It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

Smlpkg122 HB User
Walking and gaining??

Hi,

I am a 56-year-old, 5 foot woman who had to have a hysterecomy back when I was 22 due to severe endometriosis. Over the years and of course with stopping smoking I put on weight, most all of it in the mid-section. My physician said that I could do 100 situps a day but once the muscles in the abdomen have been cut (I ended up have 2 open procedures and 3 laparoscopic) that your stomach muscles will never be tight. I realize that but at the first of the year I changed my eating regimen (as I was always a junk food junkie) and I walk 3 miles a day at 3.5 on the treadmill at 1-2% incline 7 days a week. I am so disgusted as for a while I had dropped a pound of two, but lately now doing really nothing different I have gone back up to my starting weight. I am not real heavy (135 pounds) but for a 5 foot person carrying all of it in the middle it is a lot. Any ideas why I would be working out walking and gaining? I thought walking was good for losing weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
(female)

Smlpkg122 HB User
Re: Walking and gaining??

I actually have been watching my labels and eating ALL foods that are low in calories. Initially, I started the walking because I was trying to lower my BP (which I am happy to say I have managed to go off the Lisinopril) and just on Metoprolol now. I have a calorie counter on my Iphone and I have been at about 1200 a day until they take off the 250-300 burned in walking and then I am at about 900. So this why I just cannot understand it. My mother who has been a "weight watchers" woman for years keeps telling me that it is because I don't have much to lose and that maybe by walking I am gaining muscle weight. But, I thought muscle was suppose to start burning up the fat. Geez.........All my life I never had to worry. I was always under 100 pounds until I quit smoking 10 years ago and then got to my 40-50s. Now it is just a rediculous battle. Every 6 months I notice I keep creeping up and up. That is why I started this regimen in January. However, it is depressing that it is not doing anything after all the hard work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's true, exercise can cause you to gain muscle. If your weight on the scale is staying the same, but your clothes are a little looser, you might be losing fat and gaining muscle.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
(female)

hollns HB User

Maybe try mixing the exercise up a little. I know that if you do too much of the same sort of exercise your body becomes used to it and you stop losing as much as you could by surprising your body with different sorts of exercise. Worth a try and good luck.
H.x

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

My doctor told me that "You lose weight with diet, you get fit with exercise." I know that's a simplification, but many people have difficulty losing weight with exercise. I know I do. I only lose significant amounts of weight when I diet AND exercise, as opposed to exercise alone. I've been walking and hiking a lot this spring and have put on 5 lbs so it's time for me to adjust my diet.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
(female)

PeggySweetwater HB User

Uh, yeah, I'd say so.

Last edited by PeggySweetwater; 05-30-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Closed Thread