It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
(male)

TheNewNumber2 HB User
Green Tea pills -- your thoughts

Got some random Wal-Mart stocked Green Tea Extract capsules (150 mg per) after hearing in the news a day ago that Rush Limbagh lost about 90 pounds in four months and one of the things he did to acheive this was take GReen Tea pills.

I Googled a little, and while there seems to be no firm answer of what it does, it's supposed to help increae the metabolism and burn fat (and prevent cholesterol absorption a bit).

Anyway, I do 15 minutes of weight lifting, then immediately to two straight hours on a stationary exercise bike. I take a multi vitamin when I wake up, an L-Carnitine a bit after the exercise, and now when I had a mid day snack, I take a Green Tea capsule with the snack.

So that's what I am doing.

Will the green tea make a difference in the weight loss? Anybody here tried it? I have a small snack during the day, then a meal of chicken nuggets at night wil some Tang. So, in other words -- I don't pig out and drink cola and have candy bars.

Anybody have any success/advice with Green Tea? Is 150mg per capsule good enough? Do I need a higher mg? Do I need to buy the tea and make it as opposed to taking a pill? Should I take two a day?

Basically, I am trying to lose ten pounds by early September. If I cut out the snack each day, I could achieve that, but I've been exercising HARD (I've actualyl cut back) and eating so little for about ten months now and I cant' stand to not have a snack each day, so I'm trying to find methods to help achieve that ten pound lose.

For those curious about why I am trying to lose the ten pounds ... I've lost a lot of weight, and these extra ten pounds are my "Reward" for almost a year's effort; it'll be 60 pounds later effort. I will pig out on Halloween candy, have bread rolls (from Golden Corral) for Thanksgiving, pig out on Christmas candy, then have something for New Years, so I'll gain about ten pounds from that (though I will still be exercising during this time, but the exercise will decrease by half an hour to an hour). I'll still be thin and good looking from re-gaining those ten pounds since I'm thin already. Basically, my "Reward" is to NOT feel guilty or get fat from eating my way to a sugar coma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Green Tea pills -- your thoughts

I tried these green tea capsules (at least I think they are the same brand) but the ones with hoodia in them. They helped me quickly lose 5-10 pounds of excess water weight and not be bloated. They also gave me energy and made me feel full faster. I took LESS than recommended. The instructions suggested 3 pills per meal, but I took 1 with breakfast and 1 with lunch. I took 2 at a time and felt very nauseous after my energy high started to wear off. The hoodia still bothered my sensitive stomach some, even with taking 1 at a time. Eventually I just stopped taking them and prefer to drink herbal green tea and not rely on the pills. I'll go for a cup of coffee or a diet energy drink if I need an energy boost from caffeine. I feel that caffeine helps me work out harder since I feel more energized and that revs up my metabolism.

Most of all, I really try to limit my sugar and processed foods. You mentioned the candy and rolls and things like that- those are what kill my diet. So, if I do eat them, I stick with very small portions and try to only eat them occasionally, like on the holidays as you mentioned. I don't keep those foods aren't the house so I'm not tempted. I also feel more energized if I don't eat those things.

Also, if you have been doing the same exercise routine for a long time, you might want to switch it up. I used to do cardio exercise for a longer period of time, but I've cut it down to 30-45 minutes and do very vigorous exercise instead. If I go running, I can get the same results in less time than if I used the bike or elliptical. It's just more challenging on my body for some reason. BUT, running isn't good if you have joint issues. Then I increased my strength training time. Adding more strength training helped me burn more fat and get into better shape too.

Good luck with everything! Hope you like your green tea pills!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You're not eating healthy if all you're eating is chicken nuggets and tang every night. You need to be eating plenty of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm sure if you lose that 10 lbs you'll gain it back plus more because you're going about it all wrong.

Those green tea pills are bad for you anyway. They could cause you to have heart problems. I would advise against it.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
You're not eating healthy if all you're eating is chicken nuggets and tang every night. You need to be eating plenty of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm sure if you lose that 10 lbs you'll gain it back plus more because you're going about it all wrong.

Those green tea pills are bad for you anyway. They could cause you to have heart problems. I would advise against it.
Gotta agree with you about the meal choice here. Nuggets and TANG? Yikes.
Not to gang up on you, but can you do some other type of SKINLESS, chicken without breading, maybe sliced deli chicken on a big old salad of fresh green lettuces/spinach, some carrots, tomatoes, a nice light dressing? And a big glass of clear, cool WATER?? Really. Tang ok around lunch but what is that stuff anyway? I almost hate to ask "what's your snack?"
Try to eat as nutritionally sound meals each time. Protein protein protein--ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE DOING WEIGHT LIFTING. Sooo important. And to watch your calories! Too little and your metabolism slows down to where you will not lose weight. Too many and boom, you gain. I hove around 1200 a day for me. I am short, older *cough *cough, and not too active. I have begun to get very active with bike riding/power walking and have found I needed to increase my cals 200-300 a day. Or I am tired and foggy!!

Choose Lean meats. If you need bread, make it as grainy and whole wheat as possible. Good that you are watching sugar and sodium--they are the worst.
Need a snack? Go after nuts, fruits, etc.

Green tea is fine, either as a hot or cold drink. Never heard of weight loss by anyone that takes this!!
Good luck with your weight loss, I hope you are successful.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

I have a friend who lost quite a bit by drinking 2 8-oz cups of green tea per day. At first she drank one cup for several weeks, and nothing happened. She increase to 2 cups and the weight began to come off. It was not over night, and she also watches her diet. Her only exercise is walking. She says her metabolism has changed and she has more energy.

I'm trying it, just can't always remember to drink it daily. I drink 2 cups at one time when I do remember. I'm a water gal, and I just automatically reach for the water when I'm getting a drink.

I haven't seen the pills, didn't know they existed. I will look for them, but if there is more to them than green tea, I won't take them.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
(male)

TheNewNumber2 HB User

Well, it's a few days short of one month since I made this post. Here are the results:

Green Tea pills are working. I have been indulging myself with ice cream (Orange Dream Bars), eating a box of 20 bars a day some days. Clearly not a healthy thing to do, but that's beside the point. Suffice to say, the weight gain from eating like that in one week would be two to three pounds. Yet, taking a GT pill before exercising, then another in the day, and one L-Carnitine ... I've only gained one pound the entire month from eating like that weekly, so I'd say it's safe to say taking those three pills a day, and exercising, the pills are helping keep the weight down most definitively. In fact I think some of this weight is water weight, and if I exercise running, I'll probably drop five pounds.

And I'll say what others have echoed: I do seem to feel better over all. Just general bodily feeling.

Last edited by TheNewNumber2; 09-02-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am glad you are having good results, but I'd definitely work on the eating habits too... if you really want LONG-TERM results. I notice that I can lose weight easily with good effort because I know what works for me, but if I really want to keep it off, I need to develop good habits to keep for life. No short-term diets are realistic for me, because once you go back to regular eating, you gain back the weight.

I also aim for lean protein (no nuggets for me either!), mostly from grilled or baked chicken. I also bought some tilapia, which I've never had, so it will be something new for me to try. A way to make some healthier nuggets/chicken strips would to take chicken breast, brush it with egg white, and cover it in crushed cereal (a non-sweet, healthy cereal- with fiber is good). Then you bake it! They taste great and are a good alternative to nuggets. I also don't drink sugary beverages, like tang. I really like to drink a lot of water, and I also like herbal green tea. Drinking the tea will give you the same benefits as the pills, without the extra ingredients or extra price (some pills are costly).

It's a choice to make, but you should definitely consider it. It's very rewarding to develop good, healthy eating habits that you will feel good about. My body has never been better and I feel great! I cut out a lot of processed foods and replaced many of them with fruits and vegetables. The foods I eat taste better too!

Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
(male)

TheNewNumber2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Drinking the tea will give you the same benefits as the pills, without the extra ingredients or extra price (some pills are costly).
I buy mine from Wal-Mart. Come 30 pills to a bottle; something like $13 with taxes. Chose the pills because the tea -- at least a container I have seen, has sugar in it.

Well, I "rewarded" myself a couple days ago with two things of Reese pumpkin eggs, mallowcream pumpkins, and an expired two liter of cola that was only going to be trashed. Maybe too much sugar i na short period of time, maybe my body and tastes have changed from a year of weight lose, but ... I just didn't enjoy it. Nothing tasted bad per se, but ... I'd rather stick to the ORange Dream Bars and maybe sphegetti.

Either way, I decided to lay off sugar for an entire month (except maybe Tang), and will also keep taking the pills. Will let everybody know the results in 30 days. I've not tried this in months, and certainly without the pills, so I don't know how helpful they'll be.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
(female)

Katundra HB User

I think it is waste of money and time.It 's better to buy organic green tea leafs. If you really looking for weight loss pills , try Lipro. I lost 8 kg.Highly recommended for everyone who wants to loose weight.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewNumber2 View Post
I buy mine from Wal-Mart. Come 30 pills to a bottle; something like $13 with taxes. Chose the pills because the tea -- at least a container I have seen, has sugar in it.
Dried tea leaves (either bagged or loose) do not have sugar in them. To make tea, just put the tea leaves or tea bag in a teapot or your cup with hot water.

You may find a greater selection of green tea in a grocery store where Chinese immigrants shop.

Green tea is not magic, but if you drink tea (without sugar) instead of some sugary drink, that can account for a fairly large calorie reduction in your diet.

Last edited by tjlhb; 09-17-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
(male)

jamesrwright3 HB User

I don't mean to sound mean but 20 ice cream bars a day? You may be losing weight, but I really can't say you are eating a healthy diet.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
(male)

sheedwalls HB User

Green tea is really good for cleansing the body of toxins, plus, it also boosts the metabolism. This is why it helps burn the fat. however, you do need to energize your body with the right kind of fuel. What you're taking in simply does not suffice. I would recommend exploring healthier food options such as fruits and vegetables, as long as you go natural.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewNumber2 View Post

Well, I "rewarded" myself a couple days ago with two things of Reese pumpkin eggs, mallowcream pumpkins, and an expired two liter of cola that was only going to be trashed. Maybe too much sugar i na short period of time, maybe my body and tastes have changed from a year of weight lose, but ... I just didn't enjoy it. Nothing tasted bad per se, but ... I'd rather stick to the ORange Dream Bars and maybe sphegetti.

Either way, I decided to lay off sugar for an entire month (except maybe Tang), and will also keep taking the pills. Will let everybody know the results in 30 days. I've not tried this in months, and certainly without the pills, so I don't know how helpful they'll be.

Hi there,

I do not mean the green tea beverages with sugar in them. I mean a natural kind of green tea, or at least the "diet" green teas that are calorie free and sugar free. I definitely don't suggest the sugary ones since they have a lot of extras added to them! Not as good!

It sounds like you have a tough time with sugar. Try slowly cutting back rather than doing something extreme, like no sugar for a month. If you cut it out completely, you will likely binge on it again later (such as the many ice cream bars in a day or the candy). I like to try to eat fruit for my source of sweets. I get my sweet fix AND I don't crave other sweet treats. Just remember that diet plays a big part in the long run. You can definitely lose weight fast simply by watching your calories and taking the green tea pills, but it won't last long-term if you are eating all the sugar and things like spaghetti. It sounds like a pretty high carb diet, so definitely just try to balance it out. These things are fine in moderation, so keep the servings at a normal size. For spaghetti, try some whole wheat spaghetti with healthy toppings. Make sure to eat enough protein too!

I recently tried some "Zenergize Burn" which is a sparkling green tea drink (2 calories, 0 zero). It's delicious and a great alternative to soda. The package comes with tablets that you just add to water. You may enjoy this! It's like a treat to me because I like it so much. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I like the little boost of energy I get from green tea.

Closed Thread