It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2002, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

Wink HB User
Why do I "crash" around 2:30 every day?

For the past two weeks I've been eating fruit and oatmeal in the morning, usually a big spinach salad with some chicken or tuna for lunch, and some protein and veggies for dinner. If I need a snack I grab a protein bar that's low on carbs. I'm not really "counting" carbs, just trying to eat a healthier diet. I've been walking at lunchtime at work for 40 minutes (very brisk walking). I've been drinking a LOT of water and get about 6.5 -7 hours of sleep a night. I've been keeping a journal, and have noticed that about every afternoon around 2:30-3pm I crash! I get really sleepy and could literally just nod out at my desk. What could be causing this to happen? Oh- I'm 41 and weigh 170 lbs. Need to lose about 25 lbs.
Thanks!

Old 02-25-2002, 07:48 AM   #2

Shel HB User
Re: Why do I "crash" around 2:30 every day?

Good Question. The same thing happens to me. And I've tried to vary my lunch to see if it helps and it doesn't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

Wink HB User

I'm thinking that maybe since my lunch is mostly "no carbs" that I'm feeling so sleepy b/c I need to have a snack around that "sleepy" time in the afternoon for some energy? What's a healthy energy snack that's not loaded with carbs...OR....is there such a thing as a "healthy" carb snack? I'm trying to say away from sugars. If I have a protein bar...I just don't notice any energy boost from that.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #4

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User

with your lunchtime meal, add something like a serving of rice, or a half of a yam, or 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread. This should give you some more energy, just as your oatmeal from breakfast is finished being digested. Or, instead of getting a nocarb protein bar, get one that is more of a meal replacement w/carbs. I think metrx makes one called the 100g bar or something similar, has protein, some fat, and carbs..

Old 02-25-2002, 09:30 AM   #5

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User

try adding a serving of rice, a slice of whole wheat bread, or half a yam.....in with your lunchtime meal, this will give you the carbs that you need for energy.

whoops, thought the earlier post didnt make it through..<p>[This message has been edited by TheShiftyEyedOne (edited 02-25-2002).]

Old 02-25-2002, 09:50 AM   #6
Inactive

GreenTea HB User

Drinking tons of water will help the sleepies, too.

Oh, and this is also physiological thing. Your body naturally has a "sleeping" time mid-day. That's why people in England have afternoon tea, for the caffeine boost.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #7
(female)

Wink HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. TheShiftyEyedOne hit on it I think. Adding a small amount of carbs for lunch just might do the trick. I'll give this a try and see how it goes!

Old 02-25-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
(female)

MarlaKate HB User

The same thing happens to me - I read somewhere that your peak nap time is about 12 hours after the middle of your night's sleep, give or take an hour or so. Basically, so if I am sleeping from 12am to 630am, my body will want a nap around 3:15.... does that make sense? I think that is why i get tired, because no matter what snack or lunch I do, I get sleepy. I always try to walk around and deliver things or go talk to people in person at about that time so I am not zoning out at my desk!

Old 02-25-2002, 01:17 PM   #9

paper clip HB User

Could be changes in blood sugar--a dip in the levels following the surge of lunchtime carbs.

I agree with Greentea, water is a major benefit in terms of sustaining normal alertness. In addition, I will consume 2-3 extra tablespoons of sea salt along with lots of water. This seems to do the trick for me.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:22 AM   #10

Ziek 6 HB User

I have the same thing happen to me and my solution is a trip to dunkin dounuts for tea around two or a 1/2 can of soda just something to boost my energy level it has gotten to the point where i get tea for just about everyone in the offfice it has become kind of a tradition LOL its good to know that im not alone also (i work in a very lax office) we turn the radio up a little bit and that seems to kinda help

Old 02-26-2002, 01:36 PM   #11

action HB User

I have found that anything with bread at lunch time puts me to sleep in the afternoon. I havent had bread/cereals for around 5 months now (since that memorable day when I zzzed off in a staff meeting!) and havent felt tired in the afternoon at all. I have a more substantial breakfast, usually - still trying to keep the protein high, so eggs, soy sausages or similar. I also have a protein shake or bar for lunch. Also, drink lots of water.

Closed Thread