It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
(male)

Stronginthearm HB User
20lb in two weeks?

Hi, I have lost 20lbs or so in the couple of weeks.

I've been having problems with palpatations, slow/fast heart rate, back pain, low energy, nausea (without vomiting), changes in bowel movement, trouble concentrating or keeping interest.. all starting about 2 weeks ago. So I haven't been excessively exercising and I haven't been cutting calories.

I went been in hospital twice and told nothing is wrong, I phoned to see a doctor today and was told unless I'm dying or have chest pain, they can't see me (it's the weekend), and that it's probably just anxiety. I don't think there's anything wrong with my heart.. even though I've had palpatations with rapid heart and sometimes hard breathing with slow heart, I think it's something else which is effecting the heart.

Anyone had troubles like this with rapid weight loss?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: 20lb in two weeks?

Stronginthearm,

Rapid loss of fat cells can be dangerous for this reason: Certain toxins are stored in fat cells. So as you lose weight, those toxins go into the blood stream. It's the liver's job to remove those toxins but the liver can only work so fast. If you lose more than a pound or two per week there can be an overload of toxins building up in your blood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
(male)

Stronginthearm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Stronginthearm,

Rapid loss of fat cells can be dangerous for this reason: Certain toxins are stored in fat cells. So as you lose weight, those toxins go into the blood stream. It's the liver's job to remove those toxins but the liver can only work so fast. If you lose more than a pound or two per week there can be an overload of toxins building up in your blood.
Hi John, thanks for the reply. That is probably adding to my problems (and an explintion to when my AST levels were raised 50 points in blood test last week). Can the toxins affect kidney fuction too? I urinate a lot and less volume, and smells like fruit juice (OK, too much information!)

Did I mention the weight loss is unintentional? I normally go running twice a week and lift weights 4 times a week, plus have a physical job. But the weight loss has happened in the last 2 weeks and I haven't exercised, apart from walking, and my diet hasn't been as 'strict' as it normally is (the occasional junk food on top). But the weight has come off, I can literally see all my oblique muscles like I'm starved. Interestingly I feel quite good again if I don't eat for a length of time (more energy).

Oh well, just have to put up with it I guess. The heart problems and kidney/back pain are sometimes worrying though. I've not felt right for some months though (occasional chest pain, low energy, sometimes I used to eat 6,000 calories a day for a few weeks and gain very little weight, even though years ago I had to fight to keep it off).

Thanks again, guess I'll see my GP. It's really effecting the quality of my life, which doesn't seem to bother the doctors unfortunately.

Last edited by Stronginthearm; 04-24-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

Are you taking any type of medication? Rapid weight loss should not increase your heart rate because most of what you have lost is just water. It sounds like something your taking that is causing this change in heart rate.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Stronginthearm,

Sorry, I missunderstood your problem. I thought you purposely lost 20 pounds in two weeks and then felt sick because of losing weight rapidly. I should have read your post more carefully.

I'm not sure how the toxins would affect you because everyone is different. If you're feeling good again by not eating, that may be a good sign. It's difficult to argue with "feeling quite good again".

About the heart palpatations etc.: Were you experiencing more stress than usual? Were you pushing yourself too hard? Stress can cause palpatations, loss of energy etc..

It might be best to take it easy for a while, drink plenty of water and eat a normal calorie diet. If the people at the hospital told you that nothing is wrong, it's probably true. Most health problems are self-correcting in time.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
(female)

day one HB User

If you have been eating normally and still losing weight (and this being a pretty large chunk of weight for two weeks) along with the other symptoms you described, you should see your primary doctor and ask him/her about the possibility of hyperthyroidism. Some other symptoms you may (but may not) have are feeling hot more easily than those around you, blurry vision.

Closed Thread