It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
(male)

eaglesfan90 HB User
working out eating right not losing weight

hey guys im 21 years old and weigh about 240 pounds at 5 foot 10. i have been working out for a month now and have lost 12 pounds so far but i lost that 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks i have done nothing but maintain my weight after eating low cal and working out. my work out consists of 20 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of weight lifting. my bmr is 2300 and i used to eat way lower than that but after seeing that im not llosing weight i started eating about 2000 calories a day and burned about 500 at the gym so total 1500. its my 4th week now and i have not lost a single pound. im not sure why this happens but i dont assume its from weight lifting cuz i dont lift too heavy. If anyone has any suggestions its greatly appreciated. I lose weight before about 75 pounds when i hit 185 but then i gained it all back because i lost it the wrong way. trying to do it again the right way just seems really impossible now. thanks for your help!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

InShapeAfter50 HB User
Re: working out eating right not losing weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan90 View Post
hey guys im 21 years old and weigh about 240 pounds at 5 foot 10. i have been working out for a month now and have lost 12 pounds so far but i lost that 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks i have done nothing but maintain my weight after eating low cal and working out. my work out consists of 20 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of weight lifting. my bmr is 2300 and i used to eat way lower than that but after seeing that im not llosing weight i started eating about 2000 calories a day and burned about 500 at the gym so total 1500. its my 4th week now and i have not lost a single pound. im not sure why this happens but i dont assume its from weight lifting cuz i dont lift too heavy. If anyone has any suggestions its greatly appreciated. I lose weight before about 75 pounds when i hit 185 but then i gained it all back because i lost it the wrong way. trying to do it again the right way just seems really impossible now. thanks for your help!
You don't say what you are eating, just the calorie count. Calories are important, but are not the whole story. You have to be sure to eat enough protein and to get all your vitamins and minerals. If the calorie count goes too low, your body goes into starvation mode. This means lowering your metabolism, storing as much fat as possible, creating cravings. It will do the same thing if the nutrition is too low. I would look at the work out too. Traditionally we have been told to do at least 20 min. of medium intensity cardio to get into "Fat burning mode". This did not work for me, But--recently I have read that if you exercise to the point of burning fat during the exercise your body responds by trying to REPLACE the used fat as soon as possible after the workout. What may be more effective is to exercise for a shorter time, but with much more intensity. You will not burn fat during the actual exercise. But you trigger a different adaptive response. Your body will burn fat after the exercise to REPLACE the energy stored in the muscle (sorry forgot the actual name of what is being replaced). Overall you burn the fat after the exercise, not during and more of it. I started this only this week. (I am eating MORE and exercising for only a few minutes, but full out, as hard and fast as I can, stopping when I get winded, not a sudden stop, I walk it off to cool down, when my heart rate is back close to normal do a second set. It is too soon to know if it works as well as they say. The initial results may not continue, but 4 pounds in 4 days is significant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread