It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2002, 03:44 PM   #1

lunagirl HB User
Taking in calories at night

I have lowered my caloric intake to about 1200 calories a day to help me lose weight in conjunction with exercise. I usually eat like fruit and granola, or yogurt for breakfast (under about 200 calories), and usually a can of tuna with light mayo (under 200 calories) for lunch, some veggie snacks between meals, and a dinner under 400 calories. I am a student and usually stay up until 1 or 2 am, so of course I need to snack at night as well because I naturally get hungry and am hypoglycemic. I CAN'T sleep unless I eat because I get sweaty, dizzy and those other hyploglycemic symptoms. The snacks I usually eat are usually healthy and under about 200 cals, but is this really hurting my weight loss goals? Does anyone know what I can do to stop me from eating at night ( I can't possibly go to bed earlier because I get off work late and have to study). Should I be eating more calories during the day and less at night? Is 1000 cals during the day too little? Any advice would be much appreciated! thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Taking in calories at night

Just because you have symptoms of hypoglycemia doesn't mean you actually are. Try to find a friend who has diabetes or borrow a meter from your school and check your blood sugar when you have those symtpoms. Chances are, you don't have low blood sugar at all. Your symptoms are most likely from eating too much sugar at your evening meal, compounded by all the sugar you eat for breakfast. I think your insulin levels are going high at night and that is what makes you feel hungry. If you add more fat to your diet then your insulin levels will stay lower and that hungry feeling should go away. (note: high insulin levels don't necessarily mean low blood sugar levels, especially if you are overweight).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 04:10 PM   #3

lunagirl HB User
Re: Taking in calories at night

thanks orion, but i am hypoglycemic - my doctor told me when i was very young. I've had symptoms of diabetes before, so I constantly have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day with a monitor.

Closed Thread