It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002, 12:38 PM   #1

ozzifella HB User
source of non fat protein?

Howdy everyrone,

Im basically done with my weight loss now as i just went to the doctor and he said im in my healthy weight range now and have a normal BMI,You beauty!!!!!!(i went from 106.7 kilograms to 77 kilograms).I Just hope i can keep it off because as they say, losing the weight can be easy but keeping it off is the hardest.

Now i want to hit the weights and build some muscle as i want to tone up the body as there is the normal left over fat after a big weight loss.

What i would like to know is what is the best source of non fat protein to help me build some muscle.Im open to suggestion on supplements and normal foods that are rich in protein\

Thanks all

Old 05-27-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
Re: source of non fat protein?

whey is lean, so is poultry&egg whites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2002, 07:22 PM   #3

zooropa HB User

cottage cheese

Old 05-29-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
(male)

russ60 HB User

Just stay away from SOY----It's not good for you.Evidence is mounting!!!

Old 05-30-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

I am a huge fan of greens, for health and for weight loss, but they are not at all a good source of protein. The percents you list ar the percents of the calories in greens that come from their protein content. but greens have very low calorie content to begin with, so this is a good percent of a tiny number.

specifically, spinach--a favorite of mine--has only about five grams of protein in 180 grams of cooked spinach--and that is a LOT of spinach! a cup of raw spinach leaves (about one ounce by weight)has less than one gram of protein. brocolli is a great food indeed, but a cup of raw broc (88 grams, or just over three ounces) has less than three grams of protein.

just for comparison, one extra large egg (58 gms) has more than seven grams of protein (and it is very high quality, complete protein, by the way, something that is very hard to find in veggies). Three ounces of chicken--84 grams, not a huge portion, have almost 28 grams of protein!

If you're looking for vegetable sources of protein, beans are famous ones. for example black beans, 1 cup (172 grams) yields 15 grams of protein--about three times the protein in the same weight of cooked spinach. soy beans do even better, at about 22 grams of protein in a cup of cooked beans. nuts are an often overlooked vegl source of protein. almonds,for instance, yield about 6 grams of protein per ounce (28 grams).

So, one can get protein from veggies, and one can certainly get tons of healthful nutrients from greens, but adequate, complete protein is not one of them.

sean<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 06-02-2002).]

Closed Thread