It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Exercise not doing a thing

While I admit slacking some days on exercising, I've been dieting and exercising for the better part of the last five months. And I have not lost even a fraction of an inch off my waist (either upper or lower waist). I can't do really intense workouts because I just get winded too soon...I'm having a hard time even with core exercises, which apparently even old, infirm senior citizens can do. I'm 22.

I guess I'm just very sick and tired of putting forth all these efforts for absolutely no reason. I'm thinking of adding fasting to my exercise and diet routine...not long-term fasting, but short-term. I've read quite a bit about the benefits of fasting and...well...I'm no stranger to them because I fasted long-term in high school. And that is what got me results, not exercise. Speaking of reading, I've also read quite a few articles suggesting exercise actually doesn't help people lose weight, so I wonder why I continue to do it when it has proven to do nothing but waste my time and make me sore.

So you're probably wondering what I have to ask. I'd like to ask if anyone knows of exercises that weak people can do that *work*, foods that aid in weight loss, fasting tips, and maybe ways to increase energy.

What I do not want to hear is: fasting doesn't work/is unhealthy/etc. I know for a fact it works because it worked for me before, and honestly, the alleged risks are worth it to me. Also don't want to hear that I might have a glandular problem...I don't. That is the excuse a lot of people who are overweight or obese use and I don't want to make excuses.

I'm not looking for "fast" weight loss plans. I know weight loss can't be fast, and I'm willing to wait for results. What I'm looking for is effective weight loss tips; I measure myself more than once a day with a tape measure and I want to see a difference in those inches.

If anyone can help out with any of the information I seek, I'd be extremely grateful.

<<<Please note that this thread is moved to the Weight Loss Board. Fasting is not a topic for the Exercise Board.>>>

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-10-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: moved to another Board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lhughes HB User
Re: Exercise not doing a thing

I think you need to go and see your doctor about this, for 3 reasons.

1. The fact is, if you are honestly burning more calories than you consume each day (whether by restricting calorie intake, burning off calories, or a combination of the two)then you WILL lose weight unless there is an underlying medical condition - in which case you should see your doctor.

2. If you feel so weak then there may be an underlying health condition such as underactive thyroid or anaemia - in which case your doctor needs to sort this out before you take on any more exercise or restrict your diet.

3. (And this may sounds harsh but I am only saying it out of concern). You sound like you may have (or be developing) some kind of eating disorder or perhaps have a degree of Body Dismorphia (where you see yourself as larger than you actually are). Measuring yourself more than once a day is not a good sign, neither is the fact that you are willing to fast and that the risks of fasting are 'worth it' to you.

If you are willing to post this information it would be interesting to know how much you weigh and how tall you are, as well as information such as what you are eating each day and your waist measurement.

I hope you can get back on track. But please see your doctor because I do think that there is an underlying medical issue here as well.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks firstly, lhughes, for responding, and secondly for not doing the "you're wrong because..." thing. Let me see if I can provide a bit more insight as far as my current dieting.

1. I am very bad at exercising and often have to force myself to because it's not enjoyable for me, so I try to make up for what I cannot do in exercise in calorie-cutting. My usual 30-40 minute workout that I do 3-4 times a week involves either core exercises or cardio exercises and they burn between 250 and 350 calories and gets my heart going to nearly 160 bpm (resting is between 80 and 90). I have never been able to lose weight via exercise, which is why I turned to fasting in the past. It was the only way I could lose weight. I also do crunches when I can...I figured that "burn" I'd feel was a good sign.

2. The weakness might be from lack of muscle mass. I've been tested for hypothyroidism and my results came back "acceptable". I also thought maybe anemia could be an issue (since I have many of the symptoms) until I read that anemics tend to be underweight and not obese. So I figured that wasn't it.

3. Maybe. Everyone says I look great, but I just can't make myself think that knowing I'm treading the thin line between juniors and plus size and that, due to an unfortunate body shape (small breasts, large abdomen), I look like I'm a few months pregnant...even more so when I bloat.

Last I weighed myself in June or July, I was 176, which was after a month of dieting and regular cardio exercising (a loss of four pounds). I have no clue what I weight now, but I'm guessing I've gained back what I lost and then some. My weight tends to waver between 175 and 190 for no reason and can easily go from one extreme to the next within a month.

I'm also 5'5" and my waist below my navel is 42 inches around (for some reason, I am fatter below the navel than above, where it's 36-37 inches around). My current weight loss goal is about 30 pounds, which would put me at about 150.

As far as eating habits...I'm on an 1100-calorie-a-day diet, don't eat breakfast and might have a small snack for lunch. Dinner is a regular meal. I also allow myself one day a week where I can eat whatever I want (usually sweets since I crave them).

Honestly, I'd love to go to a doctor, but I can't right now since I have no job and no insurance. It's why I'm taking my diet into my own hands. I keep a food journal every day to measure what I eat and to make sure I do not exceed 1100 calories a day...most days I actually undereat, but more because I just don't get hungry enough to eat 1100 calories worth of food.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lhughes HB User

Ok. I need to state I am no 'health expert', but I have lost weight through diet and exercise and would like to think I do know the basics. (I was 160lbs when I was 17, I'm now 23 and weigh 136lbs.) So this is my 'non-expert' advice...

1. Exercise. What you are doing now is a good basis. 30-40mins 3-4 times a week is a good start. However (I'm a UK resident) and the government here recommend 30mins of activity 5 times per week. this does include things like brisk walking, house work etc. Personally I think you can do more and it is a case of finding an activity that you enjoy. I took up salsa dancing and found this really good.

So vary your workout and alternate it, do cardio one day and resistance the next. DONT DO RESISTANCE 2 DAYS RUNNING. I recently learned how you build muscle. When you do resistance based exercises with a sufficiently heavy weight to make you work hard, your muscles tear very very slightly under the stress. over the next 48hours your muscle repairs intself by filling the tears with more muscle. this is how muscle builds. If you repeatedly do the same exercises and don't leave 48hours for the muscle to heal these tears, you will not build muscle. So do your resistance stuff evry other day to increase your strenght. Or you could work out your legs and lower body one day, and the next day concentrate on your upper body and abdomen.

2. Anemia is most common in underweight people, however I have suffered from it and I am a 'health' weight. If you are on a calorie controlled diet you may not be absorbing enough nutrients. Whilst vitamins are not a repalcement for a nutritious diet, you could try taking Iron and Vitamin B12 supplements and see if this makes you feel better. Be careful not to overdos,e especially on the iron, as an overdose is worse than not taking enough. I would really advise you to consult your doctor once you are able to about this. Anemia is so easily treatable once diagnosed and trust me, you feel the difference quickly!

3. 1100 calories a day is probably less that you should be having. Its a vicious cycle, you don't feel you are losing weight by exercise so you eat less, and then don't have the energy to exercise... Personally I would up the calories to 1400 by eating a healthy breakfast to kickstart your metabolism. A banana, boiled/scrambled egg or a bit of fish is ideal as it gives you the protein and energy you need to start the day. Starving yourself in the morning sends your body into starvation mode and your metabolism slows and hangs on to every calorie you consume throughout the day, knowing this has to last until the next day at lunchtime.

Yoru one day a week treat is fine. I tend to adopt this approach and it works for me. Just don't go overboard. Have a few sweets and maybe have a big carb meal such as pasta or something, so what you are eating on your treat day is naughty but still has some nutritional value.

This is just what I have found useful. I lost 24lbs but it was a slow process. It honestly took me about a year to get it off. A 'healthy' weight loss is 0.5 - 2lbs per week. Any more and you are losing muscle rather than fat. So if you only lose 4lbs in a month don't worry, that is 4lbs of fat which is fantastic! Just think how you would feel if you had gained 4lbs rather than losing it, and suddenly that 4lb loss seems quite good!

Good luck

Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Aw, it's only a start? Blah, I don't think I can do exercise every single day...those off days I absolutely love because I hate doing exercise even for 40 minutes. I also am pretty sure I'm allergic to the winter and I don't think I would be willing to shiver my way around outside for 30-40 minutes...summertime maybe, but not winter. I enjoy DDR when it's just for fun, but as exercise it just seems like a chore, along with core training. It's really hard for me to enjoy physical activity just because I get winded so easily, and I know I could never keep up with salsa dancing...not to mention my social phobia and the anxiety I'd have being in a dance class, wearing a dress, and moving in front of others (why I can't go to a gym).

But currently, I seem to do one week of core training (every other day) and one week of cardio (also every other day). And I do take a multivitamin every day and have been for several months...no change in how I feel.

I'm also not sure if I can actually make myself eat 1400 calories...often times I actually eat less than 1000 calories a day because I just am not that hungry, and if I wanted to achieve 1400 calories, I'd have to eat foods with a higher calorie content or have a 300-400 calorie snack at the end of the day.

I have actually heard that fasting for a couple days and then eating normally the third day will kick-start the metabolism, which is the kind of fasting I'm going for. I'd do it long-term, but I live with my mother right now and she would take notice if I just up and quit eating.

Thanks for the info, though. I do wonder if maybe I have reached a plateau as far as working out, and if that would be why I am seeing zero results as far as weight loss. I'd like to weigh myself again to see if I've gone down or up from 176. Four pounds was a disappointment, I guess, because I remember losing 10-12 pounds a month fasting.

Maybe I could go vegetarian...when I was on a vegetarian diet in college (as in eating white rice and stir-fried vegetables), I lost 12 pounds in a week. Water weight, probably, but man did that feel good. Now *that* is weight loss. I think I could handle being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, though.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
(male)

titan38 HB User

It is never the exericise. It is always the individual performing it. You need to increase your intensity and change your attitude or not only will you not see results but you won't deserve to see any. Maybe it's the exercise that's bugging you. Try something else.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
(male)

wil58 HB User

Exercise would be exceedingly difficult to me if my goal wasn't fitness. Unfortunately nowadays IMHO fitness is equated (even by personal trainers) with a slim build and that really is not necessarily the case. If your goal is a slim build the diet route is definitely the direction I'd take. But if you want to be fit, stick with exercising.....while ensuring you have lots of carb intake for the energy required (this is often at cross purposes with losing weight).

Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Dark Stranger,

Quote: "Maybe I should go vegetarian."

Yes! I like that Idea! Go for it! I eat a plant based diet and in my opinion, there's nothing better for health, weight control and longevity. A high fiber diet is the key and animal protein contains NO fiber. Get all of your protein from plants like legumes (beans and lentils etc; if you'll take notice, most vegetales have some protein). Legumes do not provide complete protein so be sure to bring balance by adding whole grain starches.

The average person only gets about 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day but the necessary amount (for good health and weight control) is 35.

One thing I don't agree with is the one day a week where you eat anything you want, like lots of candy treats etc. I see this as very self-defeating or self-destructive. If that's what you promote, you are naturally going to think that you need it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-19-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Fiber wouldn't be a problem...wheat bread and bran cereal are two of my favorite foods that just happen to be healthy. Although I hate that one slice of wheat bread has about 120 calories in it.

wil58, my goal is not fitness. I'm not looking to have a six-pack or to be buff or be able to pull a train with my teeth or be able to run a 5K marathon. I just want to lose some of my pudge and put myself at a healthier weight so I can look a bit better and feel better about myself. So it's more of a self-esteem thing.

titan38
, I really am doing the exercise I can handle; I do push myself, especially with core exercises. I don't know what else to do. I won't be able to do exercises that are more difficult than the ones I already am doing. I know it sounds patheitc, but it's true.

I'm convinced exercise isn't doing crap for me and is wasting my time, so I'm thinking of relying totally on a diet. I hear plenty of stories of people who manage to drop 20 or 30 pounds with just diet changes and no exercise.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I also used to really struggle with getting winded too fast, but I built my way up little by little, and now I go running regularly! Running is the #1 thing that keeps me in shape. If I switch to walking, the elliptical, or biking, I don't get as good results. Some people do great with other exercises, but for some reason I do best if I jog or run. I also lift light weights. I can honestly say it's been tough lately because I've been very tired and stressed. My energy has been low. I haven't been getting enough sleep either! All of this takes a toll on your body and makes exercise tough. On these days, I just do what I can. Even if it's a quick 15 minute workout, I feel better than if I did nothing. I also must take my ipod with me. It really makes the workout go by faster and more enjoyable if I have good music to listen to!

As for fasting, I can honestly say that if I eat too much, I might occasionally not eat for a little bit. Not a full day of skipping food, but I'll eat considerably less. I don't do this often at all.... so it doesn't mess up my metabolism. Just don't make it a regular habit of course, because that's when you do damage! I have a sensitive stomach, so there are times when I would be uncomfortable to eat if I'm not feeling well.

If I'm really struggling weight my weight, I cut out a lot of carbs and sweets. I'll let myself eat mostly berries for fruit, no pasta, no cereal, very little bread (and it must be whole wheat or sprouted grain), and lots of veggies and protein. I also watch my fat content and make sure that the fat I do eat is healthy fats. When I watch calories AND carbs, my results come so much faster! This especially helps me with belly fat.

Good luck with everything and don't give up! Weight loss is tough!! I know it took me a while to find what works for me. Unfortunately what may work for one of us might not be what works for you, but hopefully at least some of our tips may be helpful

Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I'm convinced exercise isn't doing crap for me and is wasting my time, so I'm thinking of relying totally on a diet. I hear plenty of stories of people who manage to drop 20 or 30 pounds with just diet changes and no exercise.
Those who lose weight by dieting without exercise are more at risk of losing a lot of muscle; if they are "successful" at losing weight, they may still have too high a percentage of body fat for good health, a condition that may be called sarcopenia or "skinny fat". Low muscle not only makes you weaker and less healthy, but also means that you have a lower metabolism (muscle burns more calories at rest than body fat does), so it will be easier to become fat again.

Try to include exercise in your daily activities. For example, walk, run, or bicycle to go places. Use the stairs instead of the elevator.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
(male)

J Smith HB User

I think you may be overtraining and under stress. The body will not release weight if you have this condition. Also if your autonomic nervous system is out of balalnce it will not release weight. I have been using the Heart Wizard wellness and assessment tracking program. I was overtraing and not losing weight. I am monitoring myself for fatigue and high sympathetic activation. Since I track these shifts and actually take a break and allow my body to recover the weight is falling off. I have even take two weeks off from training froma an over use injury and lost weight during this time.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
(female)

shipscook1 HB User

this is an old post, but must say--when you exercise and build muscle you will up you metabolism--muscle burns more calories than fat. Also weighs more, so you will look buffed?
And I am 5'5" 120# and burn 1200 calories a day on the couch, so if I am eating less than that, my body goes into starvation mode. That means it hangs onto calories.
So, one needs to calculate the calories they are burning per day and drop 500 a day, you will lose a pound a week.
Good luck,
Nan

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
(male)

daveocousins HB User

Diet is very important...i believe it is responsible for up to 80% of wieght loss/gain...with that said, weight bearing excercercise is a must...eating the right foods is a must...extremely low calories will lead to muscle wasting and fatigue which is not optimumn nutrition...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
(male)

Sagerstein HB User

Dark Stranger,

What stood out to me the most when reading your posts is when you mentioned that you measure your waistline more than once per day and you're considering starting to fast on a regular basis.

When you weigh or measure yourself every day (or more than once per day), you are setting yourself up for disappointment and potential failure. You're not the only one who does this...it's human nature to expect immediate feedback. Our brains are wired to think "Well, I just did a good work out. I must be skinnier!" But then, you measure yourself, don't see a tangible difference and come to the conclusion that the exercise is doing nothing.

But here's the kicker. You didn't start gaining weight and forming bad habits overnight, so you won't lose the weight overnight. Weight loss cannot be seen in the context of minutes, hours, and days...you have to look at it in terms of weeks, months, and years. Doing the former will lead to frustration. If you form consistent good habits, you WILL drop the weight. But it happens over time.

As for the fasting, I know it's turned into something of a mini-fad, but here's my opinion; Look at the soccer players playing in the World Cup right now. These guys are some of the most physically fit people in the world, and you won't find one of them (or their personal trainers and nutritionists) who would ever suggest fasting as a useful fitness tool.

Closed Thread