It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Cutting Out Sugar & Processed Flours

Is there anyone out there who has lost weight by just cutting out sugar and processed flour products? I do not want to go on Atkins or Carbo-Addicts type diets!
My doctor has suggested that I cut out sugar and flour to lose weight and to try to lower my cholesterol. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:26 PM   #2

ANP HB User
Re: Cutting Out Sugar & Processed Flours

That sounds like a low carb diet to me. And, yes, you can lose weight on this diet. Just cut out breads,pastas, white starches like potatoes,rice. and watch the processed foods they have sugar and carbs in them. You'll be eating lots of salads,meats,and eggs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2001, 03:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

From the first posting here, it looks like more and more doctors out there are finally catching a clue and realizing the benefits of a lower carbohydrate style diet. My 68 year old mother's doc supports her efforts 100% with her very low carb diet similar to Atkins or Protein Power. If I can just get her to give up that estrogen replacement therapy she's been on for years we'll be making some progress.

Alan

Old 05-30-2001, 06:02 AM   #4
Inactive

MarshaS HB User

I donīt know, somone correct me if I am wrong, but isnīt it just the white rice and bread that is to be avoided? But brown rice which is in itīs natural state is ok, same with bread?

I have been cutting calories, therefore cutting carbs but I do still eat brown rice and wheat bread. Isnīt it just a matter of the amount that you eat?

Old 05-30-2001, 06:54 AM   #5

NICKI HB User

To me this kind of sounds like the "Sugar Busters" diet/book. A co-worker is on this and he cuts out sugar and flour and has lost over 30 lbs since 3/01. He seems to like it alot. I bought the book, but I haven't had time to really sit down and read it yet.

Old 05-30-2001, 07:27 AM   #6
Inactive

melvin29 HB User

great this is the base of all of this cut out sugar and white flour

Old 05-30-2001, 07:42 AM   #7
Unregistered

I don't think it would be consider low carb.... maybe lower carb. There are still plenty of carbs in potatoes, peas, carrots, corn ... one small baked potato has 51 grams of carb, That is more than a 1/2 cup serving of pasta.

As for will the diet work, for some people it does- everyones body is different. I tried it and it didn't work for me... it was great for maintaining my weight, but did NOTHING to help me loose. - no it isn't the portions for some of us, it is the food plain and simple. I was on a 1200-1400 calorie diet for 3 years.... plenty of excersize, no weight loss. My body just does not burn off fat if I have that stuff in my system.

I say give it a try and if it works great.... but if you try it, try sticking with it for at least a month.... my view on it is, the stuff isn't healthy for you anyway if it doesn't make you loose weight you are still making healthier choices.

Steph

<p>[This message has been edited by Cranlite (edited 05-30-2001).]

Old 05-30-2001, 08:02 AM   #8

redfox HB User

Hi. My dad just lost a bunch of weight in a fairly short time by cutting out bread, potatoes, alcohol (except for occasional wine at dinner), and adding walking to his daily routine. Maybe that would work for you, too.

Old 05-30-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran

robste HB User

Thanks to everyone for your replys. My dr. did not tell me to cut out all carbohydrates, he just said flour & sugar. I love baked potatoes and peas, so for now, I will continue to eat those.
A question...is whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta okay? It sounds to me that it's just the processed white flour that's the problem..does anyone know? And what about fruit? That's natural sugar, so I would think it's okay.

Old 05-30-2001, 09:48 PM   #10

richardthelionhearted HB User

What is o.k.? It depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you only what Dr. Atkins tells you is o.k. Other people will say that it is the animal products in your diet that are causing your problem. It is completely, totally subjective and there is no provable answer.

Low-cal worked for me. Cutting out sugar and processed flour may work for you. Give it a whirl. It won't hurt anything, there are no ingredients in sugar or flour that you won't get elsewhere in your diet, so you won't die of malnutrition anyway.

Old 05-30-2001, 09:51 PM   #11

richardthelionhearted HB User

What is o.k.? It depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you only what Dr. Atkins tells you is o.k. Other people will say that it is the animal products in your diet that are causing your problem. It is completely, totally subjective and there is no provable answer.

Low-cal worked for me. Cutting out sugar and processed flour may work for you. Give it a whirl. It won't hurt anything, there are no ingredients in sugar or flour that you won't get elsewhere in your diet, so you won't die of malnutrition anyway.

Closed Thread