It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

Almaria HB User
Question Question Regarding Weight Loss Expectations

Hi!

I've been starting and then not following through for a while. Stress and bad food choices, primarily triggered by the stress, have resulted in me putting on about 10-15 lbs in the past 6 months. This means my clothes don't fit, and I cannot afford to buy a whole new wardrobe!

I've started making better eating choices, being careful to get enough calories, but also trying to keep from getting too many. Making snacks during the day healthy and as whole food-related as my budget will allow. And drinking just water except for the milk with my cereal. I might, at the end of the day, allow myself about 2 oz of soda b/c I don't think depriving myself of something I enjoy entirely is going to promote me sticking to this!!!

I've also started working out every day. Currently, the gym at my apt complex is closed for updating so what I've been doing is:

Jogging in my apartment (it's far too hot to jog outside!) for 5 or more minutes (am slowly increasing--am at 6:15 this morning!). I'm not jogging in place, but rather a very small "track" in the living room. 50 jumping jacks. 10 squats. 20 crunches, both regular and obliques (5 sets of: 4 regular, switch to 8 total, 4 each side, alternating obliques, then "bicycling" in the air for a count a count of 20). Working on getting to "real" pushups. And then doing seven ballet related exercises that primarily target the thighs, calves, and glutes, but also some upper body.

Also, not for the whole day, but during the day I try to use a balance ball rather than a chair/couch when sitting.

My question is, today is day four of this. And I realize that's still very early on! I want to lose about 15 lbs. As I said, this is day four, and so far, the scale shows that I'm not moving at all. And this is with weighing at the same time every day. So, when should I, reasonably, start to see results rather than just feeling extremely sore? I take the soreness as a sign that I'm doing something right, that I'm working muscles that have been long neglected, but it's going to be hard to continue if I only feel pain and get no results! So what is a reasonable expectation as to when I should start seeing some weight loss?

Last edited by Almaria; 07-21-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarification, making my point clearer and reducing potential confusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Question Regarding Weight Loss Expectations

Sounds like you are doing a lot of strength training! Good choice. Strength training will improve your bone density, decrease body fat, and give you more energy to go about your day. It will also help you look toned and healthy.

However, because you are strength training, you might not lose much weight. You'll lose fat, but you'll gain muscle, so the number on the scale might not move much.

Try measuring your middle with a tape measure, or find a pair of pants that you can barely squeeze shut. When the pants get looser, you've lost fat.

However, it's going to take about 2 weeks for any measurable results.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Almaria (07-21-2011)
Closed Thread