It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
Phentermine?

Hello all. I am thinking of going on Phentermine to help with my weight loss. I am trying to eat healthier and I also do Pilates, so this is not some lazy way I am trying to lose weight; I just want a supplement to my weight loss! Has anyone tried this drug and what do you think? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Phentermine?

Sillygrl,

I have heard from a few people who tried Phentermine and I don't think the results were ever good. What I recall is that they regained the weight after stopping. And you do have to stop at some point; it's not something that you keep taking for the rest of your life.

It will cause you to eat less but it's something imposed by the drug. Pills won't take the place of learning restraint, good judgement and planing. You need to learn how to fill up your stomach with healthy whole foods that are low in calories. The pills (a drug) will not teach you how to do that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

As far as I know, the only way to get Phentermine is by a prescription. It is considered a "controlled non-narcotic Schedule IV drug", and chances are your doctor won't prescribe it.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Thank you for the responses. I am going to my doctor Monday to discuss options. Perhaps there are other drugs that can help decrease my appetite. I know that I really need to work on control but I need a kick start, so to say. A few years ago I had a really painful break up and I lost a ton of weight. My stomach actually felt like it shrunk and I ate considerably less. I realized that when I started to feel better I would start to eat more so I planned to eat well and I successfully kept the weight off for a good 3 years. I have gained about 30 pounds over the last couple years. I do pilates and workout but still battle eating too much. I know that appetite suppressants cannot be used long-term and I am prepared for that. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

nolongerfat HB User

I am new to this site so please be patient. I have been on Phentermine for 3 months and have lost 27 pounds so far. I actually stopped taking the pills for about 2 weeks to see what would happen. I think at least for that little time that it was mind over matter. I continued with my 3 meals a day. My last meal of every day was 7:30. During that period I did not lose extra weight, but I didn't feel as if I were suffering. For me, at this time in my life I am loving it, I only hope that when I am off of it, the "skills" I am learning now will keep me motivated to succeed.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I am glad to hear that someone is liking it. I have been taking it for two days now and food is not appealing to me in the least. I eat balanced meals that are portioned properly and I am also writing down what I eat so that I can continue this eating pattern for the rest of my life. Has anyone ever had a problem getting addicted to it? That was my only other major concern. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that since I have never abused drugs or alcohol he thinks it is very unlikely that I will get addicted to it.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Phentermine is similar to amphetamines, and people can become addicted to it similarly. Between 12 -- and if your lucky 36 weeks -- an individual’s body starts to adjust to the drug and it loses its appetite-suppressing effects. Regardless, based on the addictiveness of the drug, you should probably stop using this drug after 3 months. However, most people have trouble doing this, because it's ADDICTIVE.

In addition to both physical and psychological addiction, there are other side effects. The major ones include -- but are not limited to -- increased heart rate and blood pressure; pulmonary hypertension and perhaps heart valve damage.
The minor ones include problems with the gastrointestinal system as well as dry mouth.

Sure, it's definitely a "quick fix" to loose weight, however; the hard part is keeping it off after you stop taking it. That requires Major "Mind over Body" determination.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

You are totally right. I have already, for the past year been eating better foods, low fat, low cal and am making better choices. My problem being portion control and eating when I am not hungry. I need to overcome this and train myself to eat only when I am hungry and not when I am sitting watching a movie at 9 at night. I am hoping this drug will help me create a new lifestyle. I am keeping a journal of what I eat and how much I am eating so that I can continue this when I am off of it. I have spoken to my doctor about the addiction possibility and since I have never abused drugs or alcohol, he thinks it is unlikely. The reason they only prescribe it for 3 months and the max being 6 months is because addiction begins with long term ABUSE, meaning taking more than your recommended dose. As for the health side effects my doctor told me that people who took phentermine for 3 months had a LOWER risk of heart disease. This was the only thing he said that was good about it. He said straight out that he doesn't like prescribing it but because I promised to exercise, keep a food journal, and eat right he did. He is also only prescribing me it monthly and is making me come in every month for an evaluation before he prescribes the next month.

Closed Thread