It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

asjdwf021 HB User
In desperate need of help. Just stopped my diet.

Hello all. First things first, I love this website. Ok, now to the problem at hand. I had been on the Southbeach diet for around 4 years and had lost a significant amount of weight. When I started the diet I was at 235 pounds and within a period of 7 months I was down to a startling 160 pounds. I struggled for the longest time to keep the weight down and even went back and forth from phase 2 back to phase 1.

Now I've stopped the madness with the South Beach Diet because I've been reading literature from my Primary Doctor and also have been told that a Diet is really nothing but a fad. A Diet can only take weight off for so long. Southbeach Diet did not make me feel healthy and to tell everyone the truth I felt skinny fat (if that is possible) while on it for that long.

I am now in desperate need of help. I weight 218 pounds again. I don't know if I need a diet techs help or I can do it on my own. Due to being on the South Beach Diet I'm afraid to eat bread, pasta, rice, or anything at all LOL.

What should I be eating? Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated friends.

Thank you,

Aaron

Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

sue5678 HB User
Re: In desperate need of help. Just stopped my diet.

Hello! I understand your dilema, I hope my advice can help you... The pamplet you are reading is correct, dieting is a fad, and not a healthy way to learn to see food. Losing weight is supposed to help us get healthier. I would suggest maybe seeing nutritionist, that will help you design a menu that works for you personally, so they can help you become healthier and also help you to get the proper nutrition that your body needs. Good luck I hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

kalyanic HB User

Hi! I can understand your situation, I hope my advice can help you, best ways to loose weight at home you can try lots of vitemans, minerals, protein added foods & drinking hot water at least 2 times in a day (morning & night) & best way to loss weight try meridia diet pills. I have also taken meridia, it's work.

Last edited by kalyanic; 04-27-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

Now is a great time to incorporate an intense exercise program. Possibly 4-6 times a week. Be sure to incorporate weight resistance, along with cardio. As far as the diet, reduce the carbs and increase you protein.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Aaron,

You don't need to fear carbohydrates. Just stay away from PROCESSED carbohydrates like baked goods made with flour.

Concentrate on eating unprocessed whole foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole (intact) grains, nuts and seeds. One exception I make is olive oil which is minimally processed.

What are some common processed foods? Fruit juice is a processed food because the fiber is removed. Cow's milk and soymilk are processed. Even meat is processed if the animals are grain fed. In the case of grain fed animals, the processing begins before the animals are slaughtered.

Sometimes a dietitian or nutritionist can be helpful because they will give you permission to eat limited amounts of processed foods. After all, in order to be liked by the public they can't be too strict. If they were known to be too strict, no one would go to them. The same holds true for diet books. Popular diet books tend to bend the rules to accomodate the tastes of their readers. That might be the reason why so many diets fail.

As a general rule, if something is being sold, whether it be advice, diet books or diet related products, you will be given a compromised diet plan. It's not really the fault of the dietitian, nutritionist or diet book author, they're just doing what they need to do to survive in a competitive market. It's all based on supply and demand.

However, the whole plan that you will need for health and weight control is laid out (above) in the first two paragraphs. What more do you need?
You might need to know about portion control or portion sizes and I'll be glad to answer any questions as best I can.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-29-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added "fresh" fruits

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjdwf021 View Post
Southbeach Diet did not make me feel healthy and to tell everyone the truth I felt skinny fat (if that is possible) while on it for that long.
I think I know what you mean by feeling "skinny fat". I've never heard that before but it might be because your brain needed time to catch up to the new lighter-weight person that you had become.

It might be like the person who has an arm amputated and feels as though the arm is still there. Some even report that they feel an itch on their missing limb and they get frustrated because they can't scratch it.

I had a really bad cataract in my left eye because I delayed having it removed. After having it removed, I felt that my vision was still slightly blocked on one side. It was like a phantom obstruction because my brain needed time to adjust. After several months, that phantom obstruction went away.

As for the part about not feeling healthy, I'm not sure about that. That could be due to a number of things and I'm not familliar with the details of the Southbeach diet. Were you in good health and just not feeling healthy, or did you have some health issues that the diet did not resolve?

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-01-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
(female)

hreshtag HB User

2 words for you: weight... watchers. You can eat anything you like. Just teaches you to eat healthier and watch portions. Remember that you can always eat everything you like. Skinny people eat cheesecake too, it's just that most stop after a couple bites (or some have really fast metabolisms, lucky ducks). Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjdwf021 View Post
Hello all. First things first, I love this website. Ok, now to the problem at hand. I had been on the Southbeach diet for around 4 years and had lost a significant amount of weight. When I started the diet I was at 235 pounds and within a period of 7 months I was down to a startling 160 pounds. I struggled for the longest time to keep the weight down and even went back and forth from phase 2 back to phase 1.

Now I've stopped the madness with the South Beach Diet because I've been reading literature from my Primary Doctor and also have been told that a Diet is really nothing but a fad. A Diet can only take weight off for so long. Southbeach Diet did not make me feel healthy and to tell everyone the truth I felt skinny fat (if that is possible) while on it for that long.

I am now in desperate need of help. I weight 218 pounds again. I don't know if I need a diet techs help or I can do it on my own. Due to being on the South Beach Diet I'm afraid to eat bread, pasta, rice, or anything at all LOL.

What should I be eating? Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated friends.

Thank you,

Aaron

Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User

I eat pretty much the opposite way of eating from the South Beach diet, and it makes me feel great. High energy, lost 35 pounds in 5 months and I am only 3 pounds from my goal. I eat all I want of starches like potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash and rice and lots of veggies, plus some legumes and I don't go hungry. It is a low-fat , starch-based diet with no added oil at all, (that means no butter on the potatoes and no oil in cooking) and no animal products. No refined foods. It works great for me, maybe it would help you, too. Plenty of people who eat this way have lost and maintained over 100 pound losses. If it sounds like it is too austere all I can say is that once you give your body time to adjust, the food tastes good, but it is different at first.

Good luck! You can do it! It only takes about 5-6 days to feel the change in energy if you stick to it 100%.

I want to add that I maintained my weight for several years eating this way a number of years ago and it was great. Then my son got schizophrenia and it depressed me so much I went off and gained the weight back. This year I finally got back to eating this way and I am so glad about that and happy to wear my small sized clothes again.

Last edited by Kimesie; 06-21-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I think I know what you mean by feeling "skinny fat". I've never heard that before but it might be because your brain needed time to catch up to the new lighter-weight person that you had become.
"Skinny fat" usually refers to the situation of being "normal weight" (or even "underweight"), but with a high body fat percentage. In academic papers, it may be referred to as "normal weight obesity" or "sarcopenia". Such people often have metabolic issues similar to those who are obese (by the usual definition), even though they make appear to not be obese if one just looks at height and weight.

This situation is more likely to occur when someone does little or no exercise (including someone who has lost weight by dieting without exercise, resulting in loss of muscle weight), hence allowing muscles to shrink and become weak. The lesser muscle also reduces metabolism, which allows body fat percentage to increase.

Closed Thread