It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

DeweyTeachnGal HB User
Weight gain while taking an anti-depressant - Any advice?

Hi everyone,

I started taking an anti-depressant (Sertraline, which is the generic form of Zoloft) in October, and I've noticed a slight weight gain to a point where I've gone up a size in my jeans. I've never gained weight that quickly in a short amount of time, and I've heard that losing the weight that has been gained while taking an anti-depressant can be very difficult. I like to work out 4-5 times a week, and I am watching my portions. The medicine has definitely caused an appetite increase, which is also very concerning to me. Is there anyone on here who has had success with losing weight that was caused by taking an anti-depressant? Thanks

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
(male)

curtxxx HB User
Re: Weight gain while taking an anti-depressant - Any advice?

I have found the opposite - anti-depressants make me lose weight. Weird. Perhaps this is something to discuss with your doc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

Hey,

If the weight gain really bothers you, you should talk to your doctor about it. I gained some weight over two years on Lexapro. Last year I switched to Pristiq and later I had Wellbutrin added, and since last January I have lost all the weight and then some. There may be an antidepressant out there that will work for you, that does not cause the increase in appetite. You will need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages to each!

Good Luck!

Last edited by NP74; 01-12-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
(female)

Believer2010 HB User

How was your intial experience with Pristiq? Also, how much Wellbutrin are you on? I am glad that this combination has been working for you but I am having so many negative challenges with Pristiq. I need to wean off this stuff before I go looney.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

My initial response to Pristiq was a surge in energy, I was able to increase my work outs, and spent a lot less time just sitting around doing nothing. I do have stronger reactions to emotional issues, and every time something stressful happens to me, I seem to fall into a really depressed state for a while. But usually I am able to work myself out of it again with the help of my therapist.

I am om 300mg generic wellbutrin.

P

Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
(female)

ladybug1978 HB User

Which one are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtxxx View Post
I have found the opposite - anti-depressants make me lose weight. Weird. Perhaps this is something to discuss with your doc?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Ask your doctor if it is possible for you to switch to Wellbutrin. For years, I was scared to take anti-depressants because of the side effect of weight gain. I've been taking Wellbutrin for 9 months and I've lost 70 lbs. I find that it cuts my cravings for sugary carbs in half and I'm able to actually get out of bed every morning and exercise. Before I started, I was so depressed that I could not stick to any type of exercise program for longer than a week. Now, I have the energy and inspiration to do it faithfully. Plus, I'm not always eating to make myself feel better. Wellbutrin definately has some other not so great side effects, but I swear, I have felt so much better since I've started taking it and it's great not to crave sugary foods 24 hours a day.

Last edited by shucky ducky; 01-25-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread