It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

joelletru HB User
gastric bypass post-op

Hi guys, I am really needing to connect with people who can help me thru my first few weeks after surgery. My op date was 11/25/09 and I can't seem to get my nutrient level up therefore my energy is too low....pls advise...Thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User
Re: gastric bypass post-op

I'am pre-op but went through it with my husband. Are you drinking your protein shakes? Have you consulted with your surgeon for your 1 month? Look for groups to join where you can get advice and support. Are you taking your vitamins? Are you still on liquids or on to soft foods? My husband had to get in 90 grams of protein a day, mainly through protein shakes.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-29-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

janelia HB User

Hi,
I am a simple lady.I work from home.I had a heavy body since i was a kid,but now after my marriage I have suddenly gained a lot of weight.I really feel bad about my weight and want to improve everything.I am not expecting a "Zero size figure",but at least a figure which is easy to carry.With this obesity thing ,I am becoming lazier day by day,which definitely is not a good sign.As time is passing ,my tensions are increasing day by day.I would love,if somebody could suggest me What should I do?I just cannot move on in my ;life with all these problems.Please help me.I would be really grateful..........
Thanks.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

joelletru HB User

janelia, I am 43, 5'1" and weighed 256lbs. I was lethargic, always tired, portion control was out of the question. All I could think about was how happy I could be if I could lose weight. Long story short...I had gastric bypass surgery 11/25/09 Thanksgiving eve. What no one can convey to you is this... after the surgery you may not feel hungry but you may still want to taste flavors of the things you love. I would like to have just 1 Crystal burger...but my new stomach pouch will not allow "that much food" to be consumed. I would love to eat an apple but It will be 3 months before I can. I don't think the term " meal" is in my vocab anymore. I am stuck on nasty vanilla/chocolate protein shakes that I have to force feed myself for now and it's very unsatisfying mentally. I will tell you what to do and you must listen....stop buying junk food, stop eating fast food, buy healthy foods you love, serve up healthy portion sizes and eat it slowly not in a rush and "SAVOR" it....start walking around your yard first , turn on your radio and dance around your house every time you're alone (don't let anyone know you dance when they're gone let it be your secret) enjoy life....I would not recommend this surgery to anyone who can still move even a little..It is last resort please believe me. I wish I could go back but it's too late for me. Keep blogging here for support... Good Luck Sweetheart

Old 01-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

<edited>

Sorry you're having such a tough time. I am about 10 days post op and I'm having trouble cramming down the protein shakes too. There's a lot of ways to get your protein in though. I also found a Special K protein flavor to add to water. Not too bad because you can control how strong it is.

I'm so glad I had my surgery. Cutting out fast food, decreasing portion sizes and all the traditional methods of losing weight just wasn't working for me. Perhaps my age or perhaps my mechanics, but I was fighting a losing battle. And now, I've never felt better and I'm only 10 days out. Can't wait to see what the future brings.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-29-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 01-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

joelletru;

It's really not too late. In the short term, yes. But don't get too depressed over your decision as the gastric bypass can be reversed. I just recently read a lengthy article that said the original intent of the gastric bypass was meant to be short term. Put up and then 18 months later, "taken down". The idea was because doctors knew that having gastric bypass in place would cause long term malabsorption of vitamins. But it worked better than doctors thought and the idea of living with it long term became the way it is. Now they are typically only "taken down" if the person has a real negative experience but it is done.

Basically, if you can, think of this as something to use for a year or so and get the weight off. Chances are you will adjust to the new life. After a year, you will also be able to eat more and tolerate more foods. But if not, you can look into getting it reversed once your weight is off. And if you have taken this time to work on modifying your behavior and thinking, you may be able to keep it off.

But I want to thank you for your post. I completely understand what you are saying. I read sites that are dedicated to gastric surgery folks and it reads like none of them ever really enjoyed food or had issues pushing away from the table. And if you express that fear, that you will miss food so much it will cause depression, you get jumped. It's almost like gastric surgery causes amnesia! One woman actually referred to her family who all had normal sized stomachs as "pigs" because they were eating normal sized meals! I found that amazing.

I really wish the good, old fashioned stomach stapling was still done. I'd love a middle ground, something to help but not so drastic to disrupt your entire lifestyle. But so many people abused that, and it failed after a few years, that it's no longer in mode. But I do wish I had a shot at that type of surgery.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

The vertical sleeve is the same as the "old-fashioned stomach stapling" and it is still available and many times a better option for people who don't want to give up their standard favorites. The sad part is many people don't realize that by doing gastric bypass, you're putting forth a commitment. A commitment saying that you don't want to go back to the habits that got you in the situation you're in having to have surgery.

As well, while a gastric bypass is technically reversible, it's a dangerous process and not always successful. It's used ONLY in extreme necessary conditions - not just when someone is tired of their new ways.

Closed Thread