It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2002, 06:41 PM   #1

crazyCALIgirl327 HB User
Am I overweight or just stocky and muscular?

i'm 5'0 and 119 lbs and 13 years old. i take many dance classes and i'm very active and physical, and i try to eat as best as i can. i cant seem to lose any weight, though. i was anorexic for a little, but i couldn't keep it up. i have a very muscular build and i hate it. i was in ballet this afternoon, looking at all those skinny little girls my age and i felt so embarrassed that i didnt look like them, like i wasnt good enough because i am bigger than they are. i just felt like running out of the room and crying, but i didnt. my dream is to become a dancer, but i know i cant do that because of my body build, and it makes me really depressed. i'm a good dancer, too. well i was just talking and you dont have to reply if you dont want to.
~me

Old 06-20-2002, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User
Re: Am I overweight or just stocky and muscular?

I totally know where you are coming from!!!!!!!! I am 5'1", 122 lbs, 24 yrs old. Don't let the age fool you. I have been this weight or more since about your age. I do need to be completly honest with you. It doesn't get any better. You have many options though...I know you want to be a dancer, but did you think about gymnastics or cheerleading. That is the way I went. It kept me active, and I had a lot of fun.
If that is not what you want then you will have to do what I try to do everyday....try and accept yourself. I know it is sooooooo hard, and I cry all the time when I compare myself to other girls. We need to stay focused on the great things about ourselves! You know the grass is always greener on the other side. I just know that those skinny, perfect girls are unhappy about something too. I wish you allllllll the luck in the world! It is a long road ahead. Stay strong!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

crazyCALIgirl327 HB User

yeah, i was in gymnastics for 7 years and i was a cheerleader on my jr high squad, i was even captain which was good. it was a lot of fun, but dancing is what i really love. i just wish i had the body to do it. thanks a lot, though.
---------
Becky

Old 06-22-2002, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Caligirl--most of us have been where you are. When I was 11-12, I was the shortest one in my class, and the chubbiest. I too was VERY active. I was on the swim team, also a dancer, I biked EVERYWHERE I went. And still; I was the way I was. Then I got into highschool, and for some reason my body changed all on it's own. I was still muscular; but my body changed into a shaplier woman form. To this day, I am shorter, not chubby-but muscular. I am 27 years old, and have had two children. What I am trying to point out is this: it will take time for you to change into a womanly shape. It ususally takes shorter women/girls with our frames awhile. It WILL HAPPEN! I wouldn't suggest finding something else to partake in if dance really makes you happy. Around here we have an AWESOME dance team/poms. You'll be able to get into that soon, right? That REALLY works your tail off!!! It sounds to me like you are happy doing dance, it's just the teenage envy that is getting to you. We all want things we can't have. Just try to be patient....I know it's easier said than done at this age. Good things come to those who wait. Keep us posted..... HANG IN THERE!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
Inactive

AshLin HB User

Hi Crazycaligirl..

I am about 5'0 123 lbs. When I was in high school I weighed about 110-115lbs.. very close to what you are. I am a very muscular build and I also danced. I took ballet for 13 years and was in the Nutcracker 3 years in a row. Just because I was short and muscular, didn't mean I was a bad dancer.. I still had fluidity and grace just like the tall lean girls. Anyhow.. I understand.. that being our height and build we don't fit the ballet "standard".. and AZ24 is right.. maybe getting into something else. I was also avidly involved in Tap, Jazz, aerobics, flamanco, Modern, and yoga.. All these have no height requirement.. and with a good ballet background you will be AWESOME at every other form of dance you try. Don't get down on yourself..... I'm sure you are beautiful... try some new things...

Old 06-26-2002, 06:14 AM   #6

RockFreak HB User

There is nothing to be ashamed of if you're muscular...that means you burn more calories than those skinny girls. And another thing...Why would you compare yourself to other girls?!?! That gets me so mad when girls do that! I used to...Everyone has their own body type from their own daily activies/exercises and even traits from their parents and you have more muscle than they do so be proud you're buff, girl! You don't wanna be skinny and be able to see your bones sticking out eeww. (Lots of guys even hate that.)If it makes you feel any better, I'm 5'2 and about 135lbs and I got lots of muscle too from gymnastics and gyms for 6 years. My boyfriend loves it and I've learned to also. It's great when you can impress people at the gym by lifting so much more than the skinny wimpy girls..hehe So be proud and confident!

Old 06-26-2002, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User

You're 13, so unless you're already taller than your mom, there's a good chance you'll grow another few inches by the time you're 16. Ask your parents what your growth pattern is - some kids put on weight just before they have a growth spurt.

Aside from eating properly and exercising, get plenty of good quality uninterrupted sleep so that your body can make enough growth hormone. People your age need about 8 to 9 hours sleep a night.

Closed Thread