It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
need help with weight loss

i have a really easy time maintaining my weight, though there are times I gain water weight, say 5-10 lbs in a days time. It eventually goes back down. What I can't do is lose weight, to save my life.

exercise is really hard for me. i have weak muscles and fibromyalgia. so it hurts. but i was walking 3 times a day, 20 min walks each. it didn't do much of anything. i've tried jogging but excrutiating joint pain through my feet & legs stops me.

i've tried suppliments, last one being hydro-oxycut. Didn't make me lose a pound.

I've went on diets. Last one was eating nothing but brocilli. Uh that didn't help. I can starve and it makes no difference.

My last horrible idea was going back to using laxatives so now I'm drinking magnesium citrate laxative daily. I lost 3 lbs the first couple of days and now my weight won't budge again. Yea I know that's not safe. It's also made my appetite low.

I've replaced soda and drink mostly water now. I avoid junk food for the most part. I do not eat more than I should (around 1500 calories a day at most). So why in the world is this sooooooooooooooooo impossible?

i know there are alot of weight loss clinics out there including through medical doctors but do any of these places offer a guarantee that the weight will go off before you drown all your money into it?

Last edited by neveragain444; 09-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: need help with weight loss

Yes, some of those places DO offer a money back guarantee, so ask them first! A friend of mine joined a weight loss clinic that would give you money back if it didn't work. She said it was not cheap though, but worth it since they were very helpful.

You are right- laxatives and crazy restrictive diets are not the answer. In fact, these can really slow down your metabolism. I used to try things like that and even if I ever did lose weight, it would come right back. None of those diets give you lasting results. What worked for me was sticking with 1200-1500 calories (which sounds like you are doing- oh and by the way I am a 5'4 active female, a larger person may need to eat more, and I eat about 1500-1800 to maintain) and I also watch how balanced my meals are. I cut out processed foods as much as I can and stick with lots of lean protein, fruits, and veggies, and I limit my carb intake. I know a lot of people who do cereal diets or eat things like that and they're getting mostly ALL carbs and not enough of the other food groups, then they have a hard time with belly fat. Not the way to go!

It sounds like a challenge for exercise. Maybe seeing a doctor to talk about the best routine for you would be a good idea. Do you have access to an indoor swimming pool? Perhaps that would really help not put so much pain on you. Running is definitely tough on the body- I do it and it works, but definitely not food for any kind of pains! Something low impact will be great for you. Are you able to bike or cycle? Spinning classes will burn a ton of calories without a lot of impact on your body.

I think that once you find the right kind of exercise, it will help out greatly! Maybe you are like me and naturally don't have a fast metabolism, so it's difficult to lose weight by diet alone. I really have to exercise a lot to stay in shape. I'm maintaining, but if I want to lose weight, I have to do both exercise 5 times a week (and pretty vigorous) plus cut my calories some and watch what I'm eating. Walking is good too, but you would likely have to do a lot more walking to lose weight. Is it too painful to try to walk 5 times a week, for 30-45 minutes? I am not sure if that's do-able for you, but that might be more reasonable for a weight loss routine.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

yea it's too painful for me to walk very long. after about 7 minutes that pain really starts kicking in, and continuous walking throughout the week only makes it worse. it's not something I can just exercise away. it doesn't get better once you get used to it. i think maybe it's where my muscles are so weak and I'd probably be better off trying to build the strength up instead of trying to kill myself doing something that just hurts that bad.

i went ahead and joined curves, it was reasonably priced, and it's only a few minutes away. it isn't that hard but isn't that easy either. but I think I can do that every day without extreme difficulty.

whether or not it helps my weight might be another story though. we'll see.

thanks for the advice.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I hope Curves works well for you! I know you switch off on different machines, so maybe this will be good for you. Perhaps using a bike or something similar won't put as much strain on your legs since a lot of your weight is on the seat. At Curves, I am sure you will use some bikes as well as other machines. Good luck!!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've lost 1 lb in 3 days of going there. I think it might actually work. Trying to sleep last night was horrible though. I can't believe I signed up for a year of this. The committment I guess will keep me motivated. It feels good to get up out of bed of the morning and go exercise but my muscles feel like their getting kind of angry.

I want to change my eating habits too but I'm not very educated with nutrition. What do you need to do when dieting, do you avoid the fat & sodium and anything high in calories?

I'm trying to compile a list of foods to eat - and cut my calories to 1000 a day.

This is what I have so far, for things low in calories.

foods:
green beans (unsalted)
baked potatoe (but I have to add salt to that)
tomato
celery (as a snack)
salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato)
watermelon
fillet minon
soups
replace white bread for wheat bread
oatmeal (though a little higher in calories) - does it matter whether or not it's instant or the kind you cook a while?
eggs
tuna

drinks:
diet soda or water

avoiding all junk food, fried foods, butter, oil, avoiding most fruits where they are high in calories

Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm amazed at my results with curves & this new diet I started yesterday. I've lost 4 lbs in 4 days. I really didn't think the weight would budge but this is actually working.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
i have a really easy time maintaining my weight, though there are times I gain water weight, say 5-10 lbs in a days time. It eventually goes back down. What I can't do is lose weight, to save my life.

exercise is really hard for me. i have weak muscles and fibromyalgia. so it hurts. but i was walking 3 times a day, 20 min walks each. it didn't do much of anything. i've tried jogging but excrutiating joint pain through my feet & legs stops me.

i've tried suppliments, last one being hydro-oxycut. Didn't make me lose a pound.

I've went on diets. Last one was eating nothing but brocilli. Uh that didn't help. I can starve and it makes no difference.

My last horrible idea was going back to using laxatives so now I'm drinking magnesium citrate laxative daily. I lost 3 lbs the first couple of days and now my weight won't budge again. Yea I know that's not safe. It's also made my appetite low.

I've replaced soda and drink mostly water now. I avoid junk food for the most part. I do not eat more than I should (around 1500 calories a day at most). So why in the world is this sooooooooooooooooo impossible?

i know there are alot of weight loss clinics out there including through medical doctors but do any of these places offer a guarantee that the weight will go off before you drown all your money into it?
Find a physician who understands the thyroid and will measure your Reverse T3. Most physicians and endos don't look at it. I found an anti-aging physician here in Denver who is big on looking at Reverse T3. He found issues with mine, and put me on T3 as well as Iodine daily. I have lost about 15lbs without even trying. I also feel better!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really don't mind trying as long as what I'm doing is working. I'm losing an average of a pound a day, can't complain. Eating healthier, getting exercise I seriously need.

Hypothyroidism runs in my family but I've never been known to have it. All my grandfather's grandchildren are supposed to genetically get it, including me, but so far just my oldest sister has it.

Any idea why they don't look at that specific test? I've tried Iodine just to see if it would help my fatigue and after awhile I ended up worse so I quit using it.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Prosp HB User

I've researched a lot of weight loss options, because, like you, I'm not a fan of excessive exercise, restricted or weird diets. I've found several things that I didn't know about - most of them are changes in your body as you age. Here are a few of those I think are important for you to check out - things that are fairly easy and you can take action to change. Serotonin levels in your brain change with age, but they also are more highly impacted by your diet. Tryptophan is an excellent supplement to restore your brain's serotonin levels which will correct other chemical difficiencies in your body to make weight loss possible again. Other topics to look at are your basic metabolic rate, your hormone levels, methods of controlling carbohydrate absorption, even methods to control your fat cell growth and replication. One of the most interesting that I found was EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique. It's akin to accupuncture, but involves tapping instead of needles. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great work on your success so far!! That's great to hear. It sounds like you have done well with healthy eating. I generally try to eat more natural foods and less processed stuff and I have good luck with that. I eat a lot of lean protein, which helps ME stay lean! I used to eat too many carbs. I still eat them, but I limit my breads, pastas, and potatoes, cerea, which tend to make me feel bloated. I love grilled and baked chicken or white turkey breast, lean steak occasionally (filet mignon or sirloin) for the most part. I love fruit, but I avoid the fruits high in carbs, like bananas. I eat a lot of fresh berries and different seasonal fruits. I can't eat a lot of acidic fruits (although I like the taste) because I have a sensitive mouth/tongue/throat. Veggies are a great choice too, and you are right about watching out with the sodium. I avoid canned items and try to stick with fresh or frozen veggies without anything added to them. I don't like a lot of vegetables, but I do eat a lot of spinach leaves and fresh salads. Most of my carbs come from fruit and I also eat sprouted grain bread (whole wheat is good for you too, sprouted grain is just digested even slower, so your blood sugar spikes even less). If I want potatoes, I try to stick with sweet potatoes, which also keep your blood sugar more stable. For fats, I stick with healthy unsaturated fats from avocado, olive oil, and nuts. I just limit my serving sizes since the calories can really add up. Lastly, I drink lots of water! I also like diet sodas, but I limit myself to them. Just watch out because some people have increased cravings from diet sodas. I don't have this happen to me at all, so I just enjoy them in moderation!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
(male)

inHiscare HB User
Smile Re: need help with weight loss

As I've seen in the thread, everyone is different. So take this for what it's worth ... my personal experience. I was fat all my life. At one time I hovered around 380 lbs. 10 years ago I was exercising like crazy, doing triathlons and century rides (100 miles on a bike), but they didn't help me lose weight.

I quit exercising in order to lose weight. I joined a 12 step program. Sounds strange, but it worked for me. My mantra is "no flour, no sugar, no sweeteners, no caffeine, 3 meals a day and nothing in between," and I weigh and measure my food on a digital food scale. I also weigh myself only once a month.

In 9 months I was relieved of 135 lbs and 6 months later a total of 175 lbs. Did I mention that this weight came off without surgery, without pills and without exercise. No exercise. I need to plug exercise in somewhere, sometime, but it's now more than a year since I reached goal (195 - 200). Life is not perfect, but it is beautiful. I hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

inHiscare, that is awesome! Glad you found good success. You are so right about everyone needing to do what works for them. Not everyone is the same, so what might work for one may not work for another. I think once you find what works best for you (and is healthy to do), then stick with it!

I don't exercise for weight loss, but for my health and for my energy. BUT I stay at a healthy weight by doing it. I found that when I had a goal of "weight loss" I didn't really enjoy exercise much at all. Now that I do it for my health and as a way to get rid of stress, it somehow seems more worth it!

Like inHiscare, I also did a somewhat similar plan in terms of sugar and flour. I did eat SOME sugar, as I still ate fruit, but I cut out other kinds of sweets completely. I love flourless Ezekiel (sprouted grain) bread and like it better than flour bread anyway, so it was an easy change for me. I am glad I tried that bread out! The only differences I do is that I do eat small things throughout the day (because I hate to feel full), and I do have caffeine. I admire anyone who gives up caffeine! I know that isn't an easy thing to do. I limit the amount I have and maybe one day I'll be able to go without it! I am deal with the tiredness, but if I get a migraine (about once a month), some caffeine and over the counter meds helps it go away and nothing else has worked for me. It's either this or get a stronger prescription!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

one thing I have found difficult is getting full on eating alot of veggies, low fat foods, and avoiding most meat. i feel like i'm starving without it.

my weight loss stopped dead cold after I lost 5 1/2 lbs even though I was still watching what I was eating (750 to 1100 calories a day) and exercising daily. that's really aggrivating.

so i went off the diet and eat like a pig for 2 days. and I could tell how hungry my body was. yesterday, i had a club sandwich for dinner, followed by a hotdog, and then a big stack of pancakes and bacon + a couple of snacks. REALLY WENT OVERBOARD. almost felt like binge eating, I couldn't seem to stop. was eating even when I wasn't hungry. lost all of my willpower.

the consiquences, I gained 1 1/2 lbs in 2 days. well maybe you have to gain a little before losing it again, who knows. the metabolism is a strange thing to understand.

if i can lose a few pounds a month (which I already did the 1st week), I would be happy. when the year is up with this exercise program, I will have reached my weight loss goal just by that.

i like it because of the health benefits too. strength training is really good for chronic fatigue and week muscles. I really need it whether I lose weight or not. i love starting out my day by doing this. if i just wake up, and sit around, I feel worse, so this really helps me get moving in the mornings.

I used to take excedrin migrane tablets for headaches, and yea that caffeine really helps it, but I do not react well with caffeine, so I try to avoid it. i'm taking a prescription for mine now, cephadyn. it works like a charm. and it's even relaxing to my achy spine (which causes the headaches). it's one of those little dream pills.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sodium is in about everything you eat to some degree, it's really hard to avoid all together. i drink diet sprite & water both, can't give up my soda (lol). i can't seem to give up sweets completely (mostly just hooked on these baked chocolate chip cookies). but I'm still watching my calories. i have cut down about 300-500 calories a day from what I am used to eating.

strained a muscle in my shoulder earlier this week exercising so I only did it monday & tuesday and had to quit. but since my weight is like dropping like crazy. not that I mind, but it's just so not like me to lose weight easy. several mths ago, I'd practically starve (just eating veggies) and walk 3 times a day and couldn't lose any weight.

is it really normal to take 2 to 4 lbs off in a days time just because you ate 500 calories less than usual? if i drop about a 1/2 a pound from one day to the next, I'd think that's pretty much normal but the weight loss I'm experiencing I just can't understand how so much is coming off from the little bit I've done this week.

i'm so glad I'm losing weight now, but i think it's a bit excessive, and it has me a little worried. should I be? i'm kind of not used to this happening so is this just normal with dieting?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #15
(male)

sheedwalls HB User

I had the same weight problems back then but then I finally found a diet program that suited me well.. Im sticking to Chris Guerriero until today. There are a bunch of diet pills/programs and even the Hodia Gordonni hype out there but just choose the most reliable and effective for you. There are tons of misconceptions when it comes to proper diet and exercise just be wary of stuffs you read or buy.

Closed Thread