It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

ladybug1978 HB User
Trying So Hard to Lose Weight-HELLLPPP!!

Hello All,

I am a 31 y/o female 205lbs/5'3- I have recently made some great life changes for myself, I cut any alcohol out of my diet this has been over a month, quit smoking which was easy w/o alcohol, I stopped the pill which is know to cause extra water weight (switching to an IUD) I also cut down my red meat intake to less than once a week, I have been to the Gym everyday but 2 days the last 3 weeks and have done at least 30 minutes on the elliptical each time, no machines yet. I have also cut anything white out of my diet, unless ofcourse I eat a Lean cuisine for lunch if I have to. I have been trying to drink protein shakes I get from costco for at least 2 meals a day(160 cal, 30gms protein, 3grams fat, sugars 1) I eat at least 3 fruits a day and veggies, I feel as though I am getting nowhere also since I quit smoking I have been constipated, I go every 3 days or so but its hard to? I just started to take 2 tsp of safflower oil daily (good for belly fat)? I also bought 5HTP-I hear it is a good replacement of serontonin and I do get seasonally depressed-I love the sun-so hopefully it will help. I don't see any difference on the scale, I do feel better-however my husband has lost 10lbs doing the same? Last year I was able to get down to 187lbs and felt good, I would like to get down to 140 for life, all my blood work is great-BP, Cholesterol and Tryglycerides, I have also been checked for Thyroid probs as well as diabetes? I do canstanly think about food...I have gotten better and keep healthy snack around all the time? Anyone else have any suggestions I am lost and getting frustrated????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
(male)

curtxxx HB User
Re: Trying So Hard to Lose Weight-HELLLPPP!!

Increase the fibre content of your meals (adding even more fruits will help as they have natural fibre). You might also want to talk to your doc/pharmacist about a temporary herbal laxative - if so take only half the recommended dose (you can become dependent on them so not long term)

Also, for the wieght loss reduce sodium intake to no more that 2400 mg/day (more sodium = increased feeling of being bloated)

Make sure to drink LOTS of water (8+ cups a day). Also...anytime you have a drink with caffeine (pop, coffee, tea, etc) - drink the equivalent in water IN ADDITION to your regular water intake

hope this helps as a start

Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

ladybug1978 HB User

Thanks so much!!! I will!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-16-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: quote

Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

sjb81 HB User

I was going to say that it sounds like you're doing fantastic.

One tip I have is do NOT compare yourself to your husband. That isn't fair to you. Guys are so different from women and even we are different from one another. When my husband and I try to lose weight together he barely has to lift a finger to make a change. When I focus on his success, it makes it more frustrating for me.

I was also going to say to drink a lot of water. I think a good 64 oz is good but I've also heard that you should drink your weight in oz of water daily? It sounds like a lot...If you want to research that you can...but it sounds off to me. (Maybe it's your weight divided by 2 in oz??)

Best of luck. Keep it up. I'd say the best part of this is that you quit smoking! WOW! Congratulations and GOOD JOB. That's awesome...and THAT is a huge success in itself. Keep going....

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

Orangetiger HB User

To get a good jump start on a weight loss program try a colon cleanse. The Utlimate Colon Cleanse is a good one. Some times people will have a hard time loosing weight if their body is "backed up" or is toxic.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-27-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: please do not direct off board searches to find websites

Old 01-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Congrats on all the good changes you've made so far! My advice is to just make sure you are eating a reasonable amount of calories. It's easy to actually have too little calories when using meal replacement drinks. I drink them sometimes, but I try to make sure I still get enough calories, and of course not too many! Always stay at least at 1200calories (I usually do around 1500 to lose weight with exercise and am 5'4 female). It took me several WEEKS before I dropped any weight at all a couple of years ago! Perhaps you are the same way. I know MANY people like this. I tend to build more muscle FIRST, then I lose more weight. Try to focus on how great you feel and that you are making healthy improvements, rather than what the scale says. I know it's hard to do that, but if you only focus on weight, you will likely get discouraged and won't want to keep up with all of your hard work. Just keep doing what you are doing, and when you are ready, definitely add in some strength training. Try higher reps with low weights to tone and not bulk up. I find that a combination of both cardio and weights helps me get my best body!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
(male)

webkrawler HB User

So far it sounds like you are off to a good start..

I noticed you said you cut anything white out of your diet.
Although this sounds good I would recommend you re-direct
this to cutting out simple carbohydrates, which most are
white but some are not and although white foods like
cauliflower, onions, turnips and even potatoes (baked or boiled) can be healthy.

I also did not see anything about whole grains. Whole grains, between
about 3-6 servings per day, can helo cut the hunger.

What about sugar? You may want to concentrate on foods low
in sugar as sugar spikes your hunger.

Keep us up to date and don't give up!

BTW- My wife and I went on a "lifestyle change" together and
even though I weighed 50lbs more then her when we started, I
now weigh 20lbs less then her. Men and women are different.
Base your progress only on your own merits.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
(male)

johndavid1804 HB User

Just have a diet meal with some sort of exercise...nothing to worry about anything else.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
(male)

johndavid1804 HB User

Try to avoid alcohol,smoking or any unknown pills.
You will be automatically be fine.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
(male)

curtxxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavid1804 View Post
Try to avoid alcohol,smoking or any unknown pills.
You will be automatically be fine.
Please don't listen to this man. While these ideas are great, that is nowhere near the comprehensive approach you need to take to make a lifestyle change for weight loss. It is also incorrect to state that you will "automatically be fine" as other indicators such as blood pressure, cholesterol, BMI, etc etc etc play a major role.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

empowermephoto HB User

Find what works for you! That is the most important thing. You shouldn't have to give up foods you love, but you also need to pay attention to portion control and listen to your body. It takes time to make major changes, so be patient with yourself. Exercise is essential, but again, do what you like to do, otherwise you won't stick with it. Try visualizing your success. Maybe add an empowering photo to help you on your way. It worked great for my friend! Good luck to you!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug1978 View Post
I have been to the Gym everyday but 2 days the last 3 weeks and have done at least 30 minutes on the elliptical each time, no machines yet.
Two suggestions regarding exercise:

1. As your physical fitness increases, increase the intensity of exercise. What may have been an intense workout when you were a beginner may not be as intense (i.e. may not be burning as many calories) after you have become more physically fit.

2. Include some muscle building strength training, since increased muscle increases your base metabolism, burning more calories even at rest. Pushups, pullups, body weight squats, and dips can be done at home with minimal equipment; weights can be used at the gym. Be sure to get instruction on proper technique for weight lifting in order to avoid injury. Just as with cardio exercise, increase your workout (more pushups / pullups / body weight squats / dips, or heavier weights) as you get stronger.

One of the reasons that women may find it harder to lose excess body fat compared to men is that women on average have lower muscle mass and higher body fat percentage to begin with (some of this is innate gender difference -- adult female body fat percentage is about 7-8% higher than adult male body fat percentage at similar levels of fitness), which equates to a lower metabolism. Making the disparity even greater is a tendency for women to do less muscle building strength training than men (in the gym, I see both women and men on the cardio machines, but mostly men and hardly any women in the weight area).

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Ok, here's my post from the other thread. I hope it helps you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know where you are coming from. I have been overweight most of my life. I've been on the weight loss rollercoaster forever. Diets are simply a joke by themselves. I've lost as much as 100lbs only to see it come back after the diet is over. Diets only work if you plan on staying on them for the rest of your life. And in 99.999999% of the time, that just isn't going to happen. I'm in my 40's now. It's an old saying but, I wish I knew then (when I was 17) what I know now. I accidently discovered the key to gradual weight loss and most importantly, keeping off the weight without being on any type of food restrictive diet. To make a long story even longer (lol), about 3 years ago I started feeling the aches and pains of old age setting in on the old body. I did some research on vitamin D, calcium, other vitamins and minerals, and colon cleansing. I decided to start with the vitamins and minerals. I started taking a multivitamin/multimineral suppliment (Rite-Aid store brand "Whole Source"). In addition, I also started taking about 3000IU of vitamin D3 per day. I also started taking coral calcium (Barefoot Coral Calcuim Complete). It took a couple of weeks for me to notice a difference. But the aches and pains were gradually going away. In just a month or two, the pain was gone. I also had energy like I had when I was in my 20's. A few months down the road, I realized I had lost a few pounds. Now, I hadn't been dieting at all. Trust me when I say, I eat whatever I want, when I want. It's been a little over 3 years now, and I have lost about 45lbs. I was 304lbs and now I'm at 259lbs. I now know that I could go on a diet and lose weight with the diet, but more importantly, I now have the tools to keep it off. I always wondered how those skinny people stayed skinny while eating twice the garbage that I was eating. Their metabolism's just ran faster that mine. I found out that if you give your body the vitamins and minerals that it needs to properly function, that your metabolism speeds up. This moves things through your system much faster and healthier at the same time. The vitamins and minerals also will fix many other things in your body that are out of whack. For instance, I had terrible spring allergies (pollen). For about a month and a half every spring, I was in misery. The first spring, after I started taking the suppliments, the severity of my allergy symptoms was cut in half. The second year, it was cut in half again. And this last spring, I had no allergy symptoms what so ever. This was huge for me, because I work outside constantly. Anyway, back to the weight loss. I did do a colon cleanse. It helped somewhat. It helped to increase my metabolism a little more. I know the vitamins and minerals really helped my wife too. She was having a bowell movement about once every three days. That has been a way of life for her forever. She now has two or three bowell movements a day. And there have been many changes in her as well. Weight loss, energy, attitude, and just a spark in her that hasn't been there for years. I can't be exactly sure which suppliments are doing the most good in my life, but in my opinion, it's probably the Barefoot Coral Calcuim and the Vitamin D3. Because every now and then I run out the different suppliments. I notice a difference when I'm off of the calcuim and/or the vitamin D for a day or two. I don't notice much when I miss a few days of the multivitamin/multimineral. But, I'm not going to quit taking any of them. I recently (2 months ago) did step up my Vitamin D3 intake from 3000IU to 5000IU per day. It actually stepped up things in my life another notch to the good. It sounds too good to be true, but all I can tell you is that it worked wonders for my life. Oh, and one more thing. I used to get the cold and/or flu about once or twice a year. I haven't had either of those for 3 years now. And I work constantly around the public. In hundreds of homes with people that have had everything from the common cold, flu, and many cases of the swine flu. It's almost laughable, I catch nothing anymore. Well, I hope this novel I've written helps you. (lol) I told you it was a long story. Good luck!

Closed Thread