It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
(female)

orenishi HB User
My daily meal plan- feedback please

Hello

I have been going to the gym for the last couple of months, but wanted to ease into it so didn't alter my eating habits significantly. Now I have seen some results from going to the gym, I also want to incorporate a good meal plan into my diet, and for the last week I've been sticking to 1200 calories eating the following:

1) Breakfast- 1 bowl of cereal (oats) with semi skimmed milk - 400 calories

2) Lunch- 2 slices of wholemeal bread with low fat margarine- 290 calories

3) Dinner- Sandwich (Tuna or chicken in wholemeal bread) 400 calories

4) 1 Snack per day- either a low fat yoghurt or Ryvita crackers (103 calories)

Total: 1193

The only drinks I have are green tea (no sugar) and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

As well as eating the above, I pretty much daily go to the gym and do an average of 60 min cardio as well as 3 or 4 weight machines on a low resistance.

Can anyone advise me whether this plan is ok for weight loss, and whether I should be doing anything else? Thanks

Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

ShyPerson HB User
Re: My daily meal plan- feedback please

The plan looks solid. I'd add some calories though, 1200 is pretty low. I'm 1.58 meters (5 feet 2 inches) and I lose weight on 1400-1500 calories a day.
Also, make sure you aren't overworking yourself at the gym, if you're too tired or stiff you're overdoing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
(female)

ReRod377 HB User

It seems like you're eating a high percentage of carbs...try to incorporate more lean sources of protein and you should probably eat more than bread and butter for lunch

Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Calorie counting isn't everything. For example, you could probably get 1,200 calories per day by eating 12 slices of bread. But where's the balance?

You didn't mention any fruit or vegetables and you seem to be low in protein and good fats.

So, I don't think your "plan is ok for weight loss" unless you plan on increasing your chances for illness somewhere down the road. What you need to be doing is thinking more about proper nutrition.

BREAKFAST: For breakfast you said you eat "oats." That could mean steel-cut oats, quick oats, slow cooking oats or cheerios. It makes a difference. What you want to look for is the least amount of processing. That would be steel-cut oats or "old fashion" oats. Then you can add some fruit and chopped nuts.

LUNCH: I think you're eating too much bread to the exclusion of other healthful whole foods. Try making a salad with dark leafy greens and other colorful vegetables. Include 3/4 cup of beans for protein and fiber. Then you can include some whole grain pasta to balance the protein from the beans (perhaps about 1/2 cup?). One serving of fruit for dessert.

DINNER: Again, you're eating too much bread to the exclusion of other healthful whole foods. Fix yourself a dish with white meat chicken, one serving of whole grain rice (to take the place of bread) and a few servings of various colorful vegetables. Vegetables could be steamed broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash etc.. The more variety the better for purposes of maintaining good nutrition and health. Olive oil dressing, in small amounts (1 to 2 teaspoons), is the best for your health. Again, you can have a serving of fruit for dessert.

You can do this and still stay within your calorie limit because fruits and vegetables are usually low in calories but high in nutrition (phytonutrients).

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-21-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: word change

Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Add more lean protein. 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg for breakfast and you still only have just over 110 calories. Add a slice of wheat toast and 1/2 cup of lowfat milk and move to the mid morn snack. Yogart 60cal and an apple 75cal. Lunch how about a salad with grilled chicken or salmon with light basalmic dressing. 300cal tops. Next snack a handful of almonds and some carrots & celery w/lite ranch. Dinner of fish or chicken with mixed veggies. Same number of calories at the end of the day but this way you get the essential vitamins from different sources and you are eating more often so your body doesnt want to store fat because it gets used to you feeding it every 2-3 hours. If you drink a low carb protein shake after your workout, you will also help build lean muscle.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
(male)

444Fromage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRod377 View Post
It seems like you're eating a high percentage of carbs...try to incorporate more lean sources of protein and you should probably eat more than bread and butter for lunch
I agree with ReRod377 those simple adjustments should provide the ideal balance

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
(male)

curtxxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenishi View Post
Hello

I have been going to the gym for the last couple of months, but wanted to ease into it so didn't alter my eating habits significantly. Now I have seen some results from going to the gym, I also want to incorporate a good meal plan into my diet, and for the last week I've been sticking to 1200 calories eating the following:

The only drinks I have are green tea (no sugar) and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

As well as eating the above, I pretty much daily go to the gym and do an average of 60 min cardio as well as 3 or 4 weight machines on a low resistance.

Can anyone advise me whether this plan is ok for weight loss, and whether I should be doing anything else? Thanks
Not good at all. 1200 calories per day is a low enough level. Now consider the calories you burn due to exercise and weight training. I would guess that with the 60 min or cardio per day your total caloric intake after burning those calories is about 600-700 per day.

I hate to beharsh and don't mean to be rude, but if you keep that up for even a remotely long period of time (over 6 months) and you will end up terribly sick or could even die.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
(female)

bad romance HB User
Smile Re: My daily meal plan- feedback please

definitely add in some fruits and veggies, even if you mix up some onion or green pepper or something with your tuna or turkey on your sandwich.. that's also going to get boring very quickly, trust me, i've tried! mix it up a little there are other meats that are low fat & low calorie! as someone said before, you should eat more than bread and butter for lunch, it's not very nutritious.. you don't just lose weight by counting calories, your body also needs certain vitamins and minerals and nutrients in order to work properly! if you don't have those, then you won't get anywhere with it. try a soup with veggies or something in it! also, instead of eating just one snack a day, try fruits or something as your second snack. they have very low calories and 0 fats, but they are also very nutritious! oats are okay for breakfast, but again, it's good to have veggies and fruits in every meal. so try adding in some strawberries or blueberries or something to the oats! it'll make it more tasty, and also more nutritious without raising the calories too much. just make sure you aren't startving yourself, because again, you will get nowhere with it. your body will just store any fats from any foods and if anything, you'll gain weight. hope this was helpful.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
(male)

titan38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenishi View Post
Hello

This is a pretty good food stategy. Possibly cut out another 150 calories to help tie up some lose strings.

Closed Thread