It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

lam41565 HB User
NutriSystem - Results - Good or Bad?

I just ordered my first month of Nutrisystem food. I have been hyming and hawing about whether to do this for over a year and finally just decided to go for it since nothing else seems to work and I just keep gaining weight. I do work out 3-4 times a week and try to watch what I eat during the week but weekends for me are very hard. I figure this portion control meals is the way to go since there is no measuring, weighing or anything like that. I should get the food in a couple of days. I am hoping to to lose 25 lbs within the next 2 months following this plan and exercising religiously!

If you have tried this plan recently please let me know your thoughts. Is it possible to lose 3 lbs a week on this with exercise? How much did you lose and how long were you on this program to lose it?

I can only afford this for about 2 months.

Any info appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

lam41565 HB User
Re: NutriSystem - Results - Good or Bad?

Anybody on Nutri System now or tried it recently???? All the posts that I found on here regarding Nutrisystem are very old. I want to get a recent opinion on the food and success on this diet. Anybody??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I've never tried nutrisystem, but I was on Jenny Craig and that's the same thing. I understand the ease of having portion sizes already measured out for you because that's why I signed up, too. Not having to prepare my own meals was another bonus because I'm lazy and I am a terrible cook, so that part was good.

However, my problem with any of these programs that force you to eat prepackaged foods is that it doesn't teach you how to choose and measure your own food. So, you might do really well and lose the weight on nutrisystem, but as soon as you go off, you'll gain it all back again.

Not only that but, at least with Jenny Craig, the food messed up my digestive system so badly that I couldn't eat real food for a while. I stupidly went back on it again like 15 years later and thankfully I got sick right away from the food so I was able to cancel before I got in too deep. But these prepackaged foods are so filled with preservatives, sodium, chemicals, soy and all sorts of unnatural crap that your body will not be happy about, I think it's just not a good idea. I have major problems with soy because it's an estrogenic. Most overweight women have overabundance of estrogen so they should be staying as far away from soy as possible if they know what's good for them.

As annoying as it is to have to watch what you eat, really South Beach diet and Weight Watchers are two of the best and healthiest lifestyles out there. It's hard to put in that effort to really pay attention to what you're eating, believe me I know because I'm extremely busy between work full time and grad school part time. But honestly, the only methods that will truly help you in the long run are those that teach you how to eat healthy on your own so you're not depending on their food to either continue losing weight or to maintain your weight loss.

That's my two cents. You can try it but I'm just saying, think about what you'll do when you've done your 2 months. What are you going to do about food? How are you going to prepare your own meals and how will you cope when you don't have the prepackaged stuff anymore? That's all stuff you need to think about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
melony88 (02-23-2011)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
(female)

lam41565 HB User
Smile Re: NutriSystem - Results - Good or Bad?

Kszan;

Thanks for you input! I do appreciate it. I have been on NS for about 5 days and I really can't complain about anything yet. Haven't had any problems with the food at all. I actually have alot more energy and feel better than when I started.

I have tried WW before...the flex and core plan. Didn't really do anything for me. I am doing this for a couple of months, possibly 3 because I want to lose about 35 lbs. I believe it is teaching portion size by eating the meals. I do know what I have to do once I get there to keep from gaining it back. I am going to the gym everyday which I have always done anyway but plan to keep up with for the rest of my life.

I just need a jump start because believe me I have tried everything. I think spending the money also gives me more of a incentive to really keep going. I won't screw up and waste my money.

I haven't had any digestive problems as of yet so keeping my fingers crossed. I will post about my progress as time goes on.

Thanks again for the input.....I will keep that in mind!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-01-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

lam41565 HB User

Well I have to say that I have been on NS for a week now and I really am feeling quite good about it! I like the food so far and haven't had any issues. I want to lose 40 lbs and I weighed in Monday and I lost 7!!
I am thrilled. It is so easy to do this plan.....I only wish I would have done it sooner. I know some of the weight is probably water but I'll take it! I have been working out about 4-5 x week drinking lots of water, eating my meals, lots of fruits and veggies. Feeling really good overall. This is really teaching me portion control. I was def eating way to big portions before. I will keep you posted on next weeks weigh in!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

denise2648 HB User

Ok, here's my input:

I have tried every diet out there-seriously. Nutrisystem was horrible for me. I didn't like the food (I rememeber one soup smelled exactly like dog food).I stuck to it for 2 weeks tho and didn't lose anything. Jenny Craig's food was AMAZING and i Was surprised at that but read a lot of people's digestive systems getting messed up. I knew that I could not rely on pre-packaged foods and the only way I would be happy and get my healthy foods in would be WW. It has the highest success rate for people losing and keeping it off, plus it's one that doctors will always recommend. I started in January and down 35lbs already. I can eat and drink what I want-which is the reality of life anyway, not eating pre-packaged foods! My opinion is if you try WW and it does nothing for you, then you din't follow the program exactly how you are supposed to. Lastly, to lose healthy you should lose no more than 2 lbs a week. Slow but steady winds the race! You can lose fast other ways but it WILL come back.

The Following User Says Thank You to denise2648 For This Useful Post:
melony88 (02-23-2011)
Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

lam41565 HB User

Well I have been on NS for about 3 weeks and I have to say I like the food. I have lost 7 lbs so far. 3 the first week and 2 ea the next two weeks. I did a typo in my previous message of 7...should have been 3. I am happy with this program. I like the idea of no measuring food out. I know exactly what to eat to get my calories in. I really think this program teaches you portion control so when you do go back to eating the regular foods you know how much you should eat. I have been eating very healthy...more fruits and veggies than I normally did. I also feel very good. Lot more energy and I do faithfully work out 4 + times a week.

I have tried WW before and it didn't work for me. Not to say other people wouldn't have success....obviously you did and thats great.

For me though I think this is the way to go right now. I am doing it for 3 months and then going on maintenenance. Actually NS has lots of recipes and stuff for when you do maintenance to keep you within the calorie limits also. So far this is the only thing I have tried where I actually am losing every week and at a healthy loss of about 2 lbs a week!

Good luck to you!

Last edited by lam41565; 09-16-2009 at 11:48 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lam41565 For This Useful Post:
melony88 (02-23-2011)
Old 09-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Iam41565,

I'm not surprised that you're happy with NutriSystem. What's not to be happy about? It's something new and exciting and you're losing weight! It's probably like a vacation too, from having to fix a meal from scratch. So enjoy it.

However! (Here comes the big however.) The truly important thing is the long term result. I remember when Oprah Winfrey was on NutriSystem. It was played up as the greatest thing going. After being on it for a long time, she came out on stage one day looking really great (thin waistline etc.). But what does she look like today? I no longer watch TV but from magazine pictures she appears to be quite large again. What happened? In my opinion, it falls under the heading of "fad diet" and fad diets don't work in the long run.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't enjoy it for the time being. Just be cautious in what you expect for the long run.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
melony88 (02-23-2011)
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Your post caught my eye. I have been on Nutrisystem for almost three weeks and have lost a little over 5 pounds. I am only planning on being on the plan for 28 days with a goal of losing a total of 10 pounds.

It has taught me to look at portion sizes in a whole new light. I have become a fan of sugerfree gelatin and drink mixes. The big thing for me is the mixing of protein, fruit and vegetables in a certain order. I also plan to use prepackaged foods available in the supermarket to replace the Nutrisystem entrees later.

I hope I can mention this on this board because something else has become a huge help in logging my weight daily. I have an iPhone and there is a free app that is wonderful in entering foods I eat daily, logging exercise and setting a weight loss goal. It tells you how many more calories are available after logging lunch or your snacks, etc., For example, in order for me to lose 1 pound per week I can eat 1232 calories per day.

It is easy to use and helped me get past a weight plateau this week. The reviews have been glowing for Lose It!

The Following User Says Thank You to janeslk For This Useful Post:
melony88 (02-23-2011)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
(female)

lam41565 HB User

That's great to hear! I am at a 10 lb loss now. Started on 8/24...lost 10 by 9/28/09. I am very happy with NS! I really like the food too. I just got another shipment in of the food. Got a free week of food also. I am just finishing up that box and going on maintenance.

I have been making some really good low fat recipes that I have collected. Very high in protein and vitamins. I am really excited about getting to my goal weight by Christmas. 30 lbs to go!!

Good luck with NS! I am sure you will do great!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-01-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: please try using the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply

Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Thank you. I have a feeling these last four or five pounds are going to be tough to lose. I don't think I could continue on the Nutrisystem food indefinitely. There are several items I like, but several others that I can't quite bring myself to try.

Good luck to you as well.

Closed Thread