It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

krakerznut52 HB User
Metabolism stuck? In need of a push??

I'm new here and hoping I'm on the correct board...I am 59 y/o female. I have only had yo-yo weight problems since I was in my early 40's, until I had a hysterectomy. Then I was able to slim down, and stay that way for years.

So, I tossed it up to hormonal problems. Then my spine started degenerating on me, and lack of exercise caused me to gain back the 30 pounds I had lost. Now, I have developed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and have had 3 spinal fusions, so exercise has to be limited to walking, swimming, low impact at best. If I strain myself in any form, I'm down for days.

Anyway, my question is, with the chronic fatigue, I'm considering trying a thyroid supplement (herbal). I've had the T3, T4 tests, and they're always 'slightly' low, but docs never feel low enough to supplement with prescriptions.

I'm on various pain meds, anti-depressant, nerve med, and hormonal supplements. And as a disabled nurse, I AM concerned about taking just anything. I know that just because it's labled 'natural' doesn't always mean it's completely safe. My hope is that it would not only give me more energy, but help me burn some calories, too.

Anyone out there have any ideas, experience, wisdom in this arena? I walk 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week, and swim when the weather allows (which is about most days for 4-5 months in Arizona). NOTHING is working to get rid of this weight!

I monitor my calories and rarely take in more than 1100/day. Thanks for reading and helping out, if you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Metabolism stuck? In need of a push??

Well, the antidepressants and nerve meds may be contributing to the weight problem. Still, it might help to log your food and exercise for a couple weeks, then take it to the doctor. If he can SEE that you really are controlling calories, he might reconsider the thyroid issue.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Re: Metabolism stuck? In need of a push??

I agree with janewhite1. A/D's are notorious for weight gain. Nerve meds are the same, Neurontin and Lyrica both will cause weight gain. I am dx'ed hypothyroidism and treated with Synthroid. If you don't really need thyroid meds I wouldn't push it. I have read studies that show increasing thyroid medications do not result in weight loss. I have tried so-called thyroid supplements and found them useless. The other issue none of us want to admit to is age. Some people gain weight as they age and losing it as darn near impossible. I think it is more important to focus on healthy living as we age, good diet and exercise, and less on the weight.

Closed Thread