It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

lyssaness11 HB User
Confusing weight gain - help!

I'm trying to get in shape for the summer (lose a few pounds and tone up), and I started by giving up sweets for lent. In addition to that, I've been eating healthy and exercising 4-5 times per week.

It's been almost 6 weeks, and the plan has backfired - I've actually GAINED weight. I have no idea why - I haven't eaten sugar, I don't eat fast food, and if I ever over-eat, it's healthy food. Am I secretly allergic to something?

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited by lyssaness11; 04-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

InShapeAfter50 HB User
Wink Re: Confusing weight gain - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssaness11 View Post
I'm trying to get in shape for the summer (lose a few pounds and tone up), and I started by giving up sweets for lent. In addition to that, I've been eating healthy and exercising 4-5 times per week.

It's been almost 6 weeks, and the plan has backfired - I've actually GAINED weight. I have no idea why - I haven't eaten sugar, I don't eat fast food, and if I ever over-eat, it's healthy food. Am I secretly allergic to something?

Any ideas or similar experiences?
Are you measuring your progress just by the scale? If so you may be losing fat but it doesn't show on the scale yet because you are also gaining muscle. Muscle looks better than fat, but it is heavy. If you build muscle first then lose the fat as a lot of people do, the numbers on the scale go up first, but then come down again. Your proportions and the % body fat may be improving. Did you take measurements, arms, thighs, waist, hips? How do your clothes fit?
If you look and feel better forget the scale.
On the other hand if the inches are not going down either you may need to make some adjustments to your program. Jot down what you have eaten (and drank) over a couple of days, and be more specific with exercise routines you are doing. You haven't given a lot of info. There are a lot of people who can give you good advice if they have all the information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

beatthescale HB User
Re: Confusing weight gain - help!

Have you been taking body measurements? Because as you workout you gain muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat. So the issue may be that you are actually burning calories and losing fat, but the scale isn't reflecting it because you are gaining muscle mass at the same time.

Be sure to take body measurements to see if/when you are losing inches. A quick and easy reference is to look at yourself in the mirror, do you look more toned/fit or use your favorite pair of jeans. Do they fit better or looser?

Good luck!

Closed Thread