It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
(male)

Sebum HB User
Question about the Atkins Diet...

First off, is the Atkins Diet a book you buy? Is it expensive?

How many carbs are you supposed to have a day? I'm 14, 5'3, and 160lbs. Is it hard to stay on?

Once you lose a lot of weight then start to eat more carbs, are you going to gain all the weight back? I really don't think I can do the Atkins Diet, since I have pasta almost everynight for dinner.

Edit: How many carbs should I intake per day to lose weight?<p>[This message has been edited by Sebum (edited 05-13-2002).]

Old 05-13-2002, 08:26 PM   #2

blessedtwice2001 HB User
Re: Question about the Atkins Diet...

Dr. Atkins has several books. The one most helpful to you would be Dr. Atkins New Diet REvolution. Go Atkinsfriends.com to the recipe section and you will get ideas about what you can eat. There is also a bulletin board there....very helpful. However, if you think you couldn't stay on it, there is a book called Sugar Busters....adds some fruit and bread....The Atkins site will help you decide if you can do this way of eating. Initially you have under 20 grams of carbs daily for first two weeks. I successfully lost 30 pounds years ago. I have trouble staying motivated on any diet plan these days. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User

We meet again Sebum...
The Atkins diet is out in paperbook and it's like 5 bucks but you're rather young to be pursuing that diet. You're still growing and the diet may deprive you of nutrients you need right now.

I'm not against Atkins by any means - I do it myself. Atkins is a fairly strict plan and it could be difficult to try to do it on your own. And yes, you will gain back the weight when you go back to eating normally - Atkins is more of a life-long committment.

If you increase your exercise and adapt a more healthy lifestyle, you'll be much happier.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:56 PM   #4

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User

you would be better off following something closer to the body for life plan, or dropping carbs moderately. The atkins is rough to stick on, especially if you work out, and leaves your muscles soft.

Old 05-14-2002, 02:25 AM   #5
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The atkins is rough to stick on, especially if you work out, and leaves your muscles soft<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why's that? Is there a theory behind this, or just an anecdotal story? Personally, my muscles aren't soft, and i have more energy than ever... infact, you'll see a common theme with the Atkins diet, and that is that you rarely get hungry, and you have more energy than ever.

Old 05-14-2002, 06:29 AM   #6
Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Muscles soft? Sorry, I low carb and I'm extremely cut. You burn fat, not muscles.
Sebum - your eating pasta every night? Those are empty calories. You can pick up Atkins' book used for a couple of dollars at Amazon. Once you read the book you will understand what your body needs and what it doesn't, and most importantly why. The Atkins diet DOESN'T deprive the body of nutrients. First two weeks are resticted intake but you don't have to start there, the process will just be slower. But, if you eliminate simple sugars, bread and pasta, and anything that says hydrogenated vegetable oil you will see an immediate change in your body and the pounds should drop off. It's a very healthy lifestyle when fully understood.

Old 05-14-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

Sebum HB User

I don't eat pasta EVERY night, but it is what my family usually has for dinner.

What else can I eat besides that?

What are empty calories?

Old 05-15-2002, 06:32 AM   #8
Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Empty calories are calories that have no nutritional value. Simple sugars, for example. What else can you eat? - Meats, chicken, bacon & eggs, fish, cheese and good green vegetables like broccoli, green beans, squash, nuts, olive oil, etc. Good natural un-processed foods. Stay away from bread, pasta, rice, and veggies grown underground like potatoes,yams and carrots,they are very high in sugar(carb) content. Vegetable juice is a good substitute for fruit juices since fruit juices are almost straight sugar, fruit in moderation is good. Drink lots of water. Once you get the book is all becomes clear. Another good book is Protein Power Life Plan. These are not high protein diets but rather low(not no)carbohydrate diets. A low carb diet is considered anything under 100 grams a day. And, it is more of a way of eating rather than a diet.
Good Luck and keep working out. Oh, and by the way, once you kick the carbs out you will lose your appetite. Is is the carbs that make you hungry, I have to force myself to eat sometimes.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:50 AM   #9

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User

I shouldn't have used the term soft, I should have used flat instead. Lack of carbs takes some of the water weight from muscle tissue. If you go for a week or so going low carb, and then have a couple of carb up days, you will see how your muscles will pump up, and look a lot fuller. Check any weight lifting board, this is pretty much the consensus with everyone that weight trains regularly during a cutting phase. Myself, within 2 days of low carbing (I am on a carb rotation program, with carb up days to replenish leptin levels) I can feel the difference, and see the difference in the mirror.

Old 05-16-2002, 04:01 PM   #10
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Lack of carbs takes some of the water weight from muscle tissue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So wouldn't this make the muscle 'hard' more than anything?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you go for a week or so going low carb, and then have a couple of carb up days, you will see how your muscles will pump up, and look a lot fuller<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, i don't believe that... not unless you have some proper research or links to show it. I've gone plenty of weeks with eating a normal diet, and my muscles don't look any different... although i feel more bloated. It's like fuel in a car... having more fuel isn't going to make the car go any faster.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Check any weight lifting board, this is pretty much the consensus with everyone that weight trains regularly during a cutting phase<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That they eat carbs to have a more fuller look? I'll like a link to a board where people are practicing this in the cutting phase. That goes against everything i know, and the people i've seen practicing.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:58 PM   #11

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User

I am not sure that it would make it any more hard. I mean when you take creatine, and it increases the volume of water that the muscle tissue can hold, the muscles aren't less hard (not to a degree that I can notice) yet they are larger, and you are able to handle more weights.

and I am not talking about going weeks on a "normal" diet. If you (well, most people) go without carbs for a while, and then carb up for one day....the effects will be seen on the muscle, and felt in the gym. Of course this also depends on how much muscle mass one has, as to if they can actually see the difference dramatically.

and I wasn't saying that people eat carbs during a cutting phase for a more fuller look. Some people go the traditional route of a bulking phase, followed by a strict cutting phase etc.. But, there are others that are doing a carb rotation phase like I am for most of the year. 2-3 days really low carbs, followed by a day (or half day) of carbing up to refill glycogen levels in the muscle tissue, and more importantly, replenish the bodies leptin levels, which is very important for fat loss.

I don't think that the poster is trying to follow a bulk up/carb down approach because they were looking into atkins as a way to lose weight. All I was saying is that a more balanced.........maybe 40/30/30 or 50/30/20 plan would be better for general health.

Atkins is fine for the people that have trouble with carbs, or don't work out much, but if you are looking to add some muscle weight to your frame....then atkins really isn't the way to go.

We aren't allowed to post links on this forum, as far as I know, unless it is to a .gov of .edu link.......but do a search for the elite fitness message board, and do a search for leptin refeeds and there is a lot of info about carb up days.

Closed Thread