It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

lost209 HB User
Question Is eating crackers okay or will you get fat?

I'm trying to loss weight and keep my blood sugar down is crackers oaky? Or is crackers just has bad has chips ? I know chips have a alot of sugar and very much will make some one fat.

Are crackers and chips simple or conplex carbs?

On a side note many say white bread, buns, crackers, pizza dough, spaghetti, gravies, pasta ,cakes, donuts, cookies and cupcakes will make you fat and have alot of sugar and will make you sugar spike and some say these are simple carbs and some say these are conplex carbs.But have alot of sugar and make you fat .

Why do they have so much sugar ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Is eating crackers oaky or will you get fat?

I try to avoid crackers, but if I do eat them, I go with a whole wheat, high fiber cracker. I find it helpful to try to keep snacks so they are not ALL carbs. For example, if I want some whole wheat crackers, I will top them with some veggies or a slice of turkey to get in some protein as well.

I notice that after I cut out a lot of white carbs, my stomach got a lot flatter. I used to have a little bit of a belly, and now I can wear my bikini I still eat carbs, but in moderation, and I stick with whole wheat, sweet potatoes, fruits, veggies, and other healthy carbs! I even do eat chips on occasion, but I just keep the servings small. I absolutely love dried vegetables, which are similar to chips since they are crunchy. They just look funny

You might want to read about the glycemic index. Some foods digest faster than others. If you stick with more of the slower digesting foods (low on the glycemic index), you are less likely to energy spikes and crashes. I find it helpful to try to remember to eat lots of natural foods and limit those foods that are in boxes, bags, frozen, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
(male)

leopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB User
Re: Is eating crackers okay or will you get fat?

The cracker ,ehh just itís not food my friend .

A real fresh tomatoes ,a real fresh carrot ,a real apple .
2 real eggs and a big real potatoes .

That provide energy for the entire day .

all this dry things ,the vitamins have gone for a long time .
Vitamins are in the fresh food only . enjoy your plate .

Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

lost,

I don't think eating crackers is such a good idea, especially if you're trying to lose weight. When in doubt, put the item, whatever it is, to the "whole food" test. Ask yourself: "Is this a whole food, or is this a highly processed food?"

Complex carbs are (or should be) unprocessed. Some examples are whole fruit, vegetables, 100% whole (intact) grains, nuts and seeds.

What's not good is when food processors take whole grain and grind it into a very fine flour to make baked goods. You will see bread, crackers etc. labeled "100% whole grain". However, if they grind the grain into a fine flour, is it whole anymore? No it's not. A true whole grain, like whole wheat berries or oat groats, will take longer to digest and will be less likely to cause blood sugar problems and weight gain.

To make matters worse, they often add high fructose corn syrup to baked goods. Sometimes they add sugar and salt. There's nothing good about it, as far as health and weight control.

So, if you're really serious about losing weight, avoid ALL baked goods. Never mind whether it's simple or complex. Then when you get down to your ideal weight, you still should not eat any baked goods. Why go back to what helped cause your problem in the first place?

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-23-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
(male)

lost209 HB User

Here is what it is saying on the cracker box

Here is what it is saying on the 3 cracker boxes I have

per 10
calaries 110
fat/lipides 4.5G
cholesterol 0MG
sodium 125MG
carbohydrate 14G
fibre.fiibres 1G
sugars/sucres 1 G
protein 2G

per 6
calaries 90
fat/lipides 4.0 G
cholesterol 0
sodium 190 MG
carbohydrate 12 G
fibre/fiibres 1 G
sugars/sucres 1 G
protein 1 G

per 8
calaries 100
fat/lipides 5 G
cholesterol 0
sodium 170 MG
carbohydrate 13 G
fibre/fiibres 0
sugars/sucres 1 G
protein 1 G

What is sodium and is that bad? What should the carbohydrate be at?

Quote:
I don't think eating crackers is such a good idea, especially if you're trying to lose weight. When in doubt, put the item, whatever it is, to the "whole food" test. Ask yourself: "Is this a whole food, or is this a highly processed food?"
Should I not be watching how many calaries I eat in a day? I should eat no more than 900 calaries in a day?

Well fruit and vegetables have sugar .

Quote:
What's not good is when food processors take whole grain and grind it into a very fine flour to make baked goods

Why is this bad?

Quote:
I try to avoid crackers, but if I do eat them, I go with a whole wheat, high fiber cracker. I find it helpful to try to keep snacks so they are not ALL carbs. For example, if I want some whole wheat crackers, I will top them with some veggies or a slice of turkey to get in some protein as well.
What foods are not carbs? Alot of foods seem to be carbs even fruit and vegetables .It so hard to find foods with no carbs.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

lost,

To choose the best of the three boxes of crackers, you would be looking to see which is the least harmful. But the least harmful does not mean it will be good for you. What about nutrition? Shouldn't nutrition count for something? What nutrition does any of them have? As far as I can tell, all three boxes represent empty calories. In other words, you are consuming calories but getting very little, if any, nutrients in return.

Sodium is contained in salt so salty food is high in sodium. That's the best way I know to explain it. You should avoid high sodium/salty food because it can lead to high blood pressure and high blood pressure can lead to heart disease.

What should the carbohydrate be at? Refined carbohydrate should be at zero. If you're on a diet to lose weight, you should not be eating any refined carbohydrate.

About counting calories: I never count calories. If you stay away from refined carbs and/or high calorie processed foods, there's really no need to figure the total calories for the meal or for the day.

Yes, fruit and vegetables contain natural sugar. Fruit has the most but you're not supposed to eat unlimited amounts of fruit. A rule of thumb is one serving per meal or snack and one serving is about 1/2 cup. You can exceed that a little as long as you don't get too carried away.

Consuming natural sugar isn't "bad" as long as you don't over do it and providing it's a natural part of the food (a whole food). Too, a lot depends on the individual and his/her health status. For example, I have heard of some people with diabetes that don't eat fruit because they say it raises their blood sugar too much.

Foods that are not carbs: Animal protein. That just about covers it. If it was once walking around, crawling or swimming, it's not a carb. Carbs come from plants that grow out of the ground.

I live on a "plant based diet" so almost everything I eat is a carb. I'm living proof that carbs won't make you fat as long as you follow certain common sense rules. 1) Don't eat refined (processed) carbs. For example, avoid eating anything made with flour, especially white flour. 2) Get your protein from legumes (beans, lentils, split peas etc.) and whole grain rice, whole wheat berries or barley etc. If you eat meat, it should be kept to a minimum (no more than 4 ounces per meal for the average man) and it should be very lean (like chicken breast with the skin removed). 3) The rest of your meal should be vegetables of all kinds (although you should try to avoid white potatoes). 4) Never get stuffed; eat until you are about 80% full. If necessary, add more meals or snacks.

If you eat less animal protein and get more of your protein from plants (legumes), like I do, then you will be consuming more fiber, and fiber is very important for maintaining and/or losing weight.

Note: If you ever decide to eliminate animal protein, you might need to take a B12 supplement because B12 is mostly supplied by animal protein.

Closed Thread