It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2002, 12:00 PM   #1

penguin chick HB User
10 pounds make a difference?

I am less than 10 pounds away from my goal weight. Thing is though, I feel as if I have a lot more to lose based on the way my stomach and other areas of my body looks. I know you can't spot train but only lose all over body fat, so would losing these last 10 ponds of fat make the difference I'm hoping for? What I want to know is how much is 10 pounds of fat really? Is it enough if lost to make a difference in your overall appearance?

Old 08-07-2002, 12:17 PM   #2

justink80 HB User
Re: 10 pounds make a difference?

It's really hard to say.

Those last ten pounds could be the fat on your waist, which you said is a problem area. In that case, ten pounds could be the difference between a flat stomach or a more rounded stomach.

In a sense, ten pounds is a fairly decent amount of weight, especially in the form of body fat. Losing ten pounds of fat will definitely make a difference.

Or, perhaps your goal weight might need to be adjusted. Maybe it should be 5 or more pounds less than your current ideal weight.

In a lot of cases, the body will first want to deplete fat stores in the other areas of the body, because in a sense having fat in the stomach area is a protection for the important organs in that area, and sometimes the body is very stubborn at losing it.

But, I wouldn't worry. As long as you continue to exercise (you might want to add an extra 5 minutes to your cardio), do some strength training and eat healthy, the fat will eventually disappear, but it might take some time.

------------------
"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him!" --Friedrich Nietzsche

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2002, 12:36 PM   #3
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User

I don't know why everyone says there's no such thing as spot training. If an area looks fat because of lack of muscle, then unless you get your bodyfat really low, it's always going to look like just skin or fat there! You have to have some muscular build to tighten these areas up. This is why it's always good to have a resistance workout added to your cardio (if not part of the cardio) to help you lose the weight and tighten the areas up so your body firms up better. Of course there's still going to be "problem areas" where the fat will accumulate and can only be rid of by losing more bodyfat, but there is a large difference if there was no muscle there.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:49 PM   #4

harms623 HB User

I am actually trying to loose about 5 - 8 more pounds. I do think it will make a difference. As long as you are loosing the weight right. Water weight wont do anything, so you don't want to starve yourself or anything, which I am sure you are not doing.

When you eat right and exercise 10 pounds will look different. I am going for it! Good luck!

Old 08-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #5

DianeMarie73 HB User

ten lbs. makes a big differance. I know when I lose 10 it almost a whole size in my jeans.

Old 08-07-2002, 01:17 PM   #6

Lisa1171 HB User

I think 10 pounds can definitely make a difference. I just lost ten and I can tell- that's for sure. Try lifting up a ten pound weight and imagine you are carrying that around. I always do that when I lose weight to see what I was carrying around. Lifting weights will help you to tone your body and crunches work great for the abs, but you have to lose weight too for the abs to be more defined. Remember the more muscle you have in your body- the more calories you are burning throughout the day- not that I am suggesting for you to become a body builder. I just know that it helps me.

Old 08-07-2002, 02:14 PM   #7

someguyinhis20s HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkwolfofvoid:
<B>I don't know why everyone says there's no such thing as spot training.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think penguin chick meant to say spot reduce, not spot train. Of course, you can spot train, but what's the point? All it does is tighten the skin, but it doesn't address the underlying problem which is the fat covering the muscles. If a woman has a lot of fat on her arms, then what's the point in working her arms? The skin may tighten up but it won't change the fact that her arms are bigger than she'd like. It's the same thing with abs. You can do lots of ab work but all it'll do is push the fat out farther which is the last thing most people want.

Penguin Chick, there's no way to tell what a 10 pound difference will look like. I lost 10 pounds last month but I really can't see much difference. I lost an inch off my waist, an inch off my abdomen, and an inch of each thigh, but no one tell by looking at me that I've lost weight. It really depends on how much excess fat you have and where it's stored.<p>[This message has been edited by someguyinhis20s (edited 08-07-2002).]

Old 08-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #8

cAsPeR179 HB User

I think ten pounds would make A lot of difference...

Closed Thread