It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

meamea HB User
I lost 30 pounds in a month... Is that ok?

I weighed 310 pounds before I attempted weight loss this time around. I am a 19 year old female. I lost 30 pounds in the past month just by altering my diet and adding a small amount of exercise. I moved to a house with stairs, my room not being on the main level which has really upped my use of stairs as well. I've heard that losing this much weight in this short of a time period is unhealthy... but everything I've done is healthy and I still feel great. Input?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I lost 30 pounds in a month... Is that ok?

Congratulations on sticking with your plan for a full month!

Well, 30 pounds is less than 10% of your original body weight, which means you were losing about 2% per week, which is the limit of healthy weight loss. Assuming you are eating a nutritionally adequate diet, it's probably ok.

Your weight loss will probably slow down somewhat in the next month. If you continue to lose that fast, I'd see a doctor, or consider whether you are cutting calories too deeply.

Another thing is, you may have been retaining water before. If you cut salt, you might be retaining less water. Puffiness in the limbs is a sign of water retention.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Howard8301 (07-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
meamea (01-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

meamea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Congratulations on sticking with your plan for a full month!

Well, 30 pounds is less than 10% of your original body weight, which means you were losing about 2% per week, which is the limit of healthy weight loss. Assuming you are eating a nutritionally adequate diet, it's probably ok.

Your weight loss will probably slow down somewhat in the next month. If you continue to lose that fast, I'd see a doctor, or consider whether you are cutting calories too deeply.

Another thing is, you may have been retaining water before. If you cut salt, you might be retaining less water. Puffiness in the limbs is a sign of water retention.
I've been eating a healthy diet, living with my fiance's family is healthier because they all eat what his diabetic grandmother has to eat pretty much, so it has to be healthy. I last lived with my father who cooks what he likes to eat: food of the insta-heart attack variety. Between my increased physical activity and my much healthier diet, I think it's a healthy loss. Thanks for the advice. I've been overweight/obese my whole life, and my recent life changes have really inspired me to get healthy.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: meamea
Fitjunky (01-20-2011), Howard8301 (07-26-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User

Congratulations on your loss. I, too am not worried about the 30 pound loss in one month, based on your higher weight and your youthful age you were bound to have a great first month. I would expect you to start slowing down, though. (although you might have a stellar second month as well)

I just want to encourage you to continue your new healthy lifestyle. Learn all you can about proper nutrition while with your fiance's family. (I think eating like a diabetic is a great way to learn healthy eating habits) Keep it up until eating this way becomes second nature, and when you and your future husband are "on your own", the eating habits you learned while living with them are yours forever.

Don't get discouraged when the weight loss slows. It inevitably will and is healthier for long term weight control. If you keep losing at a fast rate, I would increase your daily intake of healthy choices. Frequent small meals keep you satisfied and keep your metabolic furnace stoked.

I am so happy for you, stick with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to alpinemeadow For This Useful Post:
meamea (01-15-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
(female)

justme93 HB User

Wow! That is Amazing! Good job! Have you talked to your doctor about it? I lost 45 pounds in 16 weeks and feel great!

The following user gives a hug of support to justme93:
Fitjunky (01-20-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to justme93 For This Useful Post:
meamea (01-20-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
(female)

Young Senior HB User

I sure would love to loose 30 lbs. myself. I've been caring for family for 8 years and gained 40 lbs. How did you do it? You go girl!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
(male)

Odds HB User

As a percentage of your body weight, the rate at which you're losing weight doesn't strike me as unhealthy. And since you've made some positive changes in your diet as well as adding exercise, there's no reason to believe that anything's wrong with you.

So I'd say congratulations! Keep up the good work! Just remember that this is not a temporary fix. If you want to continue losing weight and you want to keep it off, you need to look at these changes as a lifestyle. Reverting to a poor diet with little or no exercise will eventually cause you to gain back the weight.

If you can handle that then you have a happy and healthy future ahead of you! Good luck!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
(female)

meamea HB User

I've just altered by diet to all wheat and whole grain food instead of white. Like wheat pasta, wheat bread, wheat flour. I also moved from a single level house to a bi-level house where my room is in the basement, as well as the laundry is, so I go up and down the stairs a lot more. I also have to walk a lot to get anywhere and it has helped me so much. I am now up to 40 pounds lost!

The Following User Says Thank You to meamea For This Useful Post:
Young Senior (01-22-2011)
Closed Thread