It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

teens HB User
Bmi

I know I am a little bit overwieight, but the BMI calculators all say I am in a healthy weight. I want to know how overweight I am and plan a diet accordingly, is there a more accurate calculator? I weigh 145 lbs and am 5' 8 inches tall, 18 years old. BMI calculators say I have a BMI 22 which is healthy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Bmi

You are not "overweight" by the usual definition. BMI over 25 is what is considered "overweight". Being right in the middle of the "normal" range (BMI of 19 through 25) is generally considered the healthiest.

If you are concerned that you have too much body fat and too little muscle, you may want to try to get your body fat percentage measured. However, all such calculations are estimates that may be off by a few percent. Such calculations involve formulae based on height, weight, waist size, neck size, arm size, hip size, etc., or caliper pinches of skinfolds. Other estimates come from the body fat measuring scales. Somewhat more accurate, but less convenient and more expensive, are underwater weighing and x-ray methods.

The simplest proxy is to measure your waistline at navel level; if it is more than half your height, you may be at increased risk of high body fat.

If you are of normal weight or underweight with high body fat, then consider muscle building exercises to increase the amount of muscle and strength that you have. The added muscle will help burn calories and help you lose body fat. It may actually increase your weight, but added muscle is generally healthy and should not be a concern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
(male)

teens HB User

Thanks for ur response! I measured my wasiteline and it's 28 inches, I don't think that's accurate as well, because it's pretty far from half

anyway I think I have too high body fat and need to build some muscle I suppose?!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

A waist of 28 inches with a height of 68 inches is a waist / height ratio of 41%, which is usually found only in very low body fat athletes (indeed, even athletes are often somewhat higher, perhaps up to 46%). In other words, it is likely that you are very lean, and have a higher amount of muscle and lower amount of fat than most men with BMI of 22. Indeed, at least one body fat percentage formula based on height, weight, and waist believes that your body fat percentage is only 4%, which is down to the minimum essential body fat range for men.

So you almost certainly do not have excess body fat. Even if your goal is sport performance related, the goal would be better served by training for the sport, rather than trying to lose body fat (which someone who actually does have a lot of body fat may benefit from in many sports, but this almost certainly does not apply to you).

Last edited by tjlhb; 08-15-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
(male)

teens HB User

I'm not athletic at all, and certainly don't have an athlete's body. I don't know, maybe that waste/height ratio works for most ppl, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyways the past couple of year I've had a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but I'm working on changing that by lifting weight and been playing my drumset every day

Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
(male)

teens HB User

is there any other calculator I can use to determine my weight or something

Closed Thread