It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Food Addicts Anonymous

I'm wondering if anybody out there has ever joined or is currently a member of Food Addicts Anonymous. If so, how has the program helped you to lose weight? I'm currently giving it a try and it seems to offer so much help to folks like me who tend to binge on sugar and flour products.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User
Re: Food Addicts Anonymous

I went to a meeting about 3 or 4 years ago as a special guest with a friend of mine who was a member of the group and doing their eating plan. He lost over 300 lbs in less than 3 years. I must say I was very impressed with the group. Very supportive and they offer an atmosphere where you can just let you hair down and be yourself. You are allowed and encouraged to be brutally honest about your food addiction. And they are very helpful in helping you stay clean. It really is a fantastic group to join. Unfortuanately, I was not able to join because I never felt like I was strong enough to give up sugar and flour. It takes 100% commitment to do that but the benefits are unbelievable! It literally saved my friend's life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I have been part of several programs (binge eater of over 35 years) and I found that low carb diets strongly diminish my cravings for sweets. Right now I am doing Weight Watchers and it is a very sane way of eating because if your cravings are so diminished you CAN have "just one piece" of cake...and this had never been my experience.
There is another program that I highly recommend if you feel that your cravings have a psychological aspect, as mine did...it's called Shrink Yourself by Dr. Roger Gould, and it is an online program that worked miracles in my life.
If you are willing to give up sugar for the rest of your life, then maybe FA is for you. I was unhappy with that program because they encourage you to believe that what you're eating is poison and you can never touch it again. That's not something I can do for a lifetime.

best, Sue

Last edited by slenderella; 08-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
I was unhappy with that program because they encourage you to believe that what you're eating is poison and you can never touch it again. That's not something I can do for a lifetime.
I STRONGLY believe that both flour and sugar are poison. I'm gluten-sensitive and for the first time in years, I severely restricted the flour products I consumed last week and, I swear, I feel better now than I have felt in months!!! I'm not exhausted and cloudy like I usually am, my skin is clearing and I'm actually looking forward to going to my cycling class this evening, which I can't even tell you the last time I looked forward to exercising.

Yes, cutting sugar and flour completely from your diet will be one of the hardest things you will ever have to do, but, if you can, I say go for it. Or, at the very least, restrict your consumption of it. It will change you, both physically and mentally.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Shucky Ducky! Well...I've been about 6 weeks now without any sugar or flour and I can honestly say that I feel so much healthier - exactly as you've explained it! I got on the scale for the first time in 4 weeks and I've lost 11.9 lbs. in a little over one month!! I'm still eating very healthfully and feel better each day. I am also just beginning an exercise program that includes cycling on a three wheel adult recumbent cycle. I can't go very far yet because I have so many physical disabilities and pain, but it is the first "exercise" of any kind that I've attempted in years and years. Thanks for your input. BB

Closed Thread