It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
(male)

toatsies HB User
advice please. I am underweight but I still have so much fat flab?

Hi there.

I am 18-yo, male. I am 6feet2 and I weight 155 pounds. I recently went from 225 to 155. I gained and lost the weight quite fast, which has left me with some problems.

I am almost underweight on the BMI scale. However, even after all that weight loss, I still carry quite a bit of fat on my stomach, waist and legs.

However, the rest of me is very skinny, almost showing my bones and ribs.

My question is, first of all, how is this possible? Why can't I seem to get rid of this last bit of fat? What can I do to lose this fat flabby body and tone up without losing more weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: advice please. I am underweight but I still have so much fat flab?

If you are currently underweight or close to it, but still have excess flab, you may have too little muscle. Which means that your body fat percentage may be fairly high despite your low weight. That is generally considered unhealthy. However, it is also unhealthy to continue losing any weight if you are currently underweight or close to it.

It is likely that the best route to go near term is to gain muscle weight. This requires exercise; resistance / weight / bodyweight training tends to be the best for building muscles. Be sure to include big muscles like your back (pullups, rows), chest (pushups, dips), and legs (squats), as well as a strong core (crunches and variants). Eating enough, including sufficient protein, is also needed to build muscle.

Note that more muscle will increase your metabolism, so it will be easier to lose any remaining excess fat if you need to after gaining enough muscle weight to be out of danger of being underweight (continuing to exercise to maintain your muscles is necessary to ensure that weight loss is mostly fat, rather than hard-earned muscle).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread