It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2002, 11:54 AM   #1

justink80 HB User
Lost too much weight?

Up until this week I have been steadily losing weight at the rate of 1-2 pounds per week. Well, for the past week, I increased my exercise and when I weighed myself this morning I had lost 4 pounds since last Thursday. I'm actually a bit concerned about this because I've read that it's possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week -- anything more is muscle. In fact, the body can only metabolize 1 or 2 pounds of fat per week. Is this true?

Maybe I need to eat more?

Old 06-20-2002, 12:06 PM   #2

penguin chick HB User
Re: Lost too much weight?

I have read that as well, but I might disagree that anymore loss is necessarily muscle. Have you been drinking enough water? Water loss is very possible as well. Also, if you are significantly overweight I think losing more than 2 pounds a week can still be 3 or even 4 pounds of fat. But if you are eating the same way as you have been and exercising more, make sure the more exercise is something you can cointinue with and not too extreme so if you have to stop it you might gain some weight. Remember, it's a lifestyle permanent change that works in the long run not a diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #3

justink80 HB User

Thanks for responding.

I am not significantly overweight -- 5'10, 193.5 lbs, large frame (I used to lift weights regularly so I have a fair amount of muscle). In about 2 and a half months I've lost about 20 lbs.

When I began my "diet" (I don't "believe" in diets either -- I view it as a change of lifestyle) I drank a lot of water but have gradually decreased the amount. But lately I have increased the amount again.

I didn't increase the amount of exercise too much. I added about 5 minutes to my cardio, and I now take a 3 mile walk every evening. I cut down on my carbs a little bit and added more protein.

I'm not so concerned with losing "weight", but losing FAT...so I hope I am not losing any muscle. <p>[This message has been edited by justink80 (edited 06-20-2002).]

Old 06-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
(male)

drisnya HB User

if you're maintaining water intake and keeping your protein levels high, you'll be fine....if you're lifting, are you increasing in amounts lifted/reps? if you're getting stronger and losing 4 lbs a wk, let me know exactly what you're doing, pal. :-)

Closed Thread