drug that takes away a lot of hair on some people. My doctor told me to take it three times a day. I never take as much of a new drug as prescribed initially, so I took ONE pill a day and it did the trick. Not all, but about 75% of my hair is gone from my face and almost ALL of it is gone from my arms and legs. My thinning hair is no different and my underarm & pubic hair remained the same. Hope this helps and you can try it if you haven't already discussed it with your doctor. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

By the way, the drug SPIRONOLACTONE is only $10 a month AND since the doctor prescribed it 3X a day, but I only take it once a day, the script lasts me for 3 months! The doctor now knows this and still agreed to keep prescribing it this way for me to save $.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
(female)

Panndy1 HB User

Thanks for the good idea about the med. It looks interesting. But my luck, my hair on my head would disappear too. I will keep it in mind. I don't have any arm or leg hair. All my leg hair disappeared mysteriously years ago. That is fine with me, don't have to shave my legs. Never have had arm hair really.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
(female)

Panndy1 HB User

Me again. I looked up that med and the different versions of it and it said the med is for high blood pressure. Maybe a side effect is hair loss. I don't have high blood pressure so it would not be good for me to take it. Might lower my pressure too much.

Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Those 'special' few dark Chin hairs start happening at any age....and nothing to do with weight or age. One Daughter started getting them in her 30's and she is slim ..other daughter a little heavier doesn't have any and she is 40 I don't recall what age I got a few prob around 40. You might get a few more or not just depends on your genetic makeup. We just pluck them out. There are some women that do get a chin full of hair and have to actually shave every day so we just never know how we will end up. The thinning of the hair on your head suggests maybe a thyroid condition?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
(female)

Panndy1 HB User

Thanks Ann. I guess it doesn't matter if a woman is heavy or thin, they can get the hairs. I have had alot of blood work and the Dr. has not said anything about thyroid. One might just be age. I see some older women that have thinning hair. It also might be genetic. My mom has always had thin hair and worse as she has gotten older. She is now 85. I always had a good head of hair. Another possibility is my hair got damaged from having 13 years of tight perms. I know it was a dumb thing to do that for so long. I think that might have damaged the top hair some.

Closed Thread