HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Weight Loss (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/)
-   -   How does Topamax cause weight loss? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/825178-how-does-topamax-cause-weight-loss.html)

Edalily 11-25-2010 11:39 PM

How does Topamax cause weight loss?

My Dr. gave me Topamax to combat my depression. While on Topamax,
I experienced some very strange side effects. Other than the fact that it made me retarded, it greatly increased my libido and caused me to lose crazy weight (both good things ;-) When I began to lose my hair, forget about it!!! Needless to say, I stopped taking it immediately. I put up with the funky side effects for so long due to AMAZING weight loss properties. Obviously I'd rather be fat than bald, but what is it about Topamax that makes a person lose weight? Can I get it in another form (other than diet and exersize)?

jonnstar 11-26-2010 03:02 AM

Re: How does Topamax cause weight loss?

It reduces appetite, so you eat less and lose weight.

If you need to lose weight, you could ask your doctor about a short course of phentermine (an appetite suppresant)

socialanxiety12 12-18-2010 05:10 AM

[QUOTE=Edalily;4630335]My Dr. gave me Topamax to combat my depression. While on Topamax,
I experienced some very strange side effects. Other than the fact that it made me retarded, it greatly increased my libido and caused me to lose crazy weight (both good things ;-) When I began to lose my hair, forget about it!!! Needless to say, I stopped taking it immediately. I put up with the funky side effects for so long due to AMAZING weight loss properties. Obviously I'd rather be fat than bald, but what is it about Topamax that makes a person lose weight? Can I get it in another form (other than diet and exersize)?[/QUOTE]

My dr gave me Topamax to combat my depression from gaining weight from ssri's and its worked great as mood stabilizer so far. All side effects went away after 2 weeks. I am on 100 mgs. I do get dehydrated if I dont drink enough water. I am surprised it increased your libido, that is rare and I doubt it would of continued if you would of stayed on it long term, although I dont think it has decreased mine. My appetite has returned but it has curbed my cravings and I dont crave sweets or snacks so I hope that weight lose will continue because I am not snacking. There are many diet drugs on the market that are appetite suppressants, the problem is that you gain the weight over time when you go off them and you cannot take them forever.

shucky ducky 12-21-2010 09:10 AM

I know that one side effect of the medicine is weight loss, but since when is Topamax prescribed to treat depression? I thought it was used to treat people who have seizures or who suffer from migranes?

socialanxiety12 12-22-2010 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=shucky ducky;4645470]I know that one side effect of the medicine is weight loss, but since when is Topamax prescribed to treat depression? I thought it was used to treat people who have seizures or who suffer from migranes?[/QUOTE]

Topamax and other anticonvulsants are used to treat bipolar disorder as they act as mood stabilizers. Mood stabilizers are often prescribed to those suffering from depression when ssri's fail. There are several off label uses for many medications, the fda requires many expensive and lengthy studies (for the safety of the public of course) that it can take years for a medication such as Topamax which is newer to get FDA approved for all its uses. I am not saying that Topamax should be prescribed to everyone with depression, I am not depressed. I suffer from anxiety, I had gained excessive weight from previous medication and was suffering from short term depression due to the weight gain/anxiety, the psychiatrist thought Topamax might be a good combo to combat both. Topamax is not really helping much with my anxiety though :confused:...

tasia013 12-28-2010 07:22 PM

I too suffer from anxiety, and also severe depression and have tried topamax with no success unfortunately. Let me know if it starts to work for you, any feedback is helpful.

socialanxiety12 12-29-2010 04:36 AM

Topamax is working for me, however I am also not working at my job right now, I am on a leave from my job. I am benefiting from Topamax as a mood stablizer and trying to lose some of the weight I gained from paxil. I am also going to be upping the dosage I am on - 100 mg to see if I can get more from the Topamax. When I return to work, I know I will have to add something for the anxiety. I feel Topamax helps with my generalized anxiety, but I also suffer from social anxiety and I dont think that it will help when I have to deal with certain situations.

I just read that another anti convulsant - Neurontin - similar to topamax is in testing phase for some forms of anxiety...you may want to research that.

Haven't heard of Topamax being used for depression? What dose did you get up to?

92261 12-29-2010 07:05 PM

Be careful on this Topomax. One of the long term side effects is kidney stones.