It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

NuklHed92 HB User
How do I lose weight in college?

Before i went into college i didnt play any sports or really do any physical activities in high school. i would play the occasional game of basketball or football with my friends but thats really it (they were all athletes in high school btw) i always had love handles and had a bit of a belly, but nothing crazy, i think it was just from not having abs. I am now going into my 2nd semester of my freshman year and live on campus. I dont think i have really gained the "freshman 15" but probably about 5 pounds but it makes a big difference to me. I am 5'7" and weigh around 155-160. I have never dieted, i always figured that i would just always have love handles and a minimum belly because i dont work out or do very physical things. so far ive eaten what i have wanted and really never gained weight, just stayed where i was at. one reason i think i never really gained weight is because i do not like pop, i used to only drink milk and a little bit of water, but now i have developed a lactose intolerance, so i only drink water. i also never drank alcohol until i got to college, i just found out today how bad beer is for u, i knew it wasnt too good, but it shocked me to hear it has around 200 calories a can. i only drink keystone or natural light, due to me being a poor college student and thats what everyone else drinks. i know people will say to cut out alcohol but, i came to college to have fun and live life because i felt i missed out on my high school parties. ive never dieted or really tried to lose weight, i mean here and there i would try to cut things out but i always just went back to the way i was.

when i was buying food to take to college, i wanted to eat healthy. instead of cheez its, i got nature valley granola bars and nutri grain bars. that is one thing i have stuck to, i have not eaten any other snacks other than that when i got to college.

so i want to at least lose around 5-10 pounds and get back to where i was at least, and maybe keep on going if i get into a good routine. i know u guys will tell me to go to my campus gym, but since i have never went to a gym other than to play basketball with some friends, i feel very self conscious about going there. i know this sounds lazy but i would like to cut out having to go to the gym. now, i know how to eat healthy (fruits, vegetables etc.) but the thing is, im a busy college student and dont really have time to cook actual healthy meals, so i ate frozen foods alot. fruits and vegetables go bad quick which means i will probably waste them because i have a meal plan and i sometimes am not a big eater. dont get me wrong, i like to indulge most of the time, but sometimes i eat very light when im busy. so what are some good alternatives for snacks and meals that are frozen or easy to cook. i really need some specific examples because i am going grocery shopping for food to take back with me to college.

sorry for the length and i really appreciate if you read it all, i just wanted u guys to understand my situation better. so what are some good things i can buy at the grocery store tomorrow to help me keep my calories down and be a little healthier?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
(female)

fumth385 HB User
Re: How do I lose weight in college?

weight watchers has really helped me. if not find a program or a friend to be accountable to. it helps when u are reporting o someone else. Also try nuts, vegetables (like carrots peas and celery) and ricecakes for snacks.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

If you have a freezer, frozen vegetables keep for a while until you defrost or cook them. So does frozen fish. And dried or canned beans.

Those bars might not be that great, despite their marketing, since they may be high in added sugars. Some of them also have long lists of long name ingredients.

Regarding beer, there is a reason why there is the term "beer belly".

But for optimal health, and to ensure that any weight loss is mostly fat loss rather than muscle loss, exercise is essential. Both cardio and strength training can be done at home with minimal equipment. Cardio can be done by running or bicycling outside, or jumping rope. Strength training can be done with body weight exercises like pushups, pullups, dips, squats, etc., although if your school has a well stocked gym for students, you may want to ask your athlete friends to teach you some basic weight exercises so that you can increase the weight as you get stronger.

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
(male)

NuklHed92 HB User

Thank u guys for the replies. I never even thought about frozen vegetables. Im at the store now. So far I've gotten frozen vegetables, rice cakes, canned pineapples, bananas, and some lean cuisine meals like steak portabello, chicken and vegetables, and some italian flatbread. Im sure the lean cuisine meals aren't the absolute best, but I needed some actual meals and food that actually looks good lol

Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

Hamasisha HB User

With regards to alcohol....okay, so obviously it would be better for you to not drink. Alcohol is full of calories, you tend to eat more when drunk, you tend to eat more when hungover/dehydrated/tired, and you're less motivated to work out when you're hungover.

BUT. Being just out of college I understand that simply stopping alcohol consumption is usually not going to happen.

So I would recommend the following tips which, when I was trying to lose weight in college, really helped me:

1. Stop drinking beer. Switch to vodka, but do not mix it with juice or pop. Instead, get soda water or tonic and a splash of juice, or try some sugar free flavored water (Aquafina sells flavor splash in lots of flavors, its fizzy, calorie free and tastes great). Try to stay away from high sugar drinks like Mikes Hard or Four Loko.

2. HYDRATE the next morning with a lot of water. Dehydration can lead you to eat more.

3. Have a protein packed breakfast. Eggs are a good hangover food, and will keep you full more than McDonalds breakfast.

4. If you are prone to coming home from a night boozing and eating snacks, that probably won't change, but you can change the snacks you eat. Get light popcorn (100 calorie packs are great), rice cakes, and other types of low-calorie salty snacks. Its not ideal to be stuffing your face at 3am but it happens, so just choose better options. My favorite drunk food was pickles, carrots and yellow mustard. Pretty gross! haha

Like I said, this isn't "healthy" advice - the better option is to stop drinking. But if you're going to drink, just do it the right way!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

Hamasisha HB User

Oh, and check out your campus gym. At mine they have great resources - grad students who are studying exercise science can give you personal training tips at low or no cost, and can help develop an exercise plan for you. For them, its part of their coursework, so I think its free. Depending on your school, you might have something similar.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
(male)

NuklHed92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamasisha View Post
With regards to alcohol....okay, so obviously it would be better for you to not drink. Alcohol is full of calories, you tend to eat more when drunk, you tend to eat more when hungover/dehydrated/tired, and you're less motivated to work out when you're hungover.

BUT. Being just out of college I understand that simply stopping alcohol consumption is usually not going to happen.

So I would recommend the following tips which, when I was trying to lose weight in college, really helped me:

1. Stop drinking beer. Switch to vodka, but do not mix it with juice or pop. Instead, get soda water or tonic and a splash of juice, or try some sugar free flavored water (Aquafina sells flavor splash in lots of flavors, its fizzy, calorie free and tastes great). Try to stay away from high sugar drinks like Mikes Hard or Four Loko.

2. HYDRATE the next morning with a lot of water. Dehydration can lead you to eat more.

3. Have a protein packed breakfast. Eggs are a good hangover food, and will keep you full more than McDonalds breakfast.

4. If you are prone to coming home from a night boozing and eating snacks, that probably won't change, but you can change the snacks you eat. Get light popcorn (100 calorie packs are great), rice cakes, and other types of low-calorie salty snacks. Its not ideal to be stuffing your face at 3am but it happens, so just choose better options. My favorite drunk food was pickles, carrots and yellow mustard. Pretty gross! haha

Like I said, this isn't "healthy" advice - the better option is to stop drinking. But if you're going to drink, just do it the right way!
first off im in my freshman year of college, not just getting out. im not being critical or anything, im just letting u know. also, i dont get hung over and i aready try not to make those 3 am taco bell runs when drunk. but those tips seem very useful and i will remember in the future. thank you

Closed Thread