It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

CanePhins HB User
Working on a diet, but not sure if going about it the right way...

So I'm 16 years old, around 5'11 and before the diet I began a week ago I was probably somewhere from 205-210 pounds. So first off let me just say that I was shocked at just how easy its been to stop the constant snacking and eating cheap junk food. Now I realize that continuing without doing either of those things is a different story, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to refrain from doing that very often from now on.

Anyway, I do think I'm eating healthy, but my parents are concerned that I may be eating too little. Throughout last week I would have a sandwich that consisted of fat free American cheese on wheat bread for breakfast (I wake up at around 9 AM everyday), then at around 2 PM I would have whatever my mom made for lunch (usually something like beans or chicken accompanied by wheat rice), and I would go without eating for the rest of the day. Well, I went to talk to my aunt who happens to be a nurse (if I had the funds needed, I would gladly visit a nutritionist) and she told me that I should eat 5-6 times a day to keep my metabolism going. So yesterday and today that's exactly what I did. In between meals I would have a snack like an Activia yogurt or a fruit (bananas, apples), and the last thing I ate was a hard boiled egg without the yolk. The problem is that I'm having trouble going to the bathroom. I've always struggled with constipation but I've probably only "pooped" (for lack of a better term) once in the past two days. I'm assuming that can't be helping my diet.

As for exercise, I usually swim for about 30-45 minutes a day and walk my dog for around 30 minutes. Some days I'll shoot the basketball for a bit out in my driveway (I would say like 20-25 minutes), but its not an everyday thing like the other two. Anyway other than that I really don't do any exercise and just sit and use my laptop or watch TV. I'm hoping to get a job soon so that I can maintain busy and not be such a couch potato.

Look, I'm tired of being overweight and I'm committed to losing weight, but I need to know that I'm not wasting my time. I haven't been weighing myself (don't have a scale at home) but I've noticed some improvement already. My face definitely looks skinnier, my thighs are relatively the same and when viewed from the front - my stomach really doesn't look different than before, but when I look at my side, there does appear to be some noticeable weight loss. However its not like I remember 100% how I looked before the diet, so I could be overstating it. I really don't know how far ahead I should be when it comes to me appearing thinner.

Can somebody please take into account the information I've included in this post and tell if I'm on the right track or if I need to change something? I would really appreciate it because as you can see, I'm a bit over my head. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-29-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: moved to weight loss board at your request

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Working on a diet, but not sure if going about it the right way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanePhins View Post
So first off let me just say that I was shocked at just how easy its been to stop the constant snacking and eating cheap junk food.
You've taken a big step in the right direction by not continuing to eat "cheap junk food". Although it may take some time for healthy results to show.

Quote:
Anyway, I do think I'm eating healthy, but my parents are concerned that I may be eating too little.
You could eat a lot more, providing you eat fresh non-starchy vegetables. You could fill up on a salad, for example. Vegetables like carrots, celery, cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce are very low in calories. You're not eating healthy if you're ignoring vegetables.

Quote:
Throughout last week I would have a sandwich that consisted of fat free American cheese on wheat bread for breakfast......, then at around 2 PM I would have whatever my mom made for lunch (usually something like beans or chicken accompanied by wheat rice), and I would go without eating for the rest of the day.
No vegetables? I don't know how anyone could expect to maintain long-term good health and a healthy weight without some fresh (non-starchy) vegetables.

Quote:
Well, I went to talk to my aunt who happens to be a nurse (if I had the funds needed, I would gladly visit a nutritionist) and she told me that I should eat 5-6 times a day to keep my metabolism going.
Did she suggest that you eat some fresh vegetables? Hopefully, a nutritionist would. (Although, you might be surprised to learn that a lot of nutrition professionals will tell you that there's no such thing as bad food; and that means there's no such thing as good food either. )

Quote:
The problem is that I'm having trouble going to the bathroom. I'm assuming that can't be helping my diet.
Constipation is hurting your diet more than you know and constipation is often caused by a diet that's low in fiber. Why don't you try eating a big salad for lunch and put the beans and chicken in the salad. Not just a side dish but a big salad bowl full. (Use some lemon juice and about one or two teaspoons of olive oil for dressing.)

Quote:
As for exercise, I usually swim for about 30-45 minutes a day and walk my dog for around 30 minutes. Some days I'll shoot the basketball for a bit out in my driveway (I would say like 20-25 minutes), but its not an everyday thing like the other two.
That seems good providing your dog is a fast walker and doesn't stop to sniff. And you might try doing a little stretching (hourly?) after watching TV.

The most important thing I can see, for improvement, is that you start eating lots of fresh vegetables. I would venture to say that most overweight people don't like vegetables. And if they say they do, it usually means potatoes or a salad so small you'd need a magnifying glass to see it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-29-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: word change

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
(male)

CanePhins HB User
Re: Working on a diet, but not sure if going about it the right way...

First of all, thanks a ton for taking the time to reply to my topic. I really do appreciate it. It is a bit discouraging to hear how constipation is hurting my weight loss, mainly because its always something I've struggled with. Even when I've tried to implement more fiber in my diet, it only works at the beginning, then my body seems to adjust or something and I'm back to struggling with it. I really should consult a MD about it.

Also about eating more vegetables, if you really think its necessary then I'll try it out. I mean I hate them outside of potatoes, tomatoes and lettuce, but I never ate those either, so if I add them to my diet it'll still be an improvement.

Failure is not an option when it comes to me losing this weight. If I'm still overweight by the end of the summer, I don't know what I'll do.

Closed Thread