It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
(female)

abird70 HB User
Thanksgiving and Overeating... Let's share tips

No matter how many diets I try, when it comes to the holidays I always lose my will power. Does this happen to anyone else? It's very frustrating, and I always emerge after Thanksgiving with so much to make up for... and forget about the left overs. The worst thing I can do is get stuck in that guilt cycle where I overeat, feel bad about overeating, and overeat to make myself feel better. I just joined this program for emotional eaters called Shrink Yourself, and it's helping me get to the root of why I emotionally eat. It's great and I wanted to share it with all of you who may struggle with the same things I do.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Thanksgiving and Overeating... Let's share tips

abird70,

Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject about the holidays and will power. You want to know if this lack of will power happens to anyone else?
I think it's fairly widespread among the U.S. population. After Thanksgiving, most people have stories about how they stuffed themselves. It seems to be a tradition. I've read that many people eat as many as 3,000 calories during their big Thanksgiving meal. And that's just one meal.

For most of my life I went along with it because everyone said: "Oh, it's just one day and you're supposed to enjoy yourself." But over the past 15 years I have mostly avoided it. A few times I ate at home and just ate a normal size meal. And a few times I ate at restaurants. In either case there would be no left overs. And when I go to a restaurant I only eat one starch. Pick your favorite starch and forget the others. They will sometimes provide a baked potato, bread and corn etc.. To be continued later.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-24-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling and delete quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
(male)

phalouvas HB User

What I do is that I eat enormous during the big day but... I starve the next

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

katay HB User

I say eat and Enjoy yourself.... Just keep going onto each day with a new start no worries no guilt no shame... Live Your Life Happily and to the fullest! we all overeat even skinny people. I am 198 pounds and I am simply excersising and trying to watch my portions. I eat what I want, just in moderation.
God Bless You!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abird70 View Post
It's very frustrating, and I always emerge after Thanksgiving with so much to make up for... and forget about the left overs.
If you have left overs I guess that means you are preparing the meal at home. Well, a lot depends on how many people you are hosting and who you are hosting. Often there are big expectations that hosts feel they must satisfy. And the guests often feel they must eat everything or risk insulting the host. So it's a big fatening-up trap that everyone falls into. And it's very difficult to avoid.

One thing I would try to avoid is preparing too many starchy items. Look, if you're having sweet potatoes you certainly don't need white potatoes with gravy. It's totally ridiculous. Or, for example, if you have stuffing and rice, you should not put bread on the table. You need to make some choices like: rice or corn. Most people make the mistake of putting out every starch known to man. Thanksgiving, for many, has gotten totally out of control.

Then there's the problem of too many baked goods. In the past I've been invited to dinner where the host has baked three pies for 6 guests. Get real! It's just way too much. Then they offer ice cream to go with the pie.

When it comes to cranberry sauce, figure about 1/4 cup per person because each 1/4 cup contains about 21 grams of sugar. That's more than enough considering there will be a piece of pie at the end of the meal. These are very simple rules.

Quote:
The worst thing I can do is get stuck in that guilt cycle where I overeat, feel bad about overeating, and overeat to make myself feel better.
If you prepare the meal carefully, as outlined above, there won't be anything to feel guilty about. That means placing limits on the amount of food you prepare for the meal.

Quote:
I just joined this program for emotional eaters called Shrink Yourself, and it's helping me get to the root of why I emotionally eat. It's great and I wanted to share it with all of you who may struggle with the same things I do.
It is great! That's one of the best things I've heard of in a long time. If you stick with it, you will probably do very well. I'm not familliar with "Shrink Yourself" but I definitely agree that emotions have a lot to do with overeating, especially overeating the wrong foods.

What often happens when people don't stuff themselves? They feel: "Everyone is having fun except me." Poor me! And so they join in and keep eating and eating. It's all emotional.

So, stick with your program. Good luck!

Closed Thread