It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2002, 09:40 AM   #1

penguin chick HB User
Fiber

hey all, I recently heard that fiber aids in digestion and is great for weight loss and your overall health period. I was wondering if anyone heard this as well? and I also wanted to know if you guys can reccomend foods high in fiber, healthy and low in calories? thanks!

Old 06-07-2002, 01:34 AM   #2

CC HB User
Re: Fiber

Fiber is a natural diuretic and appetite suppressant. It also helps stabilize b;ood sugar by slowing down the absorption of dietary carbohydrates. It makes you feel fuller quicker. 25 grams of fiber a day is a good start. Natural fiber can be found in green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, peppers, avocados, broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, celery, cucumber, and mushrooms.
Hope this helps, CC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2002, 06:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Eating fiber rich food is one of the healthest things you can do.

A person should intake 25 to 35 grams daily. I have found that it's hard to eat that much fruit and veggies on a regular basis.

There is NO fiber in meats and dairy products. Taking a water soluble fiber supplement is a good choice. It's a stool forming agent ---makes you regular, is safe to take daily and cleans your gastro system so you don't get colon infections or even cancer.

I use psyllium seed husk that is in Metamucil---- Citrucil is ok but not a natrual fiber. Equate from Wal Mart is good and cheaper. Just drink enough water and start off slow. It does breakdown by your intestinal bacteria , ferments so it will cause gas when you first start taking it but it'll go away with continued use.

Harry

Old 06-07-2002, 09:33 AM   #4

penguin chick HB User

Thankyou CC for all the info. I will try to get my daily fiber intake to about 25-30 grams. However, I will use Harry's advice of a natural fiber supplement. But, I gotta ask... is it safe to use the supplement everyday? Does the fiber supplement take on the same functions as a laxative or just stabilizes the digestive system to a normal mode? Because I'm not complaining about my system, I just want to add more fiber into my diet without eating all the fruits and veggies and other fiber containing foods since I'm also trying to reduce my caloric intake. So would you reccomend me to take this fiber supplement even when my bowel movements are perectly normal and i do NOT want the effects of a laxative?

Old 06-07-2002, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Taking a water soluble fiber supplement is safe to take daily. It use to say "Bowel Regulator" on the container but now it says "natrual fiber laxative". It works to regulate you and it works as well for diarrhea as it does for constipation. I have been taking psyllium for almost 20 years---daily.

Fiber is what makes your colon work properly. A water soluble fiber also acts as a cleaner for the pockets and folds in your colon.

I think taking a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium is one of the healthest things you can do and everyone should do it---particularly in this day with most of our Food processed to some degree.
You know everyone makes choices about their health---This would be a good ONE!!!!

Harry

Old 06-08-2002, 08:07 AM   #6

Cindymcon HB User

Hi all, thought I'd chime in on fiber supplements. My dad, who had diverticulitis had to take fiber supplements for 30 years. Kept his digestive tract and colon healthy. My 3 year old nephew was born with a colon disorder. He had to have a colostomy bag for a few weeks at birth, then had surgery to remove a small section of his colon. He's OK, but starting having issues with bowel movements a year or so ago, so his Dr. put him on fiber supplements - most likely lifetime. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! :-) Cindy

Old 06-10-2002, 06:24 AM   #7
(male)

russ60 HB User

Very convincing messages!!

Reply Reply